Community
Wiki Posts
Search

people making video reports during the flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

people making video reports during the flight

I see videos on YouTube of these people who give extended reports of their flights, showing the various seat features and meals, usually business or first class..

Just saw one where the two people are filming each other intermittently for maybe the whole flight and talking pretty loudly, as if they're reporters on TV. You can see some of the people around them are annoyed. Are there any regulations as to limitation of filming on board? Correct me if I'm wrong but I do not think you have the right to tell someone to not to film your face if this is in public.

If this happened to me and I complained to the FA , what do you think would happen?
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It depends on the airline and crew. Different airlines have different official rules, but they might or might not be enforced---or FAs could just make up their own rules.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:03 pm

The taking of photos and video on a plane is up to the airline and in some cases the crew. If they tell you to knock it off then do so. The interior of the plane is not a public place. If you're bothered by it I'd ask them politely to stop and if that doesn't work speak to an FA.
nancypants and satman40 like this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by ente_09
I see videos on YouTube of these people who give extended reports of their flights, showing the various seat features and meals, usually business or first class..

Just saw one where the two people are filming each other intermittently for maybe the whole flight and talking pretty loudly, as if they're reporters on TV. You can see some of the people around them are annoyed. Are there any regulations as to limitation of filming on board? Correct me if I'm wrong but I do not think you have the right to tell someone to not to film your face if this is in public.

If this happened to me and I complained to the FA , what do you think would happen?
First I would ask them to kindly stop (and make sure they at least agree to blur you out). Most of the reputable youtubers will agree to this (or risk having the video deleted). If they don't, (or if you don't want to confront them) then talk to the cabin crew. Many airlines stipulate that you need to respect the privacy of the other passengers.

DO NOT under any circumstances touch their gear... that could turn into a confrontation that would end up very bad for you.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, but I was thinking primarily of the noise and disturbance they cause. In this video, they are standing up , talking loudly and acting like news reporters. Not what I would like to deal with in business on a 10 hour flight.

I
Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Thanks, but I was thinking primarily of the noise and disturbance they cause. In this video, they are standing up , talking loudly and acting like news reporters. Not what I would like to deal with in business on a 10 hour flight.

I
The better equipped ones have microphones - helps with voice isolation and volume. I haven't seen the video you're talking about though.

I admit being self conscious is why I minimize taking even photos of the seats, and I enjoy documenting them for myself and friends.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:17 am

What happens with the filming if another passenger coughs, sneezes, calls for the FA, speaks loudly on their phone (including when not connected), narrates their own imaginary video?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
What happens with the filming if another passenger coughs, sneezes, calls for the FA, speaks loudly on their phone (including when not connected), narrates their own imaginary video?
This. If they were bothering me and refusing to not include me in their production, I would be doing everything in my power to passively aggressivly ruin thier video -taking out a gyno text for example and loudly reading from the chapter on maladies and thier physical expressions.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nhilar
This. If they were bothering me and refusing to not include me in their production, I would be doing everything in my power to passively aggressivly ruin thier video -taking out a gyno text for example and loudly reading from the chapter on maladies and thier physical expressions.
Wow- I could see this leading to another sort of youtube- getting kicked off a plane.

Side issue- why do you think people do this. I know there are 2 or three big ones who probably make a lot of money with their internet sites but how about the amateurs on internet? Makes them feel important? Hoping for a lot of hits that they can cash in on?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:53 pm

I
Then ask them to kindly stop, they're disturbing other people. And if they don't (doesn't matter what cabin of service they're in), then engage the flight attendant. If you want to quietly document your flight (for a flight report for example), that's fine, but you have to respect the other passengers as well. Standing up (while not catapulting your seat) is fine... that happens when during the normal course of a flight (going to the washroom, stretching your legs, etc.). Taking photos (or video) of others without permission, talking loudly, etc. is just bad form. Just promising to block out someone's face (eg, in videos) is also bad form (and amateurish IMO).

It'd be interesting to see if you made a complaint to Youtube whoever the vlogger used, what they would do.
84fiero likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: Executive club Gold
I have to admit to being a bit of a youtube geek and watch the reports regularly, other than my son I've never seen anyone making a report but we do first long haul return about 4 or 5 times a year and Europe business the rest of the time so limited on First experiences. My son doesn't do the whole reporter thing, he films very discreetly and only our family, so our feet making our way through the airport, just our table in the lounge or him as he chooses food, then his seat and meal etc. No talking and you'd never know he was doing it as he's very shy. He then sets the whole lot to music (including the place we stay etc) and its a lovely family memory. I would be really uncomfortable with some of the vloggers I've seen recently, filming each other is one thing but the loud talking, panning around the cabin etc would annoy me a lot.

I'm just watching one by marshw13 on you tube, he's showing every detail of his flight but I've not seen anyone else at all (cabin crew blurred out) and instead of loud narration he's filming in silence and has captioned the whole video, this shows what to expect flying first and lets us youtube addicts have our content but doesn't disturb anyone or invade privacy. One I watched yesterday of a couple who had managed to book bargain seats in first they never thought they would ever be able to do and were very excited, which was great but they were so loud and obvious with it filming and loud chatter that it must have disturbed others and been very cringe and I didn't finish the video as I was cringing at my desk!

I think I would likely have had a discreet word with the crew to ask that they moderate how they were filming and the level of noise, film by all means but don't disrupt the cabin for your own gratification.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:57 pm

talking pretty loudly, as if they're reporters on TV
I've never understood why they don't just narrate later at home. Obviously some do, or caption, but I don't see how it adds to the video to narrate within the plane (especially since they often have to fight ambient noise which makes them louder).

I appreciate that these videos exist, as it helps me choose evaluate the options, but I'm glad I've never seen it happen in real life!
Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Wow- I could see this leading to another sort of youtube- getting kicked off a plane.

Side issue- why do you think people do this. I know there are 2 or three big ones who probably make a lot of money with their internet sites but how about the amateurs on internet? Makes them feel important? Hoping for a lot of hits that they can cash in on?
They might not be making money now but there's always the chance to be the next 'star'. There was one Youtuber who was on his own and eventually started working for one of the big travel blog groups.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.