Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Using entertainment devices with audio in public areas without headphones or earbuds

Using entertainment devices with audio in public areas without headphones or earbuds

Old Jun 20, 19, 7:40 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: UA GS MM, DL Plat, Mariott LT Plat/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Posts: 735
Using entertainment devices with audio in public areas without headphones or earbuds

I flew LGA-ORD this week. Seated across from me in F were two women. Before we took off, the woman in the aisle seat was watching YouTube videos at full volume without earbuds. The woman next to her asked her if she could use headphones or not play video. She flipped. She started shouting something to the effect of "I can watch whatever I want. Mind your own business." The other woman told her that she didn't need to shout at her. This made it worse. She told her she could say and do as she pleased as she was very valuable to United. I chimed in and said that she didn't need to talk to the other woman like that and that she was disturbing others by watching videos. She told me to shut up and then said "I don't need this from you, I'm Global Services."

I laughed and replied, "me, too. Your point?" She then got more frustrated and said, "I don't care. I'm a more valuable Global Services customer than you." I just laughed again. She then proceeded to call someone on her phone and said that she was happy her upgrade cleared (they moved her shortly after boarding) but that the people in F were picking on her and very mean. LOL.
EWRFlyerAL is offline  
Old Jun 20, 19, 11:38 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Earth
Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 842
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL View Post
... but that the people in F were picking on her and very mean. LOL.
How did the situation de-escalate? What was being said to her from other pax? As often as I read about these stories it astonishes me how someones behavior can change when getting inside a long metal tube.
n198ua is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 7:00 am
  #3  
LIH
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: ORD | LGA | 2E
Programs: UA GS 1.4MM UC | Bonvoy Plat | Hertz 5*PC
Posts: 745
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL View Post
..I flew LGA-ORD this week. Seated across from me in F were two women. Before we took off, the woman in the aisle seat was watching YouTube videos at full volume without earbuds...
At least that's a short route. A guy did this LAX > ORD a month or so ago. Several people asked him to turn it off and he insisted he does this all the time and no one complains. I was a few rows up but while disembarking I told the guy "you're a nightmare" and he looked at me kind of stunned at which point I followed with "there is no chance in this world that is the first time a stranger has said something like that to you, get used to it."
cawhite, trooper, Hvr and 1 others like this.
LIH is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 6:19 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: UA GS MM, DL Plat, Mariott LT Plat/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Posts: 735
Luckily, she quietly sulked the rest of the flight.
trooper likes this.
EWRFlyerAL is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 7:23 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DCA
Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,586
Originally Posted by LIH View Post
At least that's a short route. A guy did this LAX > ORD a month or so ago. Several people asked him to turn it off and he insisted he does this all the time and no one complains. I was a few rows up but while disembarking I told the guy "you're a nightmare" and he looked at me kind of stunned at which point I followed with "there is no chance in this world that is the first time a stranger has said something like that to you, get used to it."
I'll see your LAX-ORD and raise you an LAX-IAD redeye. It was a kid playing games and watching movies and according to his parents "he doesn't like earphones" and "don't tell us how to raise our children!".
Miles Ahead is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 8:04 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,706
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead View Post
I'll see your LAX-ORD and raise you an LAX-IAD redeye. It was a kid playing games and watching movies and according to his parents "he doesn't like earphones" and "don't tell us how to raise our children!".
Wow. The other two stories are crazy but you win the prize. Redeye, kids, watching movies without headphones.....the trifecta of rudeness.
RoxyMountain is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 8:16 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Posts: 2,195
Originally Posted by RoxyMountain View Post
Wow. The other two stories are crazy but you win the prize. Redeye, kids, watching movies without headphones.....the trifecta of rudeness.
To all the above, my only question is why?? I use high end noise cancelling head phones and the experience is infinitely better than sitting there with the volume up, attempting to listen to your game moving or whatever through the constant drone of the jet engines and the low end chatter of cabin pax. Not only rude but really stupid.
nancypants and LAX_BillyJoe like this.
nomad420 is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 8:39 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Honolulu
Programs: United 1k, Hawaiian Premier
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by LIH View Post
At least that's a short route. A guy did this LAX > ORD a month or so ago. Several people asked him to turn it off and he insisted he does this all the time and no one complains. I was a few rows up but while disembarking I told the guy "you're a nightmare" and he looked at me kind of stunned at which point I followed with "there is no chance in this world that is the first time a stranger has said something like that to you, get used to it."
You're my hero - I had a similar situation yesterday, although the offender wasn't as egregious. I just gave them an evil stare until they got the hint.
mdtakamine is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 9:46 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
To all the above, my only question is why?? I use high end noise cancelling head phones and the experience is infinitely better than sitting there with the volume up, attempting to listen to your game moving or whatever through the constant drone of the jet engines and the low end chatter of cabin pax. Not only rude but really stupid.
What high end noise cancelling phone are you using? Iím genuinely asking for suggestion as I find mine canít completely cancel noise if itís loud and from somewhere nearby.
bdw1120 is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 10:43 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Posts: 213
Originally Posted by LIH View Post
At least that's a short route. A guy did this LAX > ORD a month or so ago. Several people asked him to turn it off and he insisted he does this all the time and no one complains. I was a few rows up but while disembarking I told the guy "you're a nightmare" and he looked at me kind of stunned at which point I followed with "there is no chance in this world that is the first time a stranger has said something like that to you, get used to it."
I'm so glad you said something, even at the end of the flight.

