Reload this Page >

Most Unrealistic Connection Times

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Unrealistic Connection Times

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
For the heck of it, I flew to MIA one day and less than an hour after getting off the plane I took it right back home. Same plane, crew and flt #.

My second one was when I stumbled across a flight at T-35 to SFO and then listed from my arriving gate before running to that flight. Joys of standbying, you never know what interesting legs you're going to take to get home (MCO-ATL-LGA-SFO-MSP)
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
For the heck of it, I flew to MIA one day and less than an hour after getting off the plane I took it right back home. Same plane, crew and flt #.
That isn't a "connection;" it's a turnaround. I've done those too.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
Best (or stupidest!!!! Turnaround....

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
That isn't a "connection;" it's a turnaround. I've done those too.
When UA started the SFO-SIN nonstop, I just had to try it, and since I’d logged a few nights several times in Singapore, I saw no point in staying again. So, I deplaned, shopped in Changi for a little while, then re-boarded. I had told the FAs what I was doing before landing, they thought I was crazy — but hey, I’m a Million Miler now, and I had a GREAT time!!! PS, I felt FANTASTIC upon arrival in SFO, stopped by the lounge, then flew on back to EWR! My husband barely knew I had been gone, just like all my Around-The-World mileage runs! (He is 6 ft 5 in — he only goes to OGG & western Europen with me, hahaha!)
Statman likes this.

Last edited by Dr.Ells; Aug 9, 2019 at 2:24 pm
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CX Gold
Yesterday UA offered me a 33 minute connection in EWR on a flight arriving from PVD - a flight that is often delayed 30+ minutes. I passed on it.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
AA changed my schedule coming home from SJC (San Juan del Cabo)- I now had a 1 hr. 45 minute layover in DFW before my 8:45 PM flight to MCI. I called and asked if I could get a flight out of DFW the next AM instead (hotel at my own expense). That would be a "voluntary change", they said, and would be re-rated with a change fee. I was taking a cruise and the cruise line had said they weren't sure they could get me to SJC in time to make the earlier flight out of SJC so that wasn't an option.

I got lucky- I did get to the airport in time for the earlier flight and was able to get on it. Good thing- my original flight took off late and, given the time it took me to get through Customs and Immigration and re-check my bags on the flight I took I would have missed my connection had I taken the flight AA had offered.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Currently international to any other terminal at ORD is a big mess
Couldn't. Agree. More.

Came back to the US this past spring from Japan, flying NRT-ORD-CLT. Gave myself a 3 hour layover in Chicago figuring it'd be ample time to get through customs, maybe grab an Italian beef to welcome myself back into the country, and get to my gate.

Wrong.

Wound up having just enough time to sprint to my gate and make my flight.
  • Unbelievable line through customs. Close to 2 hours just for this alone, and I wasn't even getting and rechecking a bag.
  • Taking a bus to whatever terminal I was going to
  • Security again, with only one checkpoint open (mid afternoon on a Sunday, not any sort of extreme hour)
Eye opening experience. Highly motivated now to do Global Entry or whatever for my next trip out of the country
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
DEN-CLT-MHT.

AA says 39 minutes is acceptable connection time in CLT.

I wouldn't touch that flight with a ten-foot pole.
My home airport for 9 years now, amazing how much air traffic there is. Can easily spend 30+ minutes taxiing after touching down, e.g. this past Monday night at about 930pm.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:47 am

DEN-CLT-MHT.

AA says 39 minutes is acceptable connection time in CLT.

I wouldn't touch that flight with a ten-foot pole.
Just booked a reward ticket with AA going LAX-MUC, and one option was LAX-CLT-MUC with a 37 minutes connection time.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
35 minutes in ATL during summer thunderstorm season. I know that Delta adds a generous buffer to their flight times, but even accounting for that, anything short haul after 10am is likely to hit moderate lightning issues, ATC issues, or both of the above.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: Lufthansa Senator with 1 */Hilton Diamond for Life / Starwood Gold for Life /Marriott Platinum
FRA from Schengen to non, 45 MCT

if anyone has experienced the tunnel connecting A to B, preceded by the slowest security I’ve ever experienced, 45 minutes leaves me out of breath from having to run like hell.
4004 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I was just offered a 38-minute connection time in DEN by UA (between SFO-DEN and DEN-MSY) for what previously had been a nonstop SFO-MSY, now discontinued . I turned that down and opted for a 2.5-hour connection in IAH, which also kind of stinks, but at least I can be reasonably confident of getting home.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
I never accept an international connection time less than 2 hours - any airport in the world
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Fonsini
So AA loves offering me a 1 hour transfer in PHL which is actually doable with a prevailing wind, but the 1 hour 10 minute transfer they offer up as entirely reasonable for a transfer in LHR for an international flight which requires a terminal transfer on one of Heathrow’s nightmarish “B.O. buses” followed by immigration control, followed by another security screen, followed by a dash to the gate always seems to need more like 2 hours to complete.

Ever been suckered into a guaranteed missed connection by “the system” ?
A couple of years ago booked online with AA, BOS - LHR - BCN with less than 2 hour layover in LHR. Check in agent at BOS said we would not make our connection and re-booked us for a later flight. She was right, we would have missed our connection. The re-booked flight got us to BCN only an hour later. Great service by AA in BOS.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:08 pm

SFO 1 hour 50 minutes seemed reasonable

Auckland to Los Cabos via San Francisco with United last month. Immigration had 4 staff for 2 large planes. 2 hours to be processed. We asked about priority for connections or a transfer desk but no such thing exists. The priority for transfer passengers recently removed because too many were using it. United then gave us a discount code for accomodation which could not be utilized as no accomodation with their contract hotels was available. $444 and 24 hours later we flew out. Only one flight per day direct. They did offer a 16 hour multi stop option. No thank you. I was cross that I didn't realise this was going to be a expensive fail of a route as 1 hour 50 seemed reasonable for an international transfer using two United fligjts. I had assumed incorrectly since we were on two international flights we would do immigration in Mexico.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:19 pm

Cool BCN-FRA-LAX needs 2 hours

Hubby and I on return from BCN via FRA on Lufthansa Business class. I thought 2 hours would be plenty of time in FRA EXCEPT - I was pulled out for random additional screen-swipe-wand-patdown during security check required for Int'l transfer. Hubby was NOT allowed to wait and was told to move onto the gate. Lucky for me I am in good shape *and* they have moving walkways because I motored myself as quickly as possible without running (never good form in an airport these days). Of course the gate was the furthest possible at the end of the last terminal. Lucky for me, I arrived after stated boarding cutoff on the boards, but the plane was in fact delayed so WHEW! When I came home I told my ticket broker to never book passengers with less than 2 hours in FRA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.