Routes flown changing one letter origin -> destination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Routes flown changing one letter origin -> destination

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
MIA-MID (Merida, Mexico)

a very long time ago Frontier Airlines served DMN (Deming NM) from DEN with a DC-3 that made several intermediate stops; Continental once flew SAT-SJT

Northwest ran BIS-BIL as part of a MSP-SEA milk run for many years
I wonder if Midwest Express ever ran SAT-SAN. It would be the kind of oddball route they once thrived upon, and I know they had a presence in both cities.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by pinniped
I wonder if Midwest Express ever ran SAT-SAN. It would be the kind of oddball route they once thrived upon, and I know they had a presence in both cities.
departedflights.com route maps for YX show them in SAN until 1997, but not appearing in SAT until ~2001

it would have had to be a diversion from JFK, but B6 (JetBlue) might have operated a flight that went LGB-LGA
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by pinniped
OK, student of a rich family in a very long-legged private jet. Theoretically possible.

Nobody cares about connecting flights. There become thousands of combinations then. The only interest is nonstops.
ITH is a tiny airport with a short runway which couldn’t possibly have a plane take off with enough range to reach ATH without refueling stops along the way. So why such a snarky reply? I wasn’t the one who suggested ITH-ATH.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by salut0
ITH is a tiny airport with a short runway which couldn’t possibly have a plane take off with enough range to reach ATH without refueling stops along the way. So why such a snarky reply? I wasn’t the one who suggested ITH-ATH.
the runway is almost 7000 ft; I suspect there are several contemporary bizjets with the performance to make that ~5000-mile TATL leg (although probably few if any when MSPeconomist and I were in ITH)
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Y
I’m sure you’re wrong: there must have been many Greek students at Cornell over the years. No nonstop flights, of course, but definitely on one itinerary.
There have been quite a few Greece-residing students indeed at the undergraduate and graduate levels, but the one-stop connection options to get from ITH to Greece have been far and few between. Scheduled common carrier flights are mostly two-stop connection options, even as there is at times the one-stop AA-service to ATH via PHL. But many of the Greek students at Cornell or the closest SUNY may not be from ATH.

TATL-flying private jets out of ITH with Greek Cornell students? I don’t know of any.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 23, 2019 at 2:54 am
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I often fly YYG-YYZ and YHZ-YYZ, but I've also done YYZ-YYT and LAS-LAX

Last edited by Low Roller; Aug 23, 2019 at 5:52 am
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

Somebody upthread before me suggested it. I said I doubt anyone has ever done it, and I actually still believe that. The hypothetical of a private jet flying it was purely that - a hypothetical. I don't even know if ITH has the customs personnel to process international arrivals, nor the actual capabilities are of the TATL-capable private jets that could use a 7,000 foot runway with a full fuel load.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Here's what I've flown:

LAX-LAS
DFW-DTW
SLC-SJC
MSP-MSY
MSP-MSN
IAH-IAD
ORD-ORF

I always hoped to get JFK-GFK, but that'll never happen.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Northwest ran BIS-BIL as part of a MSP-SEA milk run for many years ...
at times, one could also board a variant of this flight in MSP and deplane in MSO
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La

at times, one could also board a variant of this flight in MSP and deplane in MSO
Not only a one-letter difference, but only one position in the alphabet.

SZX - SYX is the only other such example cited here. Any more?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

someone mentioned SJC-SJD upthread

I suspect that there may have been single-plane service between HOU and HOT in the pre-jet era
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: QF WP
One came to me at 3am although I have since forgotten it

i did discover a seasonal BNE-BME service though

eta: HKG-HKT

Last edited by nancypants; Aug 26, 2019 at 11:36 am
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
it would have had to be a diversion from JFK, but B6 (JetBlue) might have operated a flight that went LGB-LGA
While we are B6 dreaming, how about LGA to LGW when they get the 321ER?
But seriously...
Was ORD to ORY ever a common route?

I've only flown LAX>LAS, LAS>LAX
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by saxman66
I always hoped to get JFK-GFK, but that'll never happen.
Or LGW-LGA
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
No one put
PHL-PHX

done it many times

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.