Holding All Pax On Board Due To Medical Incident

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holding All Pax On Board Due To Medical Incident

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
Would you just claim under a flight delay? Just like a mechanical or weather issue.
You might.
Trip interruption definitely doesn't list "other passenger sickness" or whatever as a reason. (unless it's you or your traveling companion)
The weather delay usually only kicks in if it's X hours (some cases 24 hours) or more.

Travel Delay *may* be covered (depends on the policy) typically 6+ hours,however.

But if that causes you to miss your connection totally then you have to go look at the Missed Connection (if the policy has it)

So it looks like it's a YMMV, but you'll have to carefully read the 3 sections of the policy:
Travel Delay
Trip Interruption
Missed Connection

and see what the thresholds/covered reasons are.

But good to know this can happen. I'll have to remember this more often.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BOH
Why do they do this? It happened to me 4 months ago and my partner today (both European flights). A pax on board needed medical attention so on landing they held all other pax on board until the paramedics arrived and treated the person. Why?

Surely the person who is ill wants privacy, not surrounded by gawping other pax invading their privacy and desperately trying to find out was going some, some even taking pictures today according to my GF - yes seriously!! The paramedics took around 15-20 minutes today to arrive, during which time the rest of the pax could have easily got off. Plus surely the paramedics want space and privacy too to attend to the pax, why would they want to be surrounded by rubber necking pax trying to see what is going on?
If you were having a heart attack, would you want to have the life saving responders stuck outside of the plane while the life left your body since everyone was deboarding? The airlines have specific protocols for medical situations
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by ou81two
If you were having a heart attack, would you want to have the life saving responders stuck outside of the plane while the life left your body since everyone was deboarding? The airlines have specific protocols for medical situations
There is a certain mindset who would put their flight connection, business meeting, need to be first in the immigration line, etc. ahead of the life of a complete stranger. These are the same ones who don't pull over for emergency vehicles, complain about Amber Alerts and rage about highway closures due to fatality investigations. These people would be capable of demanding to know why they were not allowed off the aircraft during a medical emergency while citing a specious concern about "privacy."
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I've been on flights that have been diverted for medical emergencies. My attitude is (1) I hope the person is okay, and (2) stuff happens. If you fly a fair amount, you know that sometimes things will not go smoothly, you might miss a connection or meeting, and there is nothing you can do about it. Life will go on. Maybe you weren't meant to get there. On the other hand, I am obsessive about having sufficient connection times, watching flight status, knowing alternative routes, getting where I am going early if it is really important, and generally planning ahead for any eventuality - using skills learned on FT, to a large degree. And one of the reasons I try to upgrade or purchase TODs or HODs pretty routinely is because when something does go wrong, it doesn't seem so bad when sitting in F or J with a beverage.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:36 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Badenoch
There is a certain mindset who would put their flight connection, business meeting, need to be first in the immigration line, etc. ahead of the life of a complete stranger. These are the same ones who don't pull over for emergency vehicles, complain about Amber Alerts and rage about highway closures due to fatality investigations. These people would be capable of demanding to know why they were not allowed off the aircraft during a medical emergency while citing a specious concern about "privacy."
There was recently a plane that crashed upon take off, and IIRC, most of the passengers behind a fellow who removed his overhead luggage rollaboard made didn't it out. For me, it was a sobering reminder that a few seconds delay can have huge repercussions. In this case, it was not about getting your suitcase, it's about delaying the people behind you with dire consequences.

In matters of life and death, prompt access to medical care is often the difference. Imagine a medical emergency for a person in row 26 who has to wait for the entire plane to empty before the EMTs get access in. Imagine the lawsuits against the airlines if the person died.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.