Reload this Page >

No one wants the middle seat on airplanes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No one wants the middle seat on airplanes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Been around for years, appears no major airline has expressed any interest and I don't find that surprising
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/i...ss-hassle.html 2015 article
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
None of this matters, no airline has shown an ounce of interest in the concept. Almost anything can be built and certified, but if nobody wants it...
Looks like at least one NA carrier will have seats. Gotta wait 2 months to find out apparently:

On 50 mystery passenger planes, set for delivery in 2020, middle seat passengers will get their own arm rest space, plus about two more inches of seat width compared to their right and left row mates.

Last month, the Federal Aviation Administration certified the new design, created by Molon Labe Seating, a startup engineering firm based in Colorado. In about two months, the North American airline that purchased the first set of seats will reveal its plans to offer them on commercial flights.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by apodo77
Looks like at least one NA carrier will have seats. Gotta wait 2 months to find out apparently:

On 50 mystery passenger planes, set for delivery in 2020, middle seat passengers will get their own arm rest space, plus about two more inches of seat width compared to their right and left row mates.

Last month, the Federal Aviation Administration certified the new design, created by Molon Labe Seating, a startup engineering firm based in Colorado. In about two months, the North American airline that purchased the first set of seats will reveal its plans to offer them on commercial flights.
Well, obviously because the news article said that, it MUST be true!

(I'm sure no company has ever announced something that will happen in two months but didn't actually occur for two years, if at all.)
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Wouldn't this design make it harder for window passengers to get in and out of the row?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My snap reactions, based on that photo from the 4-year-old CNN article:

- It looks like it would take longer to evacuate from the window seat, as Low Roller points out.
- Side-sliding seats sound like a thing that would often stick, jam, and break, creating flight delays and revenue loss if the seats can't be used until maintenance crews can fix them at the end of a day. Even if pilots use them on some airplanes, pilots probably know how to use them in a way that doesn't break them. (Especially if the pilot owns the plane!) I wouldn't trust hundreds of people, multiple times a day, to be as gentle on the seats.
- That photo in no way makes the middle seat look comfortable. The last thing I was is a *lower* seat, unless there's a solid 40+ inch seat pitch for my legs (which there will not be).
- I'm not sure how the math works to give the middle seat 3 more inches of width without taking it from the other two seats. The middle seat is only offset by a couple inches...not enough to put a 20" seat between two 17" ones and have window and aisle not lose any space.

I've seen other staggered-seat configurations that look better on paper, but they're *really* staggered and have never gotten far enough for evacuation tests, that I'm aware of.
84fiero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.