Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How bad will the jet lag for SFO-SIN be?

Old Jul 23, 19, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus

Taking UA 29 , the 11:30am SFO SIN in Polaris. Can anyone tell me how the jet lag is on arrival arriving in the evening. Are you wide awake, tired ? Just curious how our first day the next morning will be. If we will fall asleep when we get there and ready to take on the next day or will we be dead the next day for tours etc.
kaffir76 likes this.

Last edited by COEWR2587; Jul 23, 19 at 6:49 pm
Old Jul 23, 19, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by COEWR2587 View Post
Taking UA 29 , the 11:30am SFO SIN in Polaris. Can anyone tell me who the jet lag is on arrival arriving in the evening. Are you wide awake, tired ? Just curious how our first day the next morning will be. If we will fall asleep when we get there and ready to take on the next day or will we be dead the next day for tours etc.
People handle this differently, but I generally don't sleep well at all following the evening Asia arrival. Will tend to wake up very early the next morning (3 am, or earlier), then hit the wall mid-afternoon the next day. If you're going to be outside in Singapore, the heat and humidity are likely to exacerbate that.

I find the best cures are exercise early in the morning Day 1 (I run), and try to stay up late as I can that night. I also try not to sleep more than a couple hours on the flight, in the hope I will arrive tired.
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Jul 23, 19, 6:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Taking UA 29 , the 11:30am SFO SIN in Polaris. Can anyone tell me who the jet lag is on arrival arriving in the evening. Are you wide awake, tired ? Just curious how our first day the next morning will be. If we will fall asleep when we get there and ready to take on the next day or will we be dead the next day for tours etc.
Do you plan to sleep on the flight?

What will be your routine on the plane?

What are your previous experiences with jet lag going west?
Old Jul 23, 19, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.2MM, Marriott Platinum
I flew that route in January in Polaris. Your experience will vary, of course, but here's what I noticed.

I did the usual things I do on long flights -- naps, movies, knitting, reading, not drinking alcohol after the main lunch service. I thought the early-evening arrival would be a good thing, but unwinding from the 17-hour flight took several hours, significantly longer than the 1-2 hours I usually experienced with the late-night United arrivals in previous years. I ended up taking a delightful long rainy walk to Gluttons Bay for late-evening satay. After my return to the JW Marriott I was able to sleep until mid-morning and power through the rest of the day.
Old Jul 23, 19, 7:49 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Gold Elite
I fly to Southeast Asia and India regularly for work, including some 16+ hour flights. This is person-dependent, but I think I finally solved it for me on my last TPE to JFK run:

-No caffeine a few days before leaving on the flight

-Sleep a normal 8 hours on the plane, still no caffeine

Arrive back to the US whenever, in my case 10pm at night. Sleep a few more hours and wake up the normal time, then fight the sleep all day the next day and I'm good as new.

That works for me. Some people ration their sleep differently, but like WineCountry pointed out the key is to have a routine for you.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 19, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA MP HH
Taking UA 29 , the 11:30am SFO SIN in Polaris. Can anyone tell me how the jet lag is on arrival arriving in the evening. Are you wide awake, tired ? Just curious how our first day the next morning will be. If we will fall asleep when we get there and ready to take on the next day or will we be dead the next day for tours etc.
Curious to know why you think there is one standard set of feelings on this...everyone is different. We tend to sleep ( as we fly Business class) 4-7 hours on long flights like this, then stay awake until as close to bed time in the local time zone. Then may take a sleep aide to encourage 7 or 8 hours of sleep, to set us to something that resembles the local day time schedules. Works pretty well for us, but no idea if it works for you, or what others do.
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
For me, most Asia destinations I frequent is GMT+8, including SIN. My home base is GMT-4. So, with a 12 hour difference in time zone, and 12-18 hour flight time for most destinations in the time zone, no jet lag for me, ever, to/from Asia. Europe is an entirely different story.
MisterTanaka likes this.
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:31 pm

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
I took this flight last week.