The policy written in each month's issue of "Hemispheres" says that ear phones must be used at all times. I have pointed this out to both other passengers and FAs (to show to passengers) - which has always worked (so far!). It is always on a page toward the back where the food, entertainment, terminal maps, etc., are printed.

JK-SFO
estnet, trooper, MEABFlyer and 1 others like this.
JK-SFO is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 9:10 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LAX / BUR
Programs: UA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, WN A-List, Southwest happy companion pass designee
Posts: 1,173
Originally Posted by JK-SFO View Post
I'm so glad you said something, even at the end of the flight.

The policy written in each month's issue of "Hemispheres" says that ear phones must be used at all times. I have pointed this out to both other passengers and FAs (to show to passengers) - which has always worked (so far!). It is always on a page toward the back where the food, entertainment, terminal maps, etc., are printed.

JK-SFO
Thanks for this. I've asked passengers to put on headphones and even offered a spare unused set I keep in my carry on. Only once have I had someone fight me even if they were annoyed by me. BUT, I have also gauged the room and just asked an FA to say something if I felt it would result in a difficult situation. I've also noted a likely problem and just asked the FA to make an announcement -- works well, I don't know why it isn't just a standard line these days given what a common problem it is. (Today at a bar I had to ask a guy to turn it down/off -- was listening to music videos at full volume trying to compete with the already loud music in the bar... and then the lady on the other side of me decided to listen to her voicemails out loud. I really don't get it. I feel like such a cranky old man, but, geez, not annoying people around you seems like basic courtesy 101.)
estnet, farci, trooper and 3 others like this.
abaheti is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 9:13 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: Continental OnePass
Posts: 747
Iím actually surprised that it isnít part of the regular announcement they could add a ďplease remember to use headphonesĒ when they talk about in flight entertainment.
swiftaw is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 10:53 pm
  #13  
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: HKG, SFO, NYC
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Posts: 3,131
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead View Post
I'll see your LAX-ORD and raise you an LAX-IAD redeye. It was a kid playing games and watching movies and according to his parents "he doesn't like earphones" and "don't tell us how to raise our children!".
I don't know how you keep your cool in that situation. I would've literally grabbed the phone/tablet from the kid and smashed it.
nancypants likes this.
helvetic is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 11:11 pm
  #14  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 424
Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post
Iím actually surprised that it isnít part of the regular announcement they could add a ďplease remember to use headphonesĒ when they talk about in flight entertainment.
You know... you're onto something here. I might actually add that to my announcements.
cawhite and LAX_BillyJoe like this.
fezzington is offline  
Old Jun 23, 19, 11:09 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: CO
Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,238
Originally Posted by bdw1120 View Post


What high end noise cancelling phone are you using? Iím genuinely asking for suggestion as I find mine canít completely cancel noise if itís loud and from somewhere nearby.
Bose seems to be the most common one I see with FF. I use the in ear versions. Iíd love to hear (ha) what people say is the real best ones. Iíve even tried shooting ear pro that really blocks sound and Bluetooth connects to iPads. Not as good as the Bose overall, but better at blocking sound.
PushingTin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: