Wiki Posts
Search

What Now Closed Airports Did You Fly Out of Before They Were Closed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
XUIO old Quito Mariscal Sucre, back in 2008
ANE Angers-Loire before it went general aviation only
Eventually(!) will add TXL Berlin Tegel and SXF Schonefeld to this list, although of course part of SXF will become BER so not sure if that counts

I have been on really good tours of Berlin Tempelhof and London Croydon!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:33 am

Location: Farmington Hills, MI, USA, NWA MillionAir, Gold or Plat since '92
Programs: Delta Million Miler
Pontiac (Michigan) PTK. Stopped there on a North Central Airlines DC-3 on the way from YIP (another closed commercial airport) on the way to Pellston (PLT). We flew along I-75 and the cars below were passing us on the way from PTK to Saginaw (MBS). One of the few times I lost my lunch because we were in some really rough air.
MRK (Marco Island) from MIA on a Marco Island Airways Martin 404
MKC (old Kansas City) stopped from DTW to PHX on a very hot summer night in an AA 727. Could not take-on enough fuel to make the last leg so hopped over to MCI (TWA overhaul base at the time) for gas
BKL (downtown Cleveland) from DTT (Detroit City airport) on a Saab 340
YNG (Youngstown, Ohio)
YIP (Ypsilanti, MI) to Boston on Eastern Airlines DC-7 Golden Falcon

Last edited by rcowen; Jul 9, 2019 at 7:44 am
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
For me, the short-lived Sheffield City Airport (IATA: SZD ICAO: EGSY) from where I flew British Airways to LCY London City and KLMuk to AMS Amsterdam. Other operators included Sabena and Aer Arann, and along with BA and KLMuk offered scheduled services to Amsterdam, Belfast, Brussels, Dublin, Jersey and London City.

The airport opened in 1997 and scheduled services had all closed by 2002. The airport closed to all services in 2008 and the land redeveloped.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
AUS - Robert Mueller
PIT - the former PIT airport
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Concerto
Is Blackpool really closed? I remember in the not so distant past Ryanair had a flight going there from Dublin. Must have been the shortest flight on their network.
I took the Ryanair flight on 3 legs. BPL put a departure tax on all flights. Ryanair withdrew flights in protest. I think that was the beginning of the end. Anyway, BPL has been closed for quite some time but there are helicopter flights to the rigs in the Irish Sea
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Stapleton, Kansas City Downtown, and Austin. Several more where the old terminals were completely replaced, but those were explicitly excluded by the OP.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:25 pm

Location: Los Angeles, xTWA Elite 1 and AA PLT, now AA EXP 3MM, Hilton Diamond
JRS

Atarot Airport Jerusalem. Flew to Eilat many years ago.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:57 pm

EFD -- Ellington Field near Clear Lake (SE Houston metro). Years ago I had a Continental flight out of IAH. When I told them I was in Clear Lake, they booked me on the EFD-IAH shuttle (no extra charge) thus avoiding the LONG ride to IAH. EFD is now used by NASA among others.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I took the Ryanair flight on 3 legs. BPL put a departure tax on all flights. Ryanair withdrew flights in protest. I think that was the beginning of the end. Anyway, BPL has been closed for quite some time but there are helicopter flights to the rigs in the Irish Sea
Shame I missed that one, was hoping to do it at some point. At least the airport still exists, so there is a flying chance something might happen in the future. As for MSE (Manston in Kent) and SZD (Sheffield City), they have gone for good.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: AirNZ
AIY (Atlantic City, NJ, Bader Field) on a scheduled Continental Express service. (Twin Otter taking off in a gale.)
YMX (Montreal Mirabel)
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest & HiltonHHonors.
Coventry Airport, in Warwickshire, was a dream to fly out of.

A mere 40 minute drive away from my house was Coventry Airport (CVT) in the UK. Charter and no frills airlines used to fly to mainland Europe from here.
The car park was a couple of minutes' walk to the check in desks and there was just a handful of them. Not heaving with passengers either.
Upon arrival, passport control was someone from the local constabulary with a laptop.
The baggage area was rather small, by the usual standards, with one conveyor belt for the luggage.
It was all very civilised and a joy to use.

Alas, it's no longer open to commercial airlines.

Last edited by Cypress; Jul 10, 2019 at 5:17 am Reason: Adding the airport code
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Montreal Mirabel for me. I was a kid then so I don't remember much, but I quite liked the buses that attached to the plane and slowly went down again like a lift.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by rcowen
YNG (Youngstown, Ohio)
Not closed - just no commercial passenger service.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Berlin Tempelhof
Denver Stapleton
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:55 am

YIP

Glad to see a couple of references to YIP (Willow Run). Incredibly convenient to and for the University of Michigan
unlike DTW. Apparently still in private and industrial use (and I believe some government action way back when) but
the LGA-->YIP flights for me (my parents lived near LGA) when I was an undergrad at Michigan were so easy and comfortable.
Capital Airlines and I believe one other may have made that trip (Northwest? Was there a Northwest in the late 1950s-early 1960s?
I think any out of state UM grad or faculty would remember Willow Run (if they are as old as I am!). Hardly a terminal; no frills; couldn't have been easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.