Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Small bottles of toiletries equal great luxury?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Small bottles of toiletries equal great luxury?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Tellerwaescher
These toiletries come often in small plastic bottles and therefore produce huge amounts of plastic waste
Only if you waste them. Re-use or re-cycle and your OK.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
As we know from previous discussions in this forum toiletries are an important part of the luxury experience. These toiletries come often in small plastic bottles and therefore produce huge amounts of plastic waste. As there are growing concerns about plastic waste the question arises, how important are the small bottels to you in a luxury hotel? Would dispenser bottles of Aromatherapy or Le Labo be acceptable? What could be alternative solutions to reduce the palstic waste created in hotel bathrooms?
How does a small plastic bottle produce a "huge" amount of waste? Does it expand when it gets thrown away?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
How does a small plastic bottle produce a "huge" amount of waste? Does it expand when it gets thrown away?
Per your quote, OP said "small plastic bottles" (plural). Presumably multiplying by the quantity of them equates to his/her definition of huge amount of waste.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I've noted increasing use of dispensers for body wash, shampoo and conditioners in hotel showers. The dispensers are fine providing they are out of the way. I dislike the little plastic bottles found in hotel rooms and upon arrival they are cleared off and replaced with my own products in reusable containers. This is not a tribute to the environmental gods but a desire to maintain some consistency in aroma. Scent is one of the more underrated yet powerful senses and I prefer not to smell different when travelling due to different soaps and shampoos.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Other than those flying with carry-on only, how about bring your own shampoo and such and use none at the hotel? Is everyone dependent on hotel toiletries or they are dirty and smell bad?

Those little soaps in all hotels are too small for other than children's hands. Bring a bar of soap too.
writerguyfl and kimberlyrose like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I usually take the small bottles to give away to charity (homeless shelters, etc.) but I don't mind the large dispensers. I find that they are actually more functional in the shower (no messing with small, slippery caps that are impossible to open).

However, my biggest pet peeve is when there is no bar of soap for the shower, I simply don't like using shower gel. Hotels that don't provide a bar of soap for the shower might give you a small one for the sink and I bring it back and forth between the shower and the sink. I've taken to trying to remember to always leave a travel bar of soap in my toiletry bag for this reason.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I have to say that while my wife and I do an incredible job here at home with regard to recycling, cloth bags for the grocery store, etc., I cannot stand the dispenser stuff in Aloft hotels. Since they are the only property that I stay at that does this, I try to remember to bring my own, which typically is something I picked up from another hotel. It's not me being cheap or not caring, it's being practical with weekly travel, and I want to carry the very least amount I can. For a while I would use my own containers, but they simply don't last more than a few trips. Much easier to use whatever the hotel has, except for Aloft.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
Only if you waste them. Re-use or re-cycle and your OK.
Not true at all. Most plastics are burned. When you say "recycle" you mean put them in a recycling bin? That basically means nothing. Many waste management companies just throw them away. Some try to ship them to other countries for recycling, and those countries are rejecting the waste.
You are also doing more harm if you throw in unclean goods and "contaminate" the other clean plastics. That means the whole lot gets thrown out. As last I heard, China was refusing most plastics but if it was below a certain amount of contamination they would take it.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:12 pm

I just bring my own 3oz toiletries which I pre-fill before the trip. They take up minimal space and the weight is negligible.

Problem solved.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:19 pm

The vast majority of the population does not stay in luxury hotels. The vast majority of shampoo is dispensed by people at home from large containers that aren't used by a hundred other people and get refilled by a stranger.

If it concerns you that much, then take the unused product home, or donate it to charity. There are bigger issues in the world than this.
And the vast majority of the world's resources is consumed by America, which does not have a majority of the population.
If every Chinese person used the same amount as an American the world would be dead.

So, small things don't matter? Do they build up, perhaps? Maybe like how we are made of atoms?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Athena53
I like the small bottles and always take the partly-used ones home and use them at the gym. Same with the soap. (Yes, I AM frugal- more $$$ for travel.) And, if I'm in a road trip with multiple hotel stays, I may re-use the shampoo from a previous stay rather than open another.

Over 10 years ago I stayed in a hotel in Zurich that had a single dispenser in the shower, which was supposedly body wash AND shampoo. I was a little skeptical that it would do both jobs well, but supported the idea of getting rid of all the plastic mini-bottles.
I like the small bottles, too. We take the partly-used ones home and use them up -- at the gym or my husband will use them when he goes hiking. We will then re-fill the empties with our own shower gel, etc. on our next trip -- they are usually perfect in a 311 bag.

My husband doesn't much mind the single dispenser in the shower. I don't like it at all. I find it difficult to get shower gel out of it, perhaps because I am short and have weak hands. I have always just ended up grabbing a mini bottle of shower gel from my 311 bag whenever I have encountered these dispensers.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
When I first encountered the dispensers, I thought they looked really cheap and questioned the hygiene. But since there has been more talk lately about the horrors of single use plastics, I'm changing my mind a bit. Most hotel rooms have at least 3 small bottles of product, replaced daily. Las Vegas alone has 150,000 hotel rooms, so that's 450,000 plastic bottles on a busy night. For the sake of argument, let's assume an average of 2/3 occupancy (I have no idea what the real #s are), that's over 100 million single-use bottles a year - in one city. I'm not an environmentalist by any stretch of the imagination but even I think that sounds really bad for the planet. I don't have a problem with luxury hotels providing small bottles of high-end brands as a customer gift but I think it may be time to cut them out for the vast majority of hotels who offer run-of-the-mill products.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:26 pm

Kimptons don't do bottles. California passed a new law banning them so we'll see how other hotels react.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Not true at all. Most plastics are burned. When you say "recycle" you mean put them in a recycling bin? That basically means nothing.
This is a very important point. We're being naive to think we earn good karma by putting our junk into recycle bins. Very often our trash is moved to other parts of the world, polluting them even more. Several countries -- including poorer ones -- have already taken steps in the fight against plastics by banning plastic bags. Hopefully other plastic products are not far behind. We'd do well by following their example in North America.

Last edited by thebakaronis; Jun 26, 2019 at 8:35 pm
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
As we know from previous discussions in this forum toiletries are an important part of the luxury experience. These toiletries come often in small plastic bottles and therefore produce huge amounts of plastic waste. As there are growing concerns about plastic waste the question arises, how important are the small bottels to you in a luxury hotel? Would dispenser bottles of Aromatherapy or Le Labo be acceptable? What could be alternative solutions to reduce the palstic waste created in hotel bathrooms?
I disagree.

I like and use these small hotel shampoo bottles. Since I stay at the same places, I have identical bottles. I can balance one upside down into the other so all the shampoo gets emptied in 2-15 minutes.

I looked in my waste. There is far, far more plastic food packaging than one small hotel shampoo bottle in my trash.

No for change. I want my small hotel shampoo bottles. This issue is a made up issue by busybodies who fail to see the real source of plastic waste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.