Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Power Outages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Hotel Power Outages

What is your expectation of the hotel’s response to an extended power outage?
I was in a Fairfield in Cheyenne WY last weekend. I checked in at 4:00PM. I was in the elevator and the power went out. The transformer blew out front after a big lightning strike. The elevator went to the first floor and opened. Whew,
After 2.5 hours of sitting in my hotel room in the dark, I decided to go out with some friends for dinner, we asked the hotel clerk (she was the only employee in the building) if she had a plan to move guests if the power stayed out In the dark. She had no plan, not had her management. I was not really planning on spending the night in a hotel with no power.

Luckily, the power came on an hour later while we were out. But it got me thinking about what a proper response should be, and whether the hotel can safely have guests with no power overnight.

Surely others have experienced this. Is there a protocol? Would you stay in a hotel without power? When does the hotel decide to move the guests?

after the power came back on, there were a ton of electrical problems. I had to move rooms because the climate control in my room wouldn’t turn back on and the windows didn’t open. The young lady a the desk was the sole employee and there was no maintenance tech available to come over and reset the climate control systems. I thought that was weird as well. But that’s not really relevant to the discussion. I wonder when or if they would have decided to move the guests?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
You barely notice the power cuts when they happen in many African and Asian countries, as generators kick in almost immediately. After a point, you also stop noticing the power cuts themselves.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
What is your expectation of the hotel’s response to an extended power outage?
I was not really planning on spending the night in a hotel with no power.
I guess I would ask... why not?

I don't know of any inconvenience besides perhaps HVAC on a very hot/cold day, that would really interfere with a stay in this regard.
I could charge my phone in the car, don't need light to sleep.
Again, aside from HVAC, I'm not sure I would notice. Certainly wouldn't complain and absolutely would not expect to be reaccomodated or for there to be 'a plan' for power going out.

Maybe like above response, too many trips in Africa where hot water would be a luxury and there is power for 1 hour a day if at all.
Really wouldn't get in the way of any part of a stay in a hotel at all I don't see.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the hotel doesn't have emergency lighting, there's a safety issue.

Other than that, who wants to sit in a cold/hot dark room? What about taking a shower? Using a laptop or other device, including wifi?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Years ago I was staying at the Hampton Inn in Gillette, WY during a pretty nasty blizzard that took down power lines for majority of the city. I think we had 2 full days, maybe even more without power. Didn't ask, and didn't expect anything.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Don’t get me wrong, I certainly wasn’t expecting anything. But Cheyenne isn’t Africa, and it wasn’t a widespread power outage, just 2 Marriott properties.

i would not have been happy with paying full rate to stay in a hotel without power. I would have expected to be moved. The stairs were not lit past the 2nd floor, and what light there was, was simply because it was light out.

I guess I wonder if you would be happy paying for a hotel room in the USA without power, when the hotel across the street had full power.

Thanks for the responses. Still curious to know whether they could legally stay open without power given the circumstances (not in Africa and not during a blizzard).
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Back around 1995, I arrived around midnight at the beautiful Boone Tavern Hotel in Berea, Kentucky. There was a utility crew working next to the hotel, and when I walked into the lobby, I was surprised to find it lit only by a candelabra. The desk clerk checked me in, handed me a glass candlestick, and apologized for the elevator being off. The crew was replacing a large transformer and had scheduled the outage.

The Boone Tavern being an unrestored affair, they were still equipped to handle guests with or without electricity. It made for a quiet night.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
If it's the middle of summer and the room is hot there is no way I would stay there, I need AC.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the hotel doesn't have emergency lighting, there's a safety issue.

Other than that, who wants to sit in a cold/hot dark room? What about taking a shower? Using a laptop or other device, including wifi?
im not sure there is a requirement for backup lighting in the hotel room (though that would be nice). It is required in hallways, stairs, and at all exits.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Collierkr

im not sure there is a requirement for backup lighting in the hotel room (though that would be nice). It is required in hallways, stairs, and at all exits.
Wouldn't this depend on local laws, regulations and ordinances? I would hope that emergency lighting would be required in public accommodations (and multistory large multifamily housing units, whether rental/condo/coop) in the USA. Of course, room lighting wouldn't generally be required, but I have noticed that some countries (Japan, for instance, which is earthquake prone) require that the hotel provide a flashlight in every room.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:58 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
If a transformer has been knocked out, you can bet that the whole neighborhood will be without power. What do you expect the hotel to do about that? The best thing you can do is find a local pizzeria with a gas-fired oven and wine and dine by candlelight until power is restored!
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Wouldn't this depend on local laws, regulations and ordinances? I would hope that emergency lighting would be required in public accommodations (and multistory large multifamily housing units, whether rental/condo/coop) in the USA. Of course, room lighting wouldn't generally be required, but I have noticed that some countries (Japan, for instance, which is earthquake prone) require that the hotel provide a flashlight in every room.
yes there is always the local flavor of what is required, especially exUS. There may also be different Regs for new construction versus older ones that don’t have to fully meet the latest codes. That certainly applies to other types of buildings.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would hope that emergency lighting would be required in public accommodations (and multistory large multifamily housing units, whether rental/condo/coop) in the USA.
It is. That's why they put emergency lights in hallways and stairwells.

Actually ,looking around my office, they are also on the walls in the office.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Only had this happen once: in San Antonio at a Residence Inn. I was out of the hotel when the outage occurred and walked back in at 6PM after work. It was summer and they didn't know when the power was coming back on, so they were moving guests to other Marriotts nearby. Fortunately downtown SA has a jillion Marriotts so availability was not an issue. I was appreciative that they had proactively solved the problem before I arrived, so I just packed up and moved to a Marriott a 10-minute walk away. I didn't ask for or expect any further compensation, but later I noticed the RI added some goodwill points to my account (like 10k).

This was an isolated outage at the Residence Inn. If the entire city was without power, they'd obviously have to come up with another plan. Had it been winter where A/C isn't an issue, staying there might have been an option. In the summer, it was not.

I've also stayed in hotels in countries where power outages happen at predictable intervals (Nepal, etc.). If it's a small hotel, you just do without. If it's a medium-sized hotel, they might have the lobby and restaurant/bar on a generator but not the rooms. I just chalk that up to being part of the experience I guess...
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
I guess I would ask... why not?

I don't know of any inconvenience besides perhaps HVAC on a very hot/cold day, that would really interfere with a stay in this regard.
I could charge my phone in the car, don't need light to sleep.
Again, aside from HVAC, I'm not sure I would notice. Certainly wouldn't complain and absolutely would not expect to be reaccomodated or for there to be 'a plan' for power going out.

Maybe like above response, too many trips in Africa where hot water would be a luxury and there is power for 1 hour a day if at all.
Really wouldn't get in the way of any part of a stay in a hotel at all I don't see.

Um I might not have a car to charge my phone, and if someone needs to use say a CPAP machine, they’d be in trouble. If the hallways and stairs aren’t lit there’s a safety hazard. And if I paid good money to stay in a hotel, whether it’s in the US or Bangladesh, I would expect there to be power. In Bangladesh the generators pop on and your fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.