Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What was your first holiday without your parents?

What was your first holiday without your parents?

Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:02 am

My first holiday with my parents was when I was 14 years old and we went to Paris. It was awesome experience, I had a great time with my family. I can never forgot those moments. It was one of the bestest days of my life. Paris was my dream city and I was finally there with my parents so it was exciting.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Without any adult supervision (so excluding school trips) was to a week long camp when I was 13. I had worked odd jobs and saved birthday money for several years to pay my own way to camp and my parents bought the plane ticket as a gift. Mom was terribly impressed because I had a connection and my initial flight was delayed so I missed the connection due to weather. I got all my arrangements for a later flight sorted out and then called home (on a pay phone).
I still have that ticket stub in my scrapbook.

First international without parents was a school trip with a fairly clueless chaperone and I got hugely ill on the flights with food poisoning. Once I recovered that was a hugely fun trip, we were pretty much left to our own devices to hang out with our local hosts and see what trouble we could get into.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I had just turned ten years old and my parents asked me what I wanted for my birthday. The year was 1963 and our family lived in Pasadena, California. "A trip to see my Aunt, Uncle and cousins in northern California", I replied, " and I want to fly by myself to see them!" And so I did just that on board a Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA) Lockheed L-188 Electra from LAX to SFO where my Aunt and Uncle picked me up in their new VW Beetle for the drive over to their home in Berkeley. This was also my very first airline flight and it was a great trip!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
I couldn't even afford a trip for myself until I was 19 and working in between college classes. Anything prior was with my parents who drove/paid airfare.
Went from BUF-DCA on US Air back when they still existed to attend a convention.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Mexico...I was 17.
Flew in to Acapulco.
After a month the only word I can describe on my return home was...massive Detox needed.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Six weeks hopping around India in 1976 when I was 15/16 (I celebrated my birthday on the trip). Calcutta, Delhi, Jaipur, Aurangabad, Bombay, Goa, Udaipur (stayed at the Lake Palace by the way), Delhi, Srinigar, (plus three weeks learning to ski somewhere in Kashmir) and finally Amritsar. Had an Indian Airlines pass that allowed unlimited flights for a few hundred bucks. Can't even imagine letting my own kids go on a trip like this now, but those were different times and I'm glad my parents let me travel and explore the world by myself.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AF-KL Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Madrid in 2015 to visit my best friend for 5 days.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Our granddaughter, having turned 7 in late June, celebrated with her first trip "on her own", HOU>DAL & RTN on WN to visit her aunt. A good time was had by all, especially the WN staff & flight crew at DAL. Not her first flight, but her first alone. Yes, just a hour aloft. but a triumph at 7. Sure Beats me. My first "alone" (aside from "Summer Camps") was at 16, 1955, the Greyhound to Laredo, then Mexican buses to the City, an over night (IIRC the hotel was the Ruiz Galindo, (Correction error, it was the "Vasco de Quiroga, pretty good memory for 60+ years, & the Ruiz Galindo was in Saltillo, IIRC), then another bus to Cordoba, VC to stay with friends.

Last edited by TMOliver; Aug 3, 2019 at 7:03 am
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I went to camp when I was probably 8 or 9 - for a week, about 2 hours away from home.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Not as exciting as others upthread, but I had just turned 16 in 1990 and went with a group of about 15 other students in the foreign language club at school to Spain and France for a couple of weeks. Fortunately our chaperones were pretty lax so we had a great time especially after-hours. Flew on Pan Am, which I remember fondly, even if it was on its last legs at that point, sadly.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:56 am

Summer camps and High Adventure trips with the Boy Scouts
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Mine is a nice story. In the summer of 1995 between 4th and 5th grade I went to a day camp in Greenwich, CT. I made friends with another kid the first day because I had brought an AA timetable to read and he had brought a UA one. We were friends the whole summer and hung out a few times afterwards but ended up losing touch. I found out later he moved to California and we exchanged an occasional letter and phone call but stopped talking for a few years. In 2001 I plugged his name into AOL's Instant Messager search along with the city he'd move to and I found him. We started messaging and our friendship picked right back up. So in 2002, the day after my 17th birthday, I flew out to spend the weekend with him and his family. It was nice because that summer while looking at colleges I had managed to make it to AA Gold through their Gold Challenge so the JFK-SJC flight to go see him again was my first ever flight with status. A year later he spent July 4th with my family and we took our first ever international trips without our families in 2006 together.

I'm happy to report 18 years later we're still friends. Here's me with him and his new baby:

B747-437B, adamak, haa and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
14. Left Asia for a USA trip. Sat in the smoking section long haul. I still remembered the first sight of LAX upon landing.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:24 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
15 months old. I went to an aunt's place when my mother gave birth to my sister.

Apparently, I was so happy I .... myself.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
Mine is a nice story. In the summer of 1995 between 4th and 5th grade I went to a day camp in Greenwich, CT. I made friends with another kid the first day because I had brought an AA timetable to read and he had brought a UA one.
Wait. You brought an airline timetable to read for fun at summer camp? And I thought I was a nerdy kid.

<gfunk falls over from the sheer nerdiness>
B747-437B and mmff like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.