FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Passport date of issue obvious error dated year 184 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1987040-passport-date-issue-obvious-error-dated-year-184-a.html)

barbapapa Sep 12, 2019 1:07 pm

Passport date of issue obvious error dated year 184

Hey all,

My wife just got her new passport (2nd one) and they made a mistake on it.

The date of issue is "28/08/0184" This is obviously a mistake from their side, not ours.

The date of expiry is all fine (10 years later from now)

do you think we should ask for a new one or do you think they will look mostly at the expiry date and we can travel as planned ?

Note that the new passport references the old one and we still have the old one so don't think with these 2 info, we are fine?

What do you think?

Thanks

YVR Cockroach Sep 12, 2019 1:12 pm

Well, some countries ask for date of passport issuance in visa applications, landing forms, etc. If not urgently needed, I'd get it replaced so s to avoid potential for trouble.

Often1 Sep 12, 2019 1:40 pm

You have not told us what country issued it.

But, the general answer is that if there are any details which are not 100% correct, you get the document replaced. That is even more true if you are not traveling before the replacement can be had.

Bear in mind that this has nothing to do with your home country, but what some random passport control person at the border elsewhere or air carrier staff at a check-in counter think of the error and whether they want to deny you entry / boarding, send you to a forced labor camp or whatever.

84fiero Sep 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 31518464)
Well, some countries ask for date of passport issuance in visa applications, landing forms, etc. If not urgently needed, I'd get it replaced so s to avoid potential for trouble.

I'd do the same.

barbapapa Sep 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Hey all thanks for the replies
It is from India and have no idea how to proceed to even get it fixed. We live in the Uk and all passport applications go through a private company VFS but there is no listed procedure to get a mistake fixed.
It is not urgent urgent but we need the passport for yet another process for our children. So the delay affect that too.

Silver Fox Sep 12, 2019 2:59 pm

I would definitely get it changed. Call them and ask them what the process is.

CPRich Sep 12, 2019 3:02 pm

Call the company you "presumably" paid to do this, and have them do it correctly. It shouldn't matter to you where the error was - you paid them for a service and it wasn't accurately completed.

Yes, a passport absolutely needs to be accurate.

travelinterpreters Sep 12, 2019 5:33 pm

We are starting a 4 month world cruise pretty soon, and have been filling out a lot of Visa applications. Most of them are asking for date of issuance as well as expy date. I would get it fixed.

Annalisa12 Sep 13, 2019 12:00 am

Originally Posted by travelinterpreters (Post 31519267)
We are starting a 4 month world cruise pretty soon, and have been filling out a lot of Visa applications. Most of them are asking for date of issuance as well as expy date. I would get it fixed.

4 months. You lucky duck!

Yes, I too would get it fixed "just in case".

warakorn Sep 13, 2019 2:00 am

We live in the Uk and all passport applications go through a private company VFS but there is no listed procedure to get a mistake fixed.
How did you receive the passport?

Bradhattan Sep 13, 2019 4:50 am

Originally Posted by barbapapa (Post 31518828)
Hey all thanks for the replies
It is from India and have no idea how to proceed to even get it fixed. We live in the Uk and all passport applications go through a private company VFS but there is no listed procedure to get a mistake fixed.
It is not urgent urgent but we need the passport for yet another process for our children. So the delay affect that too.

Perhaps you could contact the Indian Embassy/Consulate for advice?

Often1 Sep 13, 2019 6:36 am

It took me 30 seconds to Google "India Passport UK", pull up the UK website for VFS and find the Help Line for passport questions. Why not start there? It must have taken longer than that to start and reply to this thread.

Silver Fox Sep 13, 2019 6:51 am

You're getting slow in your old age :)

barbapapa Sep 13, 2019 7:40 am

Hey for update I called VFS (which is the company that deal with passport application) this morning and they told me to come to their office.
I would have called yesterday if I could but they close at 3:30pm. I posted here to see what help/info I could get before so I can have a more fruitful call. Also the call center is not actually in their office and they are usually not helpful: they several time gave me wrong information.

Anyway once at VFS (3h journey) they told me to go to the consulate where someone will be waiting for me.

Finally there after explaining that it was not their fault but that on India side they printed random numbers. Obviously they could have checked the dates before stamping but apparently there is too many passport for that. So they stamp blindly :(

Anyway after asking if the replacement will be ready next week they told me yes. Let's see

Thanks all for your comments

pinniped Sep 16, 2019 2:46 pm

That's a pretty terrible act of customer non-service.

I've used these private white-glove services for visas many times. (They obviously do passports too, but I've never been abroad at the point in time I needed a renewal.) Their entire value-add, and the reason their fees are often well more than the consular fees, is because they triple-check everything and make sure your papers are in order both ways. The current company I use, which is one of the big ones many here have heard of, would almost certainly *not* send me back my passport with an obvious typo in it.

They've definitely saved me time and corrected *my* errors filling out visa paperwork and providing stacks of related materials. Everything handled by FedEx both ways. Having to travel to them, or even worse travel to a consulate, totally defeats the purpose of using the third party. I've used them for two Indian visas, as India is known for being one of the pickier ones about filling the forms out perfectly for a visa.

If you can switch vendors next time, I'd definitely look into that.