Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Now Closed Airports Did You Fly Out of Before They Were Closed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
IST,DKR,SDV,ETH.

Went through DKR before things were moved to DSS. I had a 4 hr layover, went to the beach (6 min taxi ride away), stored my bags at a hotel, went for a swim for an hour, then back to the airport in time for my (delayed) flight. Can't do that with DSS
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:39 am

The ones I can remember right now are the old Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur airports. There must be more I can't recall/at the tip of my tongue.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: UA MM, Marriott Gold
As a small child, Renfrew Airport ( former Glasgow, Scotland airport). Vickers Viscount if repeated memory serves me
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: Miles & More
Subang

Originally Posted by Lifulty
The ones I can remember right now are the old Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur airports. There must be more I can't recall/at the tip of my tongue.
if what you mean by the old airport is Subang, it is still open and operates as a low cost airport.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
HKG - Kai Tak International Airport in Hong Kong
DKR - Léopold Sédar Senghor International Airport in Dakar, Senegal
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Off the top of my head:

DEN - Stapleton Airport
IST - Ataturk Airport

Not sure if this counts, but ONT is now a wholly different airport terminal than in the past. In the 1990's a new airport terminal complex was built and the original terminal was abandoned. The older terminal has been frequently used in TV and movies when a mid-century airport vibe required it, notably Leonardo DiCaprio in "Catch Me If You Can"
If that counts, then I will throw in MCT. Totally new airport on the same site I think (i.e., same runways).
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:09 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Flyertalk members have so much experience that if an airport closed, someone must have used it before.

Big airports that have closed include Munich/Riem, Hong Kong/Kai Tak, Denver Stapleton, etc.

Anyone use Greater Southwest International / Amon Carter very close to DFW? Templehof? Gaza? Goteborg Save? Fornebu (Oslo)? old Quito?

I visited Save but used Landvetter Airport
Never flew into XUIO, but I did visit the park that Quito’s airport has become. Amusingly, part of the old terminal is used as a bus station for the new airport.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
BPL - Blackpool North West England - it is still open for helicopters flying to Morcambe Bay Gas rigs though

GWY- Galway West Ireland - not really a need now there is both NOC and SNN
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
cool thread

IST Atatürk
THF Tempelhof
BBU Baneasa
DKR Léopold Senghor
YMX Mirabel

Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
DEN - Staleton
AUS - Mueller
DOH - old one
IST - haven't been through the new one yet
EFD - Ellington is still open to general aviation but no commercial flights anymore
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Not me, but I remember driving in the car to drop off my brother at Willow Run airport in Michigan.

Also not me, but the state used to fly up our paychecks (remember those) from Springfield to Meigs on a state plane. One month the flight was cancelled and we didn't get paid until a few days later.

Stapleton seems to be on everyone's list.

I hope to be able to add TXL to my list sometime in my lifetime.

Does OXF currently have any commercial service? it seems to come and go.

Last edited by milepig; Jul 3, 2019 at 11:35 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by thibderoc
New Doha is a new terminal AND a new air field. Not at all the same as before.
I thought they just extended the old one - reclaiming land - but keeping existing runways, adding and adding the new terminals?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
BPL - Blackpool North West England - it is still open for helicopters flying to Morcambe Bay Gas rigs though

GWY- Galway West Ireland - not really a need now there is both NOC and SNN
Is Blackpool really closed? I remember in the not so distant past Ryanair had a flight going there from Dublin. Must have been the shortest flight on their network.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:09 am

DEN-Stapleton
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by jrl767
  • Panama City FL (PFN) — closed after airline service moved to Northwest Florida Beach Cities (ECP) in 2010; land transferred to local authorities for redevelopment
I must have flown in there back in college. I remember a connection from (I think) ATL to PFN, might have been a turbo prop. We were going for spring break. As the FA was doing the drink service, a beer fell off the cart and was rolling down the aisle. This kid grabbed it, shotgunned it and the entire plane stared in quiet, stunned admiration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.