Sad about having to renew my passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sad about having to renew my passport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Personally I like new passports. I find after a few years passport is falling apart so much from too much use that some immigration officers pull me aside for questioning and reprimand me for having a tatty passport. They really should make them better like the old hard cover blue UK ones.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
No. I don't get emotionally attached to identification documents.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by Badenoch
No. I don't get emotionally attached to identification documents.
I don't think anyone was implying some deep connection to a piece of paper.... But I also share the OPs sense of connection to a document that has been the thing that allows access to so many countries and new places.
I am not very sentimental about anything... but I enjoy so much what my passport does in a weird way. So cool.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I still have my old fat passport because it holds visa's for the countries I travel too. The back of the passport is full of stickers (mostly from LHR security),
and yes its fun to watch immigration officers look for the visa... but to be kind to them, I have placed a rubber band on the page that has the visa... and on occasion I do get a look from other passengers waiting in line, asking about all the stickers on my passport..
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
I don't think anyone was implying some deep connection to a piece of paper.... But I also share the OPs sense of connection to a document that has been the thing that allows access to so many countries and new places.
I am not very sentimental about anything... but I enjoy so much what my passport does in a weird way. So cool.
I enjoy what my passport does too but unlike the OP I am not emotionally affected by the prospect of replacing an old one. To the contrary I am more keen to have a shiny new one because it anticipates more pages filled by going more places.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
So few countries stamp passports nowadays that this is no longer really a feature. It's mostly the USA and some African and Asian countries.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:02 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I enjoy what my passport does too but unlike the OP I am not emotionally affected by the prospect of replacing an old one. To the contrary I am more keen to have a shiny new one because it anticipates more pages filled by going more places.
That's part of the reason why the OP is maudlin about it...less and less places offer a passport chop. IME, there are still plenty of countries that do it, on the other hand those stupid chits Hong Kong and the RoK offer are quite the waste.

In their minds, if we've already passed through someone at immigration who scanned us into the system, why do we even need the chits? (perhaps so as to remind some folks of when their legal right to stay is up...)

A few other things that amuse me about the chops:
-Scaring US officials with Arabic
-Getting taken into secondary simply asking for a clearer stamp (thanks, Rostov na Donu!)
-Having someone at Beirut Airport mistaking my Lao visa for Hebrew
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:03 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Beano
how many stamps in your passport ?
how many countries have you been to ?
@Beano, that was the workhorse when I lived in China. Hong Kong stopped stamping eventually, but it had so many from Shenzhen (the border city with HK)...

Can't recall how many stamps were in it, but there were 6 or 7 additions.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: *G
Do it a few more times and you'll get used to it
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
That's part of the reason why the OP is maudlin about it...less and less places offer a passport chop. IME, there are still plenty of countries that do it, on the other hand those stupid chits Hong Kong and the RoK offer are quite the waste.
Yep that's part of the reason. No chance to 'replace' my Australia, New Zealand etc stamp. My single US stamp is also unlikely to be replaced.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I wouldn't say I'm emotionally attached to them, but I occasionally enjoy flipping through old passports. My favorite will always be the one from my college years when I first traveled Europe. Early 90's, so you got a stamp at every individual border. My later passports have a much wider array of countries from around the world, plus several full-page work visas, but the one from my backpacking years always brings back the best memories.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I get the OP's comments. I too had to renew my passport early this year. Bottom line it makes you look like a kettle. My now expired passport was full to the last page with stamps from all over the world. When I went to immigration at LHR the agent looked through my completely new empty passport and then looked at me like I was some novice goober traveler. I just smiled back at him LOL
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
I get the OP's comments. I too had to renew my passport early this year. Bottom line it makes you look like a kettle. My now expired passport was full to the last page with stamps from all over the world. When I went to immigration at LHR the agent looked through my completely new empty passport and then looked at me like I was some novice goober traveler. I just smiled back at him LOL
They can see if you've been through the UK before. Assuming you have, they probably don't think you're a *total* noob.

Look at it this way: once a decade, you reset your favorite videogame and start leveling up all over again.
PAX_fips likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
My current passport was issued in 2012 so still has a few years before expiration, but even though it was the extra page version to begin with and I subsequently added another set of extra pages just before the US stopped issuing those, I am running very low on clean pages and will probably have to renew my passport sometime in the next few months. I am VERY fond of this one, and will be sorry to have to put it away. (Not to mention how sorry I will be to have to apply for another Russian multiple entry visa only halfway through the life of the one I have...)
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:02 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
My husband's is due for renewal next year. He too is sad that he has to start again with a fresh blank passport. He loves looking through it.
Think of it as a book with a sequel. The next installment will just as wonderful as the first one was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.