Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Any chance an employer wouldn't pay for J if 4x/yr Asia trips are required?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any chance an employer wouldn't pay for J if 4x/yr Asia trips are required?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by deniah
We know many policies exist across F500:
* J for everyone
* J for everyone for travel longer than certain length/duration
* J for people above a certain band/seniority
* J for people above a certain band/seniority AND for travel longer than certain length/duration
* J as above with exception that individual VPs/directors can deny J
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by Visconti
Generally speaking, here's what I find a reasonable policy for Asia. If anyone in the company flies J, then everyone required to travel this route should be accorded the same. However, if it's Y for everyone, then, while I wouldn't like it, I'd find it acceptable and fair. What I'd find unacceptable is Mr. Boss in F/J, while assistant in Y.

Personally, I think Asia in J is reasonable, given the distance and potential challenges associated with Y in many Asian destinations.
I agree with that. I worked for a Taiwanese company that had a policy of J travel for senior executives (president, executive vice presidents), PE for middle execs (assistant vice presidents, directors) and Y for everyone else. I was a director, so I flew PE, but i really disliked the class distinctions. A couple of times when I flew to TPE with one of my direct reports, I flew Y in solidarity with them.

Another company I worked for had a deal with NW / KLM for discounted business. You could fly J on them, or Y on anyone else. I had a lot of those little houses after a few years.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
* J as above with exception that individual VPs/directors can deny J
oh yes, we've had that instance too with temporal travel restrictions, or 'downgrades' of policy

for OP asking if theres a strong pattern or overwhelming correlation of policies that ensure J, given the known parameters, the answer is definitely not
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no "generally speaking" and it rarely matters that the employer is F500.

Any job which involves substantial travel ought to include a discussion of the travel policy. It is never wrong to ask and it can be done in a non-judgmental way. Just understand that if you are joining a company where the C-suite flies all Y all the time, you won't be sitting in J.

Whether that all makes sense is a different debate.
Zeeb likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Often1
Just understand that if you are joining a company where the C-suite flies all Y all the time, you won't be sitting in J.
Is there a F500 where that is true
Old Nov 28, 2019, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
Wife just had an interview and got a verbal offer for a position with a F500 company. The position will likely require about 4 trips to Asia a year for 1-2 weeks each. They didn't give her a number yet, but the position will probably pay in the lower-mid 100s.

Wife didn't think to ask during the interview (and it may have been awkward to ask), but the first question I had was whether this travel would be in J. 4x/year to Asia in Y would be a non-starter to me.

Obviously nobody on here can say for sure, but this forum has a lot of collective knowledge about corporate travel. So, I thought I'd ask. For an employee at that pay level at a F500 company, is there any reasonable chance they'd make her fly Y and not pay for J?
For most of my friends: J to asia but not Europe. (time and distance) But as someone has said, you should get enough points to upgrade if not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.