Skunky smelling guy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skunky smelling guy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Skunky smelling guy

Ok, so not much gets me going these days, but I was seated next to a very malodorous passenger who was in 9B on AA6088 PDX-LAX or 6/24. He literally reeked of dope and it was freaking disgusting. Of course there were no other seats The FA acknowledged that he whiffed but did not offer any kind of solution, so I endured. It's bad enough with 'traditional' smellies, but with this new found freedom to self medicate being available on the whole West Coast, I'm starting to notice an increase in stoners on board. I doubt they even realize how much they smell, or how repulsive that smell is to others. It was so strong that when I got off the plane and met a colleague at LAX, he noted I had a 'fragrance' about me!

I'm starting to think there needs to be legislation here, what say you?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:08 pm

AA’s contract of carriage allows gate agents to deny boarding to malodorous passengers. You could suggest this next time before departure
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by davie355
AA’s contract of carriage allows gate agents to deny boarding to malodorous passengers. You could suggest this next time before departure
Now that can be a publicity nightmare ! Also GA / FA will need corroborative "smellers".
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I had a buddy in uni who's summer job was to remove dead bodies and bring them to the funeral home he worked for (the glamour!).
Anyways they just always had vicks va-po rub, smeared a little under their nose and voila nuthin but minty goodness.
he said a cop buddy told him they all do it at murder scenes.
So i keep a little tube in my computer bag or back pack and when there is a smeller near by....well a little dab 'll do ya.
rickg523, HMPS and Kevin AA like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HomerJ
I had a buddy in uni who's summer job was to remove dead bodies and bring them to the funeral home he worked for (the glamour!).
Anyways they just always had vicks va-po rub, smeared a little under their nose and voila nuthin but minty goodness.
he said a cop buddy told him they all do it at murder scenes.
So i keep a little tube in my computer bag or back pack and when there is a smeller near by....well a little dab 'll do ya.
^
Lots of reason people can smell up a place. Take care of it yourself.
Legislation - I'll assume the OP was kidding - is a non-starter.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:22 pm

Would Tiger Balm or Monkey White Peach balm work as well?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes - tiger balm white (not red!) under the nose will effectively block out all kinds of odors.
tentseller and cawhite like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
^
Lots of reason people can smell up a place. Take care of it yourself.
Legislation - I'll assume the OP was kidding - is a non-starter.
The problem is do they know they are walking stink bomb ? Do they care ?
Today's PC culture prohibits us from pointing out such obvious "disruption" to those around us ! Heck when I pointed out to someone his zipper was down, he took offense at it, wanted me to mind my own business. This was a work colleague at a conference !
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HMPS
The problem is do they know they are walking stink bomb ? Do they care ?
Today's PC culture prohibits us from pointing out such obvious "disruption" to those around us ! Heck when I pointed out to someone his zipper was down, he took offense at it, wanted me to mind my own business. This was a work colleague at a conference !
Well, in the event, them knowing that they smell doesn't make a damn bit of difference to me. I just don't want to smell them. So I carry my own remedy.
(Imo, your colleague is - literally and figuratively - a d*ck. Which is something like what I would have said to the guy. "You may want to be a d*ck, but that doesn't mean we all have to see yours. Zip up, fool."
HMPS, ysolde and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by timfountain
Ok, so not much gets me going these days, but I was seated next to a very malodorous passenger who was in 9B on AA6088 PDX-LAX or 6/24. He literally reeked of dope and it was freaking disgusting. Of course there were no other seats The FA acknowledged that he whiffed but did not offer any kind of solution, so I endured. It's bad enough with 'traditional' smellies, but with this new found freedom to self medicate being available on the whole West Coast, I'm starting to notice an increase in stoners on board. I doubt they even realize how much they smell, or how repulsive that smell is to others. It was so strong that when I got off the plane and met a colleague at LAX, he noted I had a 'fragrance' about me!

I'm starting to think there needs to be legislation here, what say you?
If his fragrance transferred to you, this could be scary if you had been connecting to a flight to certain countries and then had to go through immigration and customs.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Bring back the War on Drugs! Marijuana is just awful!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Bring back the War on Drugs! Marijuana is just awful!
KevinAA you do know more states are legalizing cannabis ?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by HMPS
KevinAA you do know more states are legalizing cannabis ?
Did you miss the icon?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I'm gonna have to add Vicks to my packing list. ^ I was once stuck next to a woman who kept reapplying perfume every hour flying NRT-IAH. That was a particularly miserable flight.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Well, in the event, them knowing that they smell doesn't make a damn bit of difference to me. I just don't want to smell them. So I carry my own remedy.
Yes, that is the only way to deal with it when you are in close quarters with the public. Vick or white Tiger Balm for me as well. The issue is sometimes they are so used to the aroma that they think it is normal.

(Imo, your colleague is - literally and figuratively - a d*ck. Which is something like what I would have said to the guy. "You may want to be a d*ck, but that doesn't mean we all have to see yours. Zip up, fool."
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, .... Oh, Never Mind!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.