Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Using entertainment devices with audio in public areas without headphones or earbuds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using entertainment devices with audio in public areas without headphones or earbuds

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PushingTin

Bose seems to be the most common one I see with FF. I use the in ear versions. I’d love to hear (ha) what people say is the real best ones. I’ve even tried shooting ear pro that really blocks sound and Bluetooth connects to iPads. Not as good as the Bose overall, but better at blocking sound.
I have the B&W (Bowers & Wilkins) over-the-ear model, and I like them a lot better than I liked the Bose. The noise cancellation is similar, but the build quality is higher. I’ve also had the Sony over the ear model, and they were OK until the hinge snapped.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
I don't know how you keep your cool in that situation. I would've literally grabbed the phone/tablet from the kid and smashed it.
Two words. Buffalo Trace.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Two words. Buffalo Trace.
Umm. For you or the kid?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level

Bose seems to be the most common one I see with FF. I use the in ear versions. I’d love to hear (ha) what people say is the real best ones. I’ve even tried shooting ear pro that really blocks sound and Bluetooth connects to iPads. Not as good as the Bose overall, but better at blocking sound.
I’ve had an overear pair from Polk that I just love for almost six years. Nice fit, sturdy build, good sound.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus
Originally Posted by bdw1120

What high end noise cancelling phone are you using? I’m genuinely asking for suggestion as I find mine can’t completely cancel noise if it’s loud and from somewhere nearby.
although a little off topic: I've had the Bose and Sony (both over the ear) and found Sony working considerably better when it comes to cancelling out dynamic not-so-white-noise
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

The funny thing is I work in commercial audiovisual consulting and have many colleagues that joke Bose is an acronym for "Buy other sound equipment" but...

I've wanted Bose for probably close to a decade (never feeling like spending that much on myself) -- my wife bought me a pair of QC 25s maybe 5 years ago and can't imagine going back. Bose's customer service has also been awesome -- the right side stopped working near the end of the warranty period, Bose sent out a completely new retail boxed pair. A couple years later and well out of warranty I killed the right side again (this time figuring out I over-rotated it and likely broke one of the wires connecting the two halves) -- wrote Bose CS asking if there were [paid] repair options and they exchanged my pair for a factory refurb pair at no cost (they even paid shipping both ways).

About three months ago I saw the symptoms of the failure again and bit the bullet to buy a new pair of the QC 35 Mk II while my QC 25s are on my bench waiting for me to be bored enough to open them up and solder things back together. I blame my own rough handling more than Bose craftsmanship for the failures -- especially since their case is clipped to my bag bouncing around at the end of a carabineer.

The QC 35 Mk II has been wonderful in the 25kish miles they've been used so far -- excellent at passive (power off) DYKWIA cancellation, even better at active (power on) cancellation with supplementary masking from Bluetooth. I can't imagine leaving them on if I actually wanted to hear anything in the environment which leads to awkward one-ear-asied or completely off moments when PAs are being made, meal orders taken, etc. But does an excellent job of silencing idiots who can't be bothered to use their own earphones when playing games or listening to voicemails
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I can't imagine leaving them on if I actually wanted to hear anything in the environment which leads to awkward one-ear-asied or completely off moments when PAs are being made, meal orders taken, etc.
This is one thing I love about my Sony WH-1000XM2, a hand/touch to the right hand earpiece instantly bypasses the noise cancellation and actually amplifies the ambient sounds for just this situation.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bdw1120
What high end noise cancelling phone are you using? I’m genuinely asking for suggestion as I find mine can’t completely cancel noise if it’s loud and from somewhere nearby.
I have a pair of Beats Studio 3s that I've liked a lot. The only two complaints I've had are:
1) Having to *lean* on the volume down button every time I plug them in because they are that much better at blocking out the background noise, and
2) Having to replace the ear pads because they wore out after approximately 4-5 years.

I got them on sale for a price significantly below that of the Bose options.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
The funny thing is I work in commercial audiovisual consulting and have many colleagues that joke Bose is an acronym for "Buy other sound equipment" but...

I've wanted Bose for probably close to a decade (never feeling like spending that much on myself) -- my wife bought me a pair of QC 25s maybe 5 years ago and can't imagine going back. Bose's customer service has also been awesome -- the right side stopped working near the end of the warranty period, Bose sent out a completely new retail boxed pair. A couple years later and well out of warranty I killed the right side again (this time figuring out I over-rotated it and likely broke one of the wires connecting the two halves) -- wrote Bose CS asking if there were [paid] repair options and they exchanged my pair for a factory refurb pair at no cost (they even paid shipping both ways).

