Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Any chance an employer wouldn't pay for J if 4x/yr Asia trips are required?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any chance an employer wouldn't pay for J if 4x/yr Asia trips are required?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
They probably get paid extra $ to upgrade themselves so it looks good when they say "we only pay for PE"
Engineers are a frugal bunch, i dont see many self upgrading on their own dime.

That said, the most common loophole used is to find the most expensive quote for Y/PE, then submitting a waiver for VP approval for a cheaper J option. Most VPs tend to approve especially on flights to Asia.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
As others have indicated corporate travel policies can vary widely even outside of company size. In the consulting world travel expenses are billed back to the client. In my company is the client bulks at out travel policy (J for anything over 10 hours total flight time) consultants are forced to abide by what the client wants. Surprisingly some of the largest most successful companies are the stingiest. We've had Fortune 500 companies complain about paying for a US resource to fly to Europe in Y.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
We've had Fortune 500 companies complain about paying for a US resource to fly to Europe in Y.
Do they expect you to go by boat?
thebigben likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
How often does that extra day just happen to be during the weekend before or after a week of meetings ?
+1. I do this with our Y only policy and is not an issue. Everyone benefits -- I can recover from the Y and be productive first day of business, company spends an extra $300 - 400 instead of $5000, and I get to explore the city in question
enviroian, krazykanuck and ajGoes like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
Four trips a year to Asia isn’t very many. I wouldn’t feel comfortable hiring someone who insisted on business for this level of travel.
Lol. As a person who hires people, I was thinking very much the same thing. It’s good it came up here on FT and not during interview.

Would be a ‘no hire’ if the person expected it then, obviously.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Lol. As a person who hires people, I was thinking very much the same thing. It’s good it came up here on FT and not during interview.

I get that you're a big scary boss who has the power to hire and fire people, but perhaps you ought to consider what your post added to the thread and whether it was responsive to the question posed. The poster whose message you quoted (which insinuated that my wife was insisting/demanding that the company fly her TPAC J) was corrected, and honorably walked back his prior post (see post #49 ). I'm not sure why you're rehashing this. Contrary to your implication, there is nothing in any of my posts suggesting that my wife was dumb enough walk into her interview and demand that they fly her in J to Asia.

I thank all the wonderful folks who have provided great and helpful responses, but it's a shame that a couple of posters have found the need to personally attack my wife and I for no good reason.
84fiero and ajGoes like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by warakorn
I work for a 100b yearly revenue corporation -> You'll be laughed out of the room if you insist on flying J.
The person walking out of the room will certainly be having the last laugh Travel is tiring and demands a lot of time out of your employees. It's not a 40 hour work week if you're not home.

Unless you're only looking to hire people who don't bring much value to your company, there always comes a point where the value your employee brings outweighs the cost of J, it's just that many companies prefer an attractive balance sheet to having the best employees, which, to be fair, is not easy to quantify and isn't really going to transpire in the investor documentation.
lost_perspicacity and ajGoes like this.

Last edited by thebigben; Nov 21, 2019 at 7:36 am
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Do they expect you to go by boat?
Expecting a local resource seems the logical alternative.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
I get that you're a big scary boss who has the power to hire and fire people, but perhaps you ought to consider what your post added to the thread and whether it was responsive to the question posed. The poster whose message you quoted (which insinuated that my wife was insisting/demanding that the company fly her TPAC J) was corrected, and honorably walked back his prior post (see post #49 ). I'm not sure why you're rehashing this. Contrary to your implication, there is nothing in any of my posts suggesting that my wife was dumb enough walk into her interview and demand that they fly her in J to Asia.

I thank all the wonderful folks who have provided great and helpful responses, but it's a shame that a couple of posters have found the need to personally attack my wife and I for no good reason.
Some people seem to lack basic reading comprehension skills - or don't care to take the time to understand others. I wouldn't want to work for such folks. Glad you got some useful info. It's been interesting comparing different policies.
LAX_Esq and ajGoes like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Someone that is in the prime of their career bringing a wealth of experience could probably walk away from a position that only pays for Y travel. Someone younger and/or being given a chance at acquiring new, in demand skills should tone it down and not even ask. If its Y then its Y. Suck up the skills and experience and ultimately if appropriate and optimal look for greener pastures.

Moreover, some companies are more flexible with travel. One might be able to travel a day ahead to rest up. Even flying in J longhaul can take it out of you. Some companies are open to an extra PTO day after long travel.
thebigben likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by thebigben
The person walking out of the room will certainly be having the last laugh Travel is tiring and demands a lot of time out of your employees. It's not a 40 hour work week if you're not home..
Yep, it's very FlyerTalk to think that 4x/year trips to TPAC trips is not a lot of travel when a lot of folks on here are on the road every week and racking up 200K+ BIS miles a year. But 4 TPAC trips is well over 50K miles, which puts one easily above middle-tier elite status. That's objectively a lot of a travel if we consider the overall travel patterns of white collar workers in America. So unless someone has no other options, it's definitely worth thinking taking a closer look at the conditions of this travel.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Someone that is in the prime of their career bringing a wealth of experience could probably walk away from a position that only pays for Y travel. Someone younger and/or being given a chance at acquiring new, in demand skills should tone it down and not even ask. If its Y then its Y. Suck up the skills and experience and ultimately if appropriate and optimal look for greener pastures.
That also depends if they have other job offers on the table and how they compare in compensation and travel.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 12:56 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moderator note:

Folks - remember: play the ball, not the player.

Feel free to agree, disagree, offer differing thoughts. However, per FT Rules, please avoid getting personal with your comments.

/Moderator
Old Nov 22, 2019, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
Four trips a year to Asia isn’t very many. I wouldn’t feel comfortable hiring someone who insisted on business for this level of travel.
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX

At what level of travel would you be comfortable hiring people who insisted on J ?

For what it's worth, I would actually insist on J travel for anything over 5+ hours. I wouldn't agree to fly a day before since it eats into family time.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 5:42 am

Generally speaking, here's what I find a reasonable policy for Asia. If anyone in the company flies J, then everyone required to travel this route should be accorded the same. However, if it's Y for everyone, then, while I wouldn't like it, I'd find it acceptable and fair. What I'd find unacceptable is Mr. Boss in F/J, while assistant in Y.

Personally, I think Asia in J is reasonable, given the distance and potential challenges associated with Y in many Asian destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.