Jobs that fly a lot

Old Sep 17, 19, 10:15 am

Programs: UW*, UL*S
As a grad student I fly to conferences with hard cash limits. University policy (blanket to all employees and students) dictates that we fly economy if domestic or transborder. If international, then business class is considered.

To pad segments I'll determine that YEG-YOW is very similary priced to YEG-YYC-YWG-YYZ-YOW (sometimes even worse if the schedules work out) and have a day of small torture while I do assignments and writing on the iPad.

Last edited by asovse1; Sep 17, 19 at 10:22 am
Old Sep 17, 19, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Everyone at my company (software developer) has the same policy:

J for flights over 8 hours
PY/Y for flights under 8 hours
Cash bonus paid if you select PY when eligible for J

Starting Jan 1, 2020, only roles with travel related to customer accounts will have that policy. Everyone else in the company shifts to PY on all journeys.
Old Sep 17, 19, 10:24 am

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
US tech company (not silicon valley) - business class on longhaul legs (over the oceans) although they're starting to push for premium economy.
...which is similar to business class of the 1980's. Current business class is better than first class of the 1980's.
Old Sep 17, 19, 10:50 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75k, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
...which is similar to business class of the 1980's. Current business class is better than first class of the 1980's.
Itís not the 80s anymore so I donít see why this is relevant.
Old Sep 17, 19, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Silver (working on Gold), Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
Lawyers are usually at the mercy of their clients' travel policies regardless of which firm they work for.
Old Sep 17, 19, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by _fx View Post
Itís not the 80s anymore so I donít see why this is relevant.
It is relevant because life reinvents itself. The model of continued improvements did not happen except for the rare case of Etihad's Apartment as a "super" first class. The old First, Business, Coach is similar to the new Business, Premium Economy, Economy.

The same thing happens with movies. Sequel after sequel. Someday, we'll have a Finding Dory 11, Jaws 15, etc.
Old Sep 17, 19, 12:12 pm

The most common in my opinion would be a VP of Sales for an International firm.
Old Sep 17, 19, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
It is relevant because life reinvents itself. The model of continued improvements did not happen except for the rare case of Etihad's Apartment as a "super" first class. The old First, Business, Coach is similar to the new Business, Premium Economy, Economy.
To make that argument is to admit that the policy is for employees to be tortured right to the brink of acceptance, instead of saying "The policy is business class so the employees have it better than I did back in the day". I bet J tickets now are cheaper after inflation than they were in the 1980s, even adding in lay flats and direct aisle access. And simultaneously, Y travel has become way more cramped with 10-across 777s and 30" pitch.
Old Sep 17, 19, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
To make that argument is to admit that the policy is for employees to be tortured right to the brink of acceptance, instead of saying "The policy is business class so the employees have it better than I did back in the day". I bet J tickets now are cheaper after inflation than they were in the 1980s, even adding in lay flats and direct aisle access. And simultaneously, Y travel has become way more cramped with 10-across 777s and 30" pitch.
In the 1980's, business class was generally C, not J. They were not very expensive, sort of like premium economy is now. Modern day J class is expensive, just like the old F. Many flights no longer have F because they don't want or can sell a even more premium product than J.

I had a company send me to London on J but they wanted work on the arrival day. They could have sent me economy class if it were a daytime flight and it would have been ok with me. Economy to London from the US on a red eye, however, and I would have dozed off during meetings at 4 pm and during a business dinner.
Old Sep 17, 19, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA, NH, Amex
Auto racing (e.g. NASCAR) can certainly involve a lot of flying, but not necessarily much commercial. Lot of private and charter. I'd probably take commercial over charter tbh...
Old Sep 17, 19, 2:19 pm

Programs: star alliance
SV Tech company that I work for uses a cap system. Cap splits the different between full fare economy and biz for the some trailing time period. You bank $0.50 for each $1 under cap, which can be used to go over cap on future travel (flights and/or hotels). You can fly whatever class you can get under cap, and can use banked credits with some discretion to go over cap. I've been pretty judicious with using banked credits but still managed to travel in biz a bit less than 50% of the time, PE the rest of the time.
Old Sep 17, 19, 2:41 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, AA-Gold, DL-Plat
I work at a consulting firm where I do work in developing countries. If our trip is over 14 hours, from departure from home airport to landing in final destination, then we get to fly business
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
In my private equity, it was 'all business, all the time'. Off to the Paris office? Here's a £500 fully flex J ticket. Hotel per diem was £300 per night, pick what you want.

It was a partnership, we owned the company, we were all cool with it.

HFP retains the same policy :-)

My wife works for the tightest bank in the City but still gets business over 4 hours.
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:40 pm

Internal audit for a global company. Business class anywhere outside the United States.
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios
Retired person is also a distinct possibility.

Search this Thread