Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Jobs that fly a lot

Jobs that fly a lot

Old Sep 17, 19, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Jobs that fly a lot

Having spoken to people in different jobs Iím trying to figure what the business flyers in business class do for a job.

From relations/friends:
Business class-Pharmacy marketing manager
Partner at a Magic Circle Law firm
someone seniorish at PwC
Very junior management consultant

Economy- Trainee/associate at a major US law firm
Senior associate at that same law firm (think £200k+ salary)

What do you do that company policy allows you to travel Business class?
Old Sep 17, 19, 2:30 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Probably not the best forum for this, as it's BA specific.

Look at the follow forum, where this has been discussed before :-

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/
speed.skater likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 2:48 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
F1 team race engineer business class
F1 mechanic economy
Old Sep 17, 19, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Captain and flight attendant are the main jobs aimed towards lots of flying.
Old Sep 17, 19, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by watsonville View Post
Having spoken to people in different jobs Iím trying to figure what the business flyers in business class do for a job.

From relations/friends:
Business class-Pharmacy marketing manager
Partner at a Magic Circle Law firm
someone seniorish at PwC
Very junior management consultant

Economy- Trainee/associate at a major US law firm
Senior associate at that same law firm (think £200k+ salary)

What do you do that company policy allows you to travel Business class?
I was chatting to someone in J the other week who was a comedian / juggler on cruise ships... reckoned did 30+ mid/long haul returns a year. I admit to thinking they were taking the proverbial and checked out their online profile which did seem to match.
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Another data point in the UK

Universities/Education organisations
Student recruitment officers and managers/other staff – Economy (some offer W, and others occasionally business, depending on the university and the journey)
International Directors and other senior management – Business
Lecturers/academics – can be either

Given the recent changes and other threats to the sector, many institutions are rolling back J travel - even for senior staff. Student recruitment officers typically spend 20-25 weeks a year on the road, so there's no way universities are going to pay for J at that level. Generally academics have had J, as travel is broadly outside of their day to day work, and it's quite arduous for them to fit in trips supporting recruitment activities. A lot of them would just refuse to travel if it were Y only.
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:02 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I'm mid level in private equity and have to travel a lot. I was previously a junior investment banker

The distinction between business and economy is more normally based on flight length rather than job title. E.g. everywhere I have worked has been economy for short flight up to 4 or 5 hours and business beyond, regardless of seniority.

However, some places may tweak their travel policy based on seniority, where the threshold for business class kicks in at a shorter point.
Redhead likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
If you want to fly First Class I think you're nowadays more or less limited to being a member of the Actor's Guild or a senior banker. I'm working on my blue steel pose and my ability to remember lines at the moment.

Business class, just find a job where you add enough value that you're not allowed to sleep nights in your own bed.
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:54 am

Programs: "Only" 60,000 TPs until GGLfL
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
If you want to fly First Class I think you're nowadays more or less limited to being a member of the Actor's Guild or a senior banker. I'm working on my blue steel pose and my ability to remember lines at the moment.

Business class, just find a job where you add enough value that you're not allowed to sleep nights in your own bed.
Most banks only allow First Class travel for Board members. Hedge funds and Private Equity tend to be a bit more liberal.
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
A junior-ish friend of mine working for an engineering company flew EK F return to Pakistan because J was sold out on one sector. So its not just finance and showbiz people in F cabins!
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
OnBoardCourier (OBC) based at LHR. Although have to say not much F or J flying happening here !!
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:21 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
As a link to a forum where this has been extensively discussed in the past has been provided, and there is no specific connection to BA here, we’ll close the thread at this stage and ask for further contributions to be made in TravelBuzz.

/mod
argonath and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 9:15 am

Programs: AS DL
I know of a repairman that is on the plane almost daily and most weeks of the year. Only rarely is he in his hometown to do hometown repairs. He fixes a specific type of equipment, mostly located in cities and where he only needs about two heavy suitcases worth of parts and tools. Some parts are Fedex'ed to customers for him to install.

There is a $2000 trip charge. My guess is the average repair is $4000. The new price of the machine is $50,000 to $80,000.
Old Sep 17, 19, 9:45 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75K
Many tech companies (except for Amazon) allow J for all employees regardless or rank/tenure on transcon and international flights. Just pick a role that involves lots of travel (e.g., technical sales, evangelist, hardware PM, etc).
Old Sep 17, 19, 10:09 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
US tech company (not silicon valley) - business class on longhaul legs (over the oceans) although they're starting to push for premium economy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: