Reverse culture shock

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reverse culture shock

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: Delta, United
After being an ex-pat and returning to the US and smelling grease from fast food restaurants. Then a day later a murder.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
After three months in SE-Asia, the difference in customer service. I bought a coffee at the departure airport and was served with a smile and we had a pleasant 15 second conversation while ordering and paying, smiles all around. Back in Amsterdam, ordered a coffee at the Starbucks, zero interaction. No impoliteness or rudeness, just no effort.

Oh, and re-adjusting that the escalator on the right side goes up instead of down, that one took me a few weeks.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Fraser
It's funny how certain things become normal in a relatively short period of time...

I lived in Virginia for 9yrs before moving to NYC 5yrs ago. I still work from home for a Virginia based company and travel back on a regular basis, people are particularly staggered by what rent/housing costs, and given I work in the mortgage business, the real estate taxes. (Where I am in Western Nassau County I paid about 4x that on an equivalent value house in VA). Also, being VA, the cost of cigarettes in NY

It's all rather localized though, a couple of weeks back I went to upstate NY for a bachelor party. Fifteen of us went to a pretty decent Italian restaurant, we all had wine, cocktails, appetizers and main course yet the total bill, before tip, was about $550! The wife and I have spent double that on a meal for the two of us in the city on several occasions...
I was shocked that the property taxes in Nassau now were costing the equivalent of $2000+ per month on the house there when just a couple of Presidents back that was the monthly mortgage payment for the house. The cost of ownership of the same size house a 3-4 hour bike ride away from MSP, however, results in no similar shock over the same period of time.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by HMPS
OP which country / state/ city are you camparing CA with ? Also have you spent timein other states and city ?
Bay Area is the only place where I lived in US, spending fifteen years there from late 90x till early 2010s, living in Campbell, Pleasanton, Fremont, Mountain View, Los Altos, Cupertino and Sunnyvale.

Totally I lived in six different countries, including the current one, but only two I called 'home'.

Originally Posted by HMPS
Perhaps you can answer this : What is the minimum wage where you are and the cost to buy a loaf bread and a GALLON (count 3.8 Litres to a US GALLON) ? What percent of the hour's wage ?
Where I live there is no minimum wage, loaf of bread can go in price from app USD $1.5 to USD $10 and more, depending where you buy. Gallon of gas costs close to USD $6.3, but at the same time cheapest new car you can buy will cost of USD $100k or more - that's for Toyota Corolla or equivalent.

The percent of gas prices and loaf of bread I don't think is a reliable indicator because majority of the population does not own cars and do not eat bread on daily bases. But if you believe statistics, median monthly salary is close to USD $5K.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
After I hear different accents and I hear an Australian one I think... omg we sound like bogans (rednecks!)
davistev likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by invisible
Bay Area is the only place where I lived in US, spending fifteen years there from late 90x till early 2010s, living in Campbell, Pleasanton, Fremont, Mountain View, Los Altos, Cupertino and Sunnyvale.

Totally I lived in six different countries, including the current one, but only two I called 'home'.

Where I live there is no minimum wage, loaf of bread can go in price from app USD $1.5 to USD $10 and more, depending where you buy. Gallon of gas costs close to USD $6.3, but at the same time cheapest new car you can buy will cost of USD $100k or more - that's for Toyota Corolla or equivalent.

The percent of gas prices and loaf of bread I don't think is a reliable indicator because majority of the population does not own cars and do not eat bread on daily bases. But if you believe statistics, median monthly salary is close to USD $5K.
Singapore car costs are worse than Denmark, so it’s Singapore. Going from Singapore to the US, being a car owner is culturally shocking in how inexpensive it is?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:09 am

Food prices. I remember standing in a supermarket in freaking Edinburgh, which is about as far as you can get from Auckland, and being able to buy NZ lamb cheaper than I could back home. And NZ wine. And cheese! Considering how much milk we produce you'd think cheese would be cheap here, but nope, I can buy it cheaper in a bloody Tesco Express with a view of Edinburgh Castle.

And real estate... Auckland is ridiculously overpriced for apartments (I think our standalone prices are OK in global scale) but boy when you see some waterfront apartment somewhere nice in the Med for a quarter of the price of a mouldy Ponsonby villa...
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by hphreak
I’m going to explore this from the opposite end; I grew up in Hong Kong, and went to the uk to study for three years.

