Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Flying out of the way for business class

Flying out of the way for business class

Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
I'd take J class all the way. Some destinations (ie Papua New Guinea) are not so easy to get to with minimum flight time from the West. Then again, I enjoy the actual travel experience of getting to the destination, so I do not represent everybody.

You're already talking about a long trip, so 15 extra hours doesn't seem like much when you can actually be comfortable and pampered.

Some good recommendations from other members here, not sure if they work for you. A 1 hour connection at any connecting hub would make me nervous, and especially at an airport with tropical weather like Singapore! May you have happy trails whatever your decision may be...
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Spanish
I'd take J class all the way. Some destinations (ie Papua New Guinea) are not so easy to get to with minimum flight time from the West. Then again, I enjoy the actual travel experience of getting to the destination, so I do not represent everybody.

You're already talking about a long trip, so 15 extra hours doesn't seem like much when you can actually be comfortable and pampered.

Some good recommendations from other members here, not sure if they work for you. A 1 hour connection at any connecting hub would make me nervous, and especially at an airport with tropical weather like Singapore! May you have happy trails whatever your decision may be...
I routinely take one hour connections at NRT. In probably 40 connections in 15 years, I’ve never missed one.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
For a honeymoon its J all the way...
the last thing you want to do is to worry about having to sit in coach.. cramped, no legroom, overhead bins being full, and not being able to sleep if you desire..
Trust me.. since most of my international returns take off at 2.00 or 4.00 am, its so relaxing knowing that I can get on the plane and sleep
MEABFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:27 am

If you provide us with your return date you'll get some good advice on options.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
If you provide us with your return date you'll get some good advice on options.
Looking to depart Bali or gateway city on 3/27 or 3/28 as we plan to go back to work that Monday (3/30).
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by shmuey
... OR we'll have to terminate business class in LAX and fly economy domestic from LAX to IAD. Either way, business will require some additional expense and time.
depending on calendar, Alaska often has LAX-IAD/DCA in F for ~$479 and Premium Economy for ~$375
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'm assuming some of those 30 or 40 hours include layovers, so that's another reason to fly business class when you'd have lounge access (hopefully with showers to refresh you) and priority treatment.
Spiff, Artpen100 and Baghoarder like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If you have the miles and the time, fly J. Especially if you're redeeming AS on CX, where it's actually a really good value for your miles. Perhaps I'd fly good long-haul Premium Economy product (40"x20" give or take) in a pinch, but not Y.

Hard to assess how good or bad a 45 hour journey home really is without seeing the actual options. I don't really like sitting around in airports, so I'd rather have a 23 hour connection than a 7 hour one. Next year, redeeming AS on CX, we're spending a couple days in HK on the way back.

Assuming you don't have a hard/fast requirement to be home at a set time, I'd err on the side of (a) fewer segments and (b) less "dead" time in airports. While some F lounges are amazing, most of the world's J lounges start to look the same after you've been in a few. I don't need 5 hours in one - I'd rather have a full day in an interesting city as either a long layover or a short stopover.
MSPeconomist, HMPS and PAX_fips like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:30 am
Original Poster

We are flying CX to start, but using United points for the return. These are the 2 best options I could find. Ideally we'd like to be home Sunday, but could compromise and return Monday. Either way we are training from NY to DC or flying to Jakarta and getting a cheap hotel the night before. Im just a bit worried about the layover time for the AC flight from HND.

Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This one would be easy for me: I'd book the all-J itin.

Effective duration is basically the same. Leave Bali late one afternoon, arrive home late at night one calendar day later.
Both itins require one positioning flight or train.

Spending 8 hours in the back of an NH 787 is the big strike against Itin #2 . Slightly more complicated logistics with the positioning flight first and needing to get to/from a hotel are also minor strikes against it. IRROPS on that positioning flight could theoretically be a problem (although not terribly likely). IRROPS on Itin #1 aren't as big of a deal because you can always get from JFK to DC via any number of modes.

As long as there's no super-critical reason to be in DC on Monday, that'd be my choice. And hey, it's an extra day in Bali.

I have flown TPAC J on AC and had a good experience. I have not flown Asiana, but expect that it's probably also a good experience. Relative quality of the J products, in this case, wouldn't be enough to affect my decision.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
This one would be easy for me: I'd book the all-J itin.

Effective duration is basically the same. Leave Bali late one afternoon, arrive home late at night one calendar day later.
Both itins require one positioning flight or train.

Spending 8 hours in the back of an NH 787 is the big strike against Itin #2 . Slightly more complicated logistics with the positioning flight first and needing to get to/from a hotel are also minor strikes against it. IRROPS on that positioning flight could theoretically be a problem (although not terribly likely). IRROPS on Itin #1 aren't as big of a deal because you can always get from JFK to DC via any number of modes.

As long as there's no super-critical reason to be in DC on Monday, that'd be my choice. And hey, it's an extra day in Bali.

I have flown TPAC J on AC and had a good experience. I have not flown Asiana, but expect that it's probably also a good experience. Relative quality of the J products, in this case, wouldn't be enough to affect my decision.
Im leaning itin #1 as well. Originally my fiancee didn't want to take the extra day off work, and I may have to fly to a conference Monday night/ Tuesday morning to DFW, but it's only tentative for now.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
That long coach leg on the first leg would be a bummer. Are both awards the same amount? If you have to book JFK-IAD on your own, are you going to get hit with luggage fees?

JFK is in my top 3 list of least favorite US airports.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
That long coach leg on the first leg would be a bummer. Are both awards the same amount? If you have to book JFK-IAD on your own, are you going to get hit with luggage fees?

JFK is in my top 3 list of least favorite US airports.
Yes, both are 90k each. We would Amtrak from NYC to DC. The long coach would suck but it is daytime, so less of a problem. Plus we are (unfortunately) very accustomed to flying longhaul in Y.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
If I had to get from JFK to Penn Station after 40 hours on a plane I'd probably just give up and kill myself.
Yoshi212 and _fx like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
If I had to get from JFK to Penn Station after 40 hours on a plane I'd probably just give up and kill myself.
My personal preference would be a JFK-WAS flight, of which DL has many to all 3 airports. (AA probably has some too.) Nice to know the train or a rental car is there in case of IRROPS, but they wouldn't be my Option A.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.