About three months ago I saw the symptoms of the failure again and bit the bullet to buy a new pair of the QC 35 Mk II while my QC 25s are on my bench waiting for me to be bored enough to open them up and solder things back together. I blame my own rough handling more than Bose craftsmanship for the failures -- especially since their case is clipped to my bag bouncing around at the end of a carabineer.

The QC 35 Mk II has been wonderful in the 25kish miles they've been used so far -- excellent at passive (power off) DYKWIA cancellation, even better at active (power on) cancellation with supplementary masking from Bluetooth. I can't imagine leaving them on if I actually wanted to hear anything in the environment which leads to awkward one-ear-asied or completely off moments when PAs are being made, meal orders taken, etc. But does an excellent job of silencing idiots who can't be bothered to use their own earphones when playing games or listening to voicemails
Bose is nice stuff but just from reading your post it seems like a high level of failure. Could be constant use, could be anything. Their support is incredible. If anyone does some decent Googling the Sony headphones(WH1000XM3) that have came out in the past few years with noise cancellation have better reviews than the Bose headsets. Not a fanboy of either but I will spend my money on whats working the best.

AeRo
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by abaheti
Thanks for this. I've asked passengers to put on headphones and even offered a spare unused set I keep in my carry on. Only once have I had someone fight me even if they were annoyed by me. BUT, I have also gauged the room and just asked an FA to say something if I felt it would result in a difficult situation. I've also noted a likely problem and just asked the FA to make an announcement -- works well, I don't know why it isn't just a standard line these days given what a common problem it is. (Today at a bar I had to ask a guy to turn it down/off -- was listening to music videos at full volume trying to compete with the already loud music in the bar... and then the lady on the other side of me decided to listen to her voicemails out loud. I really don't get it. I feel like such a cranky old man, but, geez, not annoying people around you seems like basic courtesy 101.)
I had a flight recently where passengers behind us wouldn't use headphones. I mentioned it to an FA, who talked to them, and that seemed to resolve it.

Until later when it happened again, and my GS companion mentioned it to the same FA. "I already spoke to them once. Maybe you can ask them this time."

UA apologized and gave us each a voucher.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I had a flight recently where passengers behind us wouldn't use headphones. I mentioned it to an FA, who talked to them, and that seemed to resolve it.

Until later when it happened again, and my GS companion mentioned it to the same FA. "I already spoke to them once. Maybe you can ask them this time."

UA apologized and gave us each a voucher.
Ah, these people. I have a special "trick" for situations like this. I usually pull out my phone, turn it to maximum volume, and find the most stupid and annoying video/song I can find. I press "play" and keep it going until they "get it."

Yes, it's petty and passive-aggressive, but I'm not listening to somebody else's garbage on a 12-hour NRT-IAH flight.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Ah, these people. I have a special "trick" for situations like this. I usually pull out my phone, turn it to maximum volume, and find the most stupid and annoying video/song I can find. I press "play" and keep it going until they "get it."

Yes, it's petty and passive-aggressive, but I'm not listening to somebody else's garbage on a 12-hour NRT-IAH flight.
I have no idea why, when talking about personal electronic devices in the announcements, they dont add a sentence that says all audio must be through headphones.

Last edited by swiftaw; Jul 11, 2019 at 2:47 am
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by swiftaw
I have no why, when talking about personal electronic devices in the announcements, they dont add a sentence that says all audio must be through headphones.
⬆️⬆️⬆️

This x 10!

On my EWR-PUJ flight yesterday both the pax (1A and 1B) opposite me watched the entertainment on their personal devices without headphones for the whole 4 hours. It was fine if i had my headphones in so I could not hear them but why should I have to use headphones to block out someone else's entertainment? It is called personal for a reason. No I did not say anything but kept shooting them annoyed looks (not that this made a difference).

How are others so clueless or not caring of other people around them?
Hilde likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:43 am

On a flight the other day a very young child was playing audio. A FA saw this, and made an announcement "as a courtesy to your fellow passengers, headphones should be used for all devices and this policy applies to passengers of ALL ages".

Good job.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:51 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by brewdog11

So you solve the problem of one annoying jerk being a nuisance to everyone around them… by being an annoying jerk and a nuisance to everyone around you? Now there are not one nuisance but two. Yay.

The irony is palpable… ��
LAX_BillyJoe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.