As with all my flights I try and nap on the flight. Only one glass of wine and lots of water. Try and get up and walk around.

Upon arriving I try and get out in the sunshine to help my body adjust and go to sleep at a normal time and set my alarm to wake up the next morning.

The 6.30pm arrival time will actually help you adjust to the time zone.
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
I find this schedule to be the best. As Aussienarelle said, when you arrive it's almost the 'natural' time to sleep. And as always: lots of water, not much alcohol. In general, I find that it is easier to adapt when traveling west, rather than east. So I find that the return trip is the more challenging.

I also recommend wearing compressing hose (up to the knee) to combat bloated legs. or worse: DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis). I managed to have a DVT on my last trip home. Had a window in Econ+ and I did not get up enough to stretch and promote circulation. As a very experienced traveler, it made me feel like an idiot.

Enjoy Singapore. Food recommendation: Song Fa. A pork rib soup speciality. There are several locations.

And I think you can still watch Crazy Rich Asians on the flight.
Old Jul 23, 19, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Amex Plat
Rules for managing jet lag:

1. Sleep shifting starts on the plane. If it's sleep time at your destination, you should be sleeping during those same hours on the flight. If it's awake time at your destination, stay awake during those hours on the flight.
2. No falling asleep before 11 pm at your destination (this increases the chance that you'll wake up at 3 am and it's hard to go back to sleep once this happens)
3. No getting up before 6:30 am at your destination. If you wake up and cannot go back to sleep, DO NOT turn on the lights. Just stay in bed, with the lights off. It's better to not get any sort of light during night hours.
4. No sleeping past 10 am at your destination. If necessary, set an alarm to force yourself to get up.

Going to Asia from the US west coast, I tend to wake up around 3 or 4 am during the first night. And it usually takes me a good 30-60 minutes to go back to sleep, if I can go back to sleep at all. But by day 2, my wake up and sleep times are usually synchronized with time at my destination. (4) will definitely NOT be an issue when traveling to Asia from the west coast. It MAY be an issue going the other way (eastbound) although generally I do not need an alarm, but I do not use window blackout blinds either. I generally find eastbound travel easier to adjust to (UA generally has morning arrival times at SFO and I get enough sun during the day to sync up with California time in about 24 hours). Sometimes, I will sleep and wake up at normal hours on the first night when arriving back.
Old Jul 23, 19, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
who is "we"? You and a companion? Family? Maybe a little color on ages and travel experiences?
Old Jul 23, 19, 10:19 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Silver
I did this last November.

An an early wake up (2am for me as I had to fly from PDX). One cocktail in the Polaris lounge, one glass of wine on the flight. Noise canceling headphones plugged into my device not the IFE. I stayed in the airport Crowne Plaza and next day took a SQ flight to BKK around lunchtime. I wasnít overly jet lagged.

Iím doing similar on Thursday though via HKG, and am flying to SFO tomorrow (Wed). Going for the early rise at the SFO hotel.

Old Jul 23, 19, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
I actually enjoy waking up between 3-4 am while in Asia. That's a good time for calls back to the west coast, where it's mid-afternoon. Then I can enjoy the sunrise and go for a run before it gets too hot. Then breakfast before the crowds hit the restaurant. IMO it's a great way to maximize time away.
Old Jul 24, 19, 12:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
As this thread has been a general discussion of jet lag, will move this thread to TravelBuzz where the topic is regularly discussed - just in the past year or so
Is initial Sleep Deprivation helpful to avoid jet lag?[/color]
Fasting to minimize jet lag?
Jet Lag for 1st Time Int'l flyer
Melatonin for jet lag
What's your strategy to beat jet lag? (consolidated)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jul 24, 19, 1:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Marriott LTTitanium, HH Diamond
Following on from the above post, a friend has suggested taking melatonin which I understand consists of the hormone that brings about or enhances sleep as a result of being surrounded by darkness. It's not available OTC in the UK and I haven't tried it myself but my friend says it worked well for him and without any drowsy feeling after waking up.

Search this Thread