Having spent time in the UK and return to Hong Kong during my first Christmas:
1. The point about trains and metro? I never knew HK had such a great system. I always took it for granted since I used to travel among SEA countries and Japan usually and in my view all of them have plainly “good” transit, but nothing crazy. After experiencing the ones in Canada, UK, and USA? Oh man. I started having to plan on NOT relying on public transit. And upon return to HK, where a metro being late for 5 min will attract half a million US dollars in fines and a front page story, I realised the complaints of people who said hk metro was “expensive” or “reliable” just didn’t know how good we have it.

2. Loud people and rudeness? Also gotten used to politeness in the uk, and returning to hk was a shock as to how little others think about you. Loud conversations everywhere (not just locals but a lot of tourists), people yelling, loud phone calls...etc (not saying they don’t exist in the uk but there’s less).

3. Cost of living: if you think 20 dollars to taste four glasses of wine is expensive? Try HK. At a bar it’s almost USD15 for a beer (unless it’s happy hour then might go down to 9 dollars for a beer). And apartments? A 500sq foot apartment costs close to US1.5 million on HK Island. For 1.5 million I can buy a Manor House with 1 acre of land in Devon in the UK!

4. And then there is the people density... I long for the day where I can just sit in the gardens with a G and T...
1 agree
2 agree
4 agree (no G&T, just cousins from Islay)

3 - where are you hanging out at? LKF every night? A full-size 750/600ml bottle of beer is 15-20 HKD at food hall of markets. Classified has full-size glasses of wine at 30 HKD after work. I would not complaint about no duty on beverages less than 30% alcoholic content.
Your estimate for the value of a 500sf flat on HK Island is low unless you are at the extreme east or west end of the Island.

Summary: One doesn't know how good or bad they are having it until they travel and compare.

Last edited by tentseller; Jun 30, 2019 at 2:38 am
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:50 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
People who condemn US airports should try using the European ones. Most of the time, you will debark the plane at a remote stand and be bussed to the terminal. The same thing when departing: most of the time a bus will take you to the plane. The great thing about US airports is that nearly all the time you enter and leave the plane via a jetbridge, except for the small commuter planes. At London Heathrow's brand new Terminal 2, anyone leaving on a longhaul flight has over a mile to walk to get to the gate. ...?!

I agree about the exorbitant Calufornia wine prices and tasting prices. The way to get round the tasting fee is to pay for one and have your spouse share the same glass. Since they always pour too much for a single taste, it's easy to share. And don't swallow the wine, swirl it in the mouth and spit it out. On the other hand, I see most American wine tasters swallow, which is not advisable if you are tasting, as I do, 40-50 wines a day. I buy direct from wineries in France as well as S. Cal. I would estimate that on average what I can buy for $45-50 in the Napa Valley will only cost me 18 Euros in France.

The thing that strikes me most about California is that no one walks anywhere,.People jog or run on the sidewalks, but you seldom see someone out walking. The whole state is set up for driving. Same thing in Texas.

Anyone who thinks that 3 bedrooms + 1 bath is normal outside the US should visit the UK, where an ensuite bathroom in the master bedroom and a family bathroom for everyone else is now becoming the norm.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: Miles N More, One World
Originally Posted by invisible
Please don't consider this question trolling, but is there a a place in US where lodging inside or close to the entrance of National Park won't cost starting from $200/night?
I live in Round Valley AZ and we have the Apache Sitgreaves National forest 30 minutes away. $200if you stay in Round Valley would be 2-3 nights of lodging and if you AirBnB you can get great deals. We have multiple lakes and alpine settings. The Petrified Forest is only an hour north.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by 1P
People who condemn US airports should try using the European ones. Most of the time, you will debark the plane at a remote stand and be bussed to the terminal. The same thing when departing: most of the time a bus will take you to the plane. The great thing about US airports is that nearly all the time you enter and leave the plane via a jetbridge, except for the small commuter planes. At London Heathrow's brand new Terminal 2, anyone leaving on a longhaul flight has over a mile to walk to get to the gate. ...?!
European and APAC airports, in general, have different design principles from US airports. EU/APAC tends to consolidate into a big terminal, so instead of separating by trains or buses (JFK, LAX), you get a huge airport and thus require a lot of walking (HKG, AMS for example). It's easier for connecting flights, consolidated shopping and dinning experiences. As for jet bridge, it really depends. CX LAX-HKG is by no means a small jet but also requires bus to connect to aircraft at LAX. See discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...t-chaotic.html

I do agree with the above that US airports, and to be boarder extend, infrastructure in general, are falling behind. As a cyclist myself I always hope the roads in the U.S. (except Colorado) could be as good as those I enjoyed in Swiss, France or Australia. And train/bus/public transit are well explained by above posts - where can I check in downtown and just ride to an airport with my carry on, outside of HKG?

