Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

9-10 Hour long Narrow Body Flights coming soon! Will you mind?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9-10 Hour long Narrow Body Flights coming soon! Will you mind?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for referring me back to thr article.
Versions of the [B707] have a capacity from 140 to 219 passengers...
The highest seating capacity of a narrow-body aircraft is 295 passengers in the Boeing 757–300...
I think those numbers alone demonstrate a difference in what was and what will be.
It's not the size of the plane, per se. It's how many people are in the plane. I say that for this size plane, anything over 220 is pressurizing the systems, the workers, and the passengers. I'd say 300 passengers in a narrow body for 10 hours is way beyond the tipping point. 6 hours? Maybe...but
I wouldn't take that flight expecting anything but misery in Y or dissatisfaction in a premium cabin.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Would this really be any worse than Y in a 787 or a 10-across 777?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Anything over 4 hours on a narrowbody is straight torture nowadays . I'd go out of my way to fly widebodies, as the double aisles help with reaching the toilet, cabin pressure is better and there's an increased chance that there are some empty seats remaining when flying widebodies.
milski and donjo like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I regularly fly MAN-EWR in Y with UA to get in and out of the US. The seats are fine for Y and I find sharing the cabin with fewer people to be more agreeable. A modern version of the B757 would suit me down to the ground.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by OskiBear
It's not ideal if for nothing than the inconvenience of a single aisle being used for passengers and crew to access lavs and galleys. However, growing up, we used to fly TPAC and hop across the ocean on 707s before 747s were commonly deployed on those routes.
Correct, we did. And I would much rather not go back to those days, when lav access was a PITA.
Spiff and milski like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:50 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Faster service on narrow body, less annoying pax, same seat width and legroom... will be ok
roberino and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
If I'm in economy I will hate it. If I'm in business class then I'll love it. But that's true regardless of airplane type. So I don't care.
AStarr likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA
The GOOD THING about the new technology that allows narrow-body planes to fly up to 5000 miles is it opens all kinds of non-stop flights on international destinations. But I still maintain that psychologically I feel less claustrophobic on a wide body plane for long flights.

Because my grandparents used to fly a narrow body 707 flight to Europe 40 years ago is not really important in the discussion about today.
milski and magnus.ant like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Definitely more claustrophobic and cramped, and it also takes some of the magic of a long haul trip away.

The other thing that concerns me is the lavs, hopefully are a bit larger (not domestic size), and in sufficient numbers. If one is clogged in an 9-hour flight it will be way more inconvenient and dangerous.

In any case, 9 hours TATL in packed narrow body won't be fun. Hopefully nobody looses it and starts peeing on their fellow passengers, lol...
milski and magnus.ant like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
2 years ago I did LHR-SIN in a middle seat with no recline in the back. I figure if I can do that I can do anything.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
2 years ago I did LHR-SIN in a middle seat with no recline in the back. I figure if I can do that I can do anything.
This is true. I have read stories where people lift cars to save people stuck underneath. There is no limit to what the human spirit can do.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by nk15
This is true. I have read stories where people lift cars to save people stuck underneath. There is no limit to what the human spirit can do.
That got a genuine LOL
Spanish likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by roberino
I regularly fly MAN-EWR in Y with UA to get in and out of the US. The seats are fine for Y and I find sharing the cabin with fewer people to be more agreeable. A modern version of the B757 would suit me down to the ground.
As noted above - UA has been doing this for years, largely serving secondary markets all over Europe. While maybe not quite 9 hours, it allows them to serve all sorts of places non-stop from the East Coast - I've done IAD-MAN, EWR-TXL and others, and am about to do DUB-ERW (shorter).

Up front, the cabin is outfitted like any other business class cabin, in economy it's frankly no more or less cramped that the INTL two-aisle birds. It's going to be miserable no matter what, and I don' really think that a single aisle adds to that misery.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by milepig

Up front, the cabin is outfitted like any other business class cabin, in economy it's frankly no more or less cramped that the INTL two-aisle birds. It's going to be miserable no matter what, and I don' really think that a single aisle adds to that misery.
Agreed. The second aisle really doesn't make any difference - during meal service both aisles are blocked, at other times they are not. Of course, I'd rather have more space than less but a 10 across 777 (becoming standard) is worse in my book than a 6 across A321. And, if travelling in economy, I've already said that price matters.
The_Bouncer and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Would this really be any worse than Y in a 787 or a 10-across 777?
Probably, because with one aisle and fewer lavs the queues might be worse and more bothersome, not to mention the cart blocking. From a snobby business class passenger standpoint, I'd worry that they may not restrict the forward lav for the cabin. And not all narrowbodies are currently configured to hold meals for the entire Y cabin.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.