Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Exterior luggage / baggage tag for flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exterior luggage / baggage tag for flying?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by HofstraJet

I also recently was sent some free eBags “connected” tags. They have a QR code that when scanned provides your info, but here’s the cool part: you can control what info is displayed from your phone. So, as long as the bag is in your possession or not lost, you keep info display off. Once the bag goes MIA, then you can turn on as much or as little info as you want, including a picture of the bag. And, when someone scans the tag, you get a notification. Haven’t had to take advantage of its features yet, but I like the concept.
I have these tags on all the bags I own. Ebags usually sends an email to claim them for free after purchasing a bag. And in the event they don't, I use the rewards credit I was given from the purchase of the bag to buy another one usually free of charge as well. All the information the tag displays to the person scanning the QR code or visiting the URL address shown on the tag is managed easily through the Ebags app. Great product in my opinion.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AA100k
Isn’t there some place in Alabama where all the unidentified lost luggage ends up, the contents of which are sold to the public? I’d be more paranoid that my airline barcode tag was lost and my bag and contents being shipped off to that place. Even though I rarely check a bag, my carryon items have two luggage tags with Name, Address, Email and Phone Number and a business card inside. If some thief wants to break into my home while I’m on travel, he has to get through a lot of security and surveillance cameras to do so. Also, a potential thief doesn’t know if you live alone or have family members there in your absence. Seems like a crazy scenario to consider.
Unclaimed Baggage Center in Scottsboro, Alabama link.

As this is more about external baggage tags than about a specific airline, it will move (with a durable trailing link left behind). /Moderator
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I use http://www.luggagetag.com.

You upload a picture and you enter the text so you pick what information you want on the tag. I have my name and mobile phone number.

I put one tag on the outside of each bag and another on the inside.

I use the metal luggage tag loops which rarely fail so the tags last a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/BlueCosto-5-Pack-Silver-Stainless-String-Luggage/dp/B016MIISKW/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=metal+luggage+tag+loops&qid=1566159851&s=gateway&sr=8-4 https://www.amazon.com/BlueCosto-5-Pack-Silver-Stainless-String-Luggage/dp/B016MIISKW/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=metal+luggage+tag+loops&qid=1566159851&s=gateway&sr=8-4
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I have my name and mobile phone number.
That's exactly what I do.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by jerseytom
Seems silly and paranoid, honestly.
It is indeed.

I put a tag on the outside with my name, address, cell phone, email. I've found that stainless steel tags fastened with steel wire luggage tag loop fasteners hold up best. But since I've still had tags ripped off by the conveyor machinery, I also print out my flight itineraries and add my name and other info. I slide that into one of these pockets:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HN47UC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HN47UC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then put everything inside the front pocket of the suitcase. I figure the pockets will keep the paper from getting smashed up and the large size and brightly-colored borders make it a bit more noticeable if someone needs to look inside to identify the owner.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:47 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
My bags have an external tag that either has my business card, or just my name/phone number/email. In fact some of the paper tags provided nowadays by Delta doesn't even have lines for your address. I think contact info and a name should be enough for bag matching purposes in case the checked baggage tag is ripped off, but still gives me some privacy.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
1. Any luggage I check has a tag with my surname, email address and my two mobile phone numbers on it. Enough information for anyone to get in touch with me as a secondary backup. The main identification tag for a bag is, of course, the one that the airline sticks around the handle. These rarely come off, but when they do, there is hopefully still the second sticker attached to the bag.

2. The luggage handling process os highly automated at most large airports. Scanners read the bar codes and deliver bags accordingly from/to aircraft and within terminals. (Which is why these priority bag tags are little more than ego-boosters for those that feel they need a little.) There is very little constant human involvement in the baggage process (and think about it, with the volumes going through large airports it becomes impossible.) Few people are going to look at address labels of Louis Vuitton bags to determine that Fred and Edna are on holiday and their luxury home is undefended and available to be ransacked. Urban myth/fears.

3. When luggage does get misplaced (rarely 'lost'), it is generally located through the automated process and eventually reunited with the owner reasonably quickly. Yes, we hear nightmare stories about how 'the airline lost my luggage and didn't help me at all and I wore the same clothes every day and you ruined my honeymoon,' but these are, in the scheme of things, quite rare. There is rarely, and your story QoC surprises me a little, any human looking for your bag in a big room, generally because the room is too large and the bags too numerous for this to be efficient. WorldTracer is far from perfect, but usually quite efficient in reuniting owner and bag, eventually, as long as the address is kept up-to-date. The consoling words 'I'll just pop into the storage room to have a look for you' are usually just that.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: QF WP
Well I did as I said I would and deployed double baggage tags (triple if you count the sticky ones!)

good news:
qantas didn’t lose my bag (but they’re not usually useless)
my house has not been broken into

bad news:
bag lost by Iberia is still missing 😉
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:44 am

Simple rules

I do alot of buisness travel, and I do understand that lost bags are relatively rare, however i follow a simple rule that my father gave me who had millions of miles on Pam Am and other legacy carriers..."A fool and his checked bag are soon parted..."...My own personal experience statisticaly has not been great, although theft and damage have been a bigger issue that outright loss.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I have an exterior bag tag but it is covered and the tag cannot be read unless the cover is removed. Not only would it help if my bag is misrouted it's a unusual tag that is quite visible and helps me ID the bag on the carousel.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I have an exterior bag tag but it is covered and the tag cannot be read unless the cover is removed. Not only would it help if my bag is misrouted it's a unusual tag that is quite visible and helps me ID the bag on the carousel.
I have something similar. There is a screen over the card with my info. It's obvious there is info under the screen for anyone who needs to access it, but its hidden from casual glances. It's also a unique design that stands out when sitting on the sky check cart.
Badenoch likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Nhilar
I do alot of buisness travel, and I do understand that lost bags are relatively rare, however i follow a simple rule that my father gave me who had millions of miles on Pam Am and other legacy carriers..."A fool and his checked bag are soon parted..."...My own personal experience statisticaly has not been great, although theft and damage have been a bigger issue that outright loss.
So what is the rule? Not to check luggage or not to be a fool?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite

So what is the rule? Not to check luggage or not to be a fool?
Avoid checking a bag if at all possible. Sometimes it is unavoidable and I have been bitten, but it is usually theft and damage verses outright loss. Honeymoon cruise they lost my bag on a direct flight to the cruise port...luckily we had arrived a day earlier..they "found" and delivered the bag at about 1am that night, it had been rifled through and some very cheap stuff had been stolen( a couple of $5 t-shirts, some really cheap water socks, a notebook and pen)....
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
We are not road warriors, but when we travel, we can end up in a fair amount of places in a relatively short amount of time (7 places in three weeks is our upcoming trip). What we do is we have a name tag (right now, it's the bright yellow FT name tags) on our luggage. We have some basic information on it: names, cell phone numbers, email addresses. It doesn't make too much sense to put down a permanent address on there, since we are not going to be there during our travels.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:53 am

I also have hard plastic tags with just name, phone, and email. They are attached to each bag with a zip tie. I actually have lost one before. No idea what that poor thing got stuck in to rip a zip tie but I replaced it when I got home.
ysolde likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.