Reload this Page >

What Now Closed Airports Did You Fly Out of Before They Were Closed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Now Closed Airports Did You Fly Out of Before They Were Closed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA. Attended baseball games at 260 ballparks. 1,367,940 lifetime in-seat air miles.
Denver Stapleton
PFN Panama City
Don't know if any of this counts but the old commuter airport at ORD adjacent to the Butler Aviation facility; also the old Terminal 1 at ORD that became the international terminal in 1963, and the "D" gates which were eliminated when O'Hare's new Terminal 1 was built, and the old Terminal 4 at ORD that was a temporary international terminal in the lower floors of the parking structure prior to the completion of Terminal 5.
Also the old John Wayne Airport which was torn down and replaced by a new airport on the other side of the runways (isn't that what Denver did when they replaced Stapleton?)
I don't know about DHX as a designation for Denver, but locals were calling it "DOA" when the airport was completed but the baggage handling system was still a couple years from becoming operational.
I flew between Chicago and Montreal in 1967 but it's my understanding that Mirabel was not used for flights between the US and Canada so I must have flown into Dorval.
In 1965 I flew Houston to Chicago on United and the flight made intermediate stops at Dallas and at Fort Worth. I know Houston-Hobby and Dallas-Love are still open but I don't know what airport was used at Fort Worth or if it is still open.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by shoeless1920
Also the old John Wayne Airport which was torn down and replaced by a new airport on the other side of the runways (isn't that what Denver did when they replaced Stapleton?)
Definitely not. Stapleton was much closer to town.

Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA. Attended baseball games at 260 ballparks. 1,367,940 lifetime in-seat air miles.
Okay thanks for that clarification. Was DVX used as a designation for Stapleton?
Also, I flew out of Nagoya Airport in 1985 which was replaced in 2005 by Chubu Centrair International Airport although the new field inherited Nagoya's original NGO designation.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Badenoch
HKG - Kai Tak International Airport in Hong Kong
DKR - Léopold Sédar Senghor International Airport in Dakar, Senegal
Adding to my own list:

YXD: Edmonton City Airport. In my defense I didn't know it was closed. I'd flown in a couple of times on the Calgary-Edmonton shuttle. The last time was in 1996 on an Alberta government Dash 8 with Ralph Klein and his senior team so my recollections are, er, a little hazy.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Denver Stapleton

Also the old terminal at PIT before it was replaced by "Sky Mall"
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:37 pm

I also flew the old PIT around 1980 before its airport shopping mall days
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: usair, ual, co, airtran
Mount Cook Aerodrome

I flew from Christchurch to the now defunct Mount Cook Aerodrome in 1985.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Was DVX used as a designation for Stapleton?
DVX was the placeholder ID for the new Denver Intl while it was under construction and Stapleton was still operating. On the night that Stapleton closed, the DEN identifier was transferred to Denver Intl.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: Koweit, Continental, Delta, (AA UA, USAir, BA)
I am a bit shocked that everyone remembers Stapleton but no one alleges to have flown out of OPA LOCKA?? i remember flying in but for a long time though it changed its name to Miami International

Also one mention but no one says they have flown out of Croydon?

For my part, all the usual suspects, Kai Tak, Sdo Dov to Eilat, both airfields at once.

Le Bourget in the 60s when I distinctly remember a crashed ME110 by the runway. I thought the locals left it there to make them feel better, though in retrospect, unless anyone knows any better, it may have been a film prop?

Lastly, I didnt do it directly but I remember accompanying my mother to Fairey Aviation, where the departure "terminal" was a nissen hut off the A4 and we walked onto the runway to see her off?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
DVX was the placeholder ID for the new Denver Intl while it was under construction and Stapleton was still operating. On the night that Stapleton closed, the DEN identifier was transferred to Denver Intl.
Thanks for clarifying DVX.

Again I don't know if this counts but in the mid-1970's I flew to Bermuda when it was a U.S. Naval Air Station that rented out its runways to a couple of airlines (I flew on Eastern, IIRC) who used a little terminal building, before BDA became the proper international airport that it is nowadays.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Another one for Stapleton (DEN). Trivia related to it: The year it closed, I flew into DEN and out of DIA.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
YMX - my first international flight, first passport stamp, unaccompanied minor with a friend of mine. We were both 13 I think and going to the middle of nowhere.

Still does cargo apparently? I thought that place was magical and creepy at the same time.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
I flew between Chicago and Montreal in 1967 but it's my understanding that Mirabel was not used for flights between the US and Canada so I must have flown into Dorval.
Mirabel had US flights at some point because it's my first passport stamp and I flew from the US. Wikipedia claims it opened in 1975.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by nurealam
Glad to see a couple of references to YIP (Willow Run). Incredibly convenient to and for the University of Michigan
unlike DTW. Apparently still in private and industrial use (and I believe some government action way back when)
The Michigan athletic department still (or at least through 2017) uses charter services at Willow Run. Including a really scary incident with their men's basketball team a few years back.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...sh/3095406002/

The Willow Run Airport, about 30 miles (50 kilometers) west of Detroit and used mostly for charters and private planes, added a 1,000-foot (300-meter) runoff area during work from 2006 to 2009. The NTSB said the safety feature, which it recommended and the Federal Aviation Administration promoted at many airports, probably prevented a worse outcome for the incident on March 8, 2017.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:51 pm

Great Southwest International Airport closed in 1974 when DFW opened. AA is headquartered on the old property on Amon Carter Blvd. I don't remember the flight but my mom has the photograph holding me when we were flying to the west coast to meet my dad who was returning from Asia in the late 60's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.