There are exceptions for sure, such as SIN and LHR.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Jun 30, 2019 at 7:00 am
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by freecia
Two positively associated ones - Costco and Target. The expanse of products in larger sizes with so much suburban retail space is something else.
The Costco retail model is enabled by comparatively large US homes. In homes in most of the rest of the world there is no room to store 25 rolls of toilet paper.

Originally Posted by Amelorn
America... The highly polarized politics & the presence in conversation. This doesn't seem as pronounced in other parts of the Anglosphere that I have lived in (UK, AU, NZ).
Really? Look at the state of discourse eight now in the UK and Australia. I think both have grown more extreme and rage-motivated recently, on parallel course with the US. When we visit Oz we have to tread just as gingerly around political topics with our hair-trigger relations, who hold fierce and uncompromising views, as we would visiting certain pockets of the US south.

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
...And train/bus/public transit are well explained by above posts - where can I check in downtown and just ride to an airport with my carry on, outside of HKG?.
Because of overlapping, slow-moving, splintered authorities and port commisions, etc. in the US, even when we do infrastructure upgrades, the results are usually frustrating. When the Seattle region finally laid light-rail track to SEA after an eon of fretful discussion, the station was positioned hundreds of yards from the terminals, with a weather-exposed walk through the parking garage to reach your flight. Install the platforms underneath the terminal, in the manner of LHR, HKG, KUL, SYD, AMS, etc? Oh, no: "Too hard." It's almost impossible in the US to do sweeping, holistic infrastructure in the Asian manner. Even when we amass the money and will, we end up doing ill-fitting layers and increments as expensively as possible.
ryw likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
There was a study that came out a few months back that described Americans, despite their position of global weath, as some of the most stressed people on the planet and I do feel the cracks are showing through the general US tendency toward polite small talk

With US property taxes it’s not just which state and municipality you bought in, because of ‘save our homes’ laws, it’s often also when you bought. We bought our house pre-boom in a place where the big beach house crowd effectively subsidizes the rest of us when it comes to county tax roles and the homestead rules mean we pay less than 0.5% of the current value of our home in property taxes (homeowners is another story)

It’s an interesting contrast how much easier it is to enter many foreign countries on a USA passport than to clear immigration when returning to my own
Silver Fox, strickerj and ryw like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BearX220
The state of US transport infrastructure. Given our national aversion to reinvestment in shared resources we have the airports and transit systems we deserve, but it is a regular shock for me to return from Europe or Asia to a US airport that is dilapidated, understaffed, overcrowded, cracking and leaking, etc. and then use a train system that is literally crumbling before one's eyes. Londoners in particular complain endlessly about the tube and regional rail, but stand them next to nearly any US system and they look like gleaming Asian modernity. And the Asian systems? Japan, Malaysia, Hong Kong, China? They look like science fiction.
I think the issue is more that it's very inconsistent in the US and dependent on when an area's decided that updates are no longer possible to defer. For instance, Terminal 2 at SAN is actually pretty nice and modern (though definitely nowhere near the likes of, say, SIN)--while T1 is the same overcrowded building that's existed since the 1960s.

In general, though, the feeling I always get when I return to the US is that people in general seem more okay with the concept of "society" elsewhere. That is, people are more accepting of the idea that we're all in it together, whereas Americans are more individually focused. Some are even hostile (though that may be the wrong word to use here) to the idea of pooling our shared resources to help the less fortunate.

BTW, speaking of no longer possible to defer, our banking system's also a mess that is now just starting to be rectified to some extent (e.g. the adoption of chip-based cards a decade+ after everyone else and the adoption of things like Venmo to enable instant bank transfers).
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by 1P
People who condemn US airports should try using the European ones. Most of the time, you will debark the plane at a remote stand and be bussed to the terminal. The same thing when departing: most of the time a bus will take you to the plane.
This seems like a gross exaggeration. I can't think of any major airport in Europe where you routinely board through a remote stand.

Originally Posted by akl_traveller
I remember standing in a supermarket in freaking Edinburgh, which is about as far as you can get from Auckland, and being able to buy NZ lamb cheaper than I could back home.
Ha! I had this exact conversation with my mother yesterday. My mother lives a few miles from the Bombay Sapphire distillery in the UK where the typical price is about £30-£35 per litre. My local liquor store here in NYC is selling it for $38 for 1.75 litres. (yes, tax etc. but still, it's amusing)
farci and Silver Fox like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.