Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Traveling overseas with 2 Grand Children Question

Traveling overseas with 2 Grand Children Question

Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Which country? Did he ask the travel party for a letter and was such shown?

“Where is your daddy” or “who is this (older person)” are the kind of questions they sometimes ask when a child is traveling with just a male adult who doesn’t fit the immigration agent’s stereotypes of how families are. Even if with a letter that is notarized.

I would hope the immigration agent’s questions weren’t sexist and ageist, but I know the questions from border control types can be deeply rooted in the agents’ prejudices/held stereotypes. Having and using an approval letter doesn’t necessarily resolve the issues when encountering agents’ prejudices in action, but at times such a letter may help and at least get the agents to move on to something and someone else.
It was in Canada. I didn't hear the whole thing.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I've seen a little girl of 4 ish travelling with an older man and the immigration agent had her sit on the counter and he asked "where is your mommy".
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I would hope the immigration agent’s questions weren’t sexist and ageist, but I know the questions from border control types can be deeply rooted in the agents’ prejudices/held stereotypes. Having and using an approval letter doesn’t necessarily resolve the issues when encountering agents’ prejudices in action, but at times such a letter may help and at least get the agents to move on to something and someone else.
When our son was about three years old, all three of us (me, Mom, son) were queueing one summer afternoon for an auto-ferry from a Canadian port back to the United States. Son sitting on hood of car. A pair of uniformed Canadian immigration officials strode up to us and, without acknowledging Mom or me, asked our son probing questions: "Where do you live? Are these your real parents? What do you call her (indicating Mom)?"

Fortunately he answered soberly. In that situation obviously no letter would have helped because we were both standing right there, clutching our three valid / current passports. But the episode sensitized us to the unpredictable weirdness and occasional irrationality you see at border checkpoints and from then on one of us never tried to leave / enter the US with our son without a notarized letter from the other.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: Skywards, QF FF
Resident of the UAE here. My child and I have different surnames, and once I have been questioned coming into the country with him (“where is your husband??”).
There was some talk in the UAE papers last year about new requirements for travel with minors, but seemingly nothing official ever got released and it appeared that it was possibly specific to travellers arriving from India.
Immigration are unlikely to bat an eyelid if all travellers have the same surname, based on what I have been told by friends who travel in and out frequently. That said, always better safe than sorry, in my opinion, and you never know if you’ll get an immigration guy in a bad mood.
I always travel with my child’s birth certificate and a letter of no objection from my husband. Have also been questioned in the UK, but that’s beside the point here.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
It was in Canada. I didn't hear the whole thing.
If trying to enter Canada by air as a solo adult with young child(ren), Canadian border control authorities will often ask about a letter. If transiting airside at YYZ or YVR or YUL, not as commonly. If trying to enter Canada by air, then almost always IME.

Originally Posted by BearX220
When our son was about three years old, all three of us (me, Mom, son) were queueing one summer afternoon for an auto-ferry from a Canadian port back to the United States. Son sitting on hood of car. A pair of uniformed Canadian immigration officials strode up to us and, without acknowledging Mom or me, asked our son probing questions: "Where do you live? Are these your real parents? What do you call her (indicating Mom)?"

Fortunately he answered soberly. In that situation obviously no letter would have helped because we were both standing right there, clutching our three valid / current passports. But the episode sensitized us to the unpredictable weirdness and occasional irrationality you see at border checkpoints and from then on one of us never tried to leave / enter the US with our son without a notarized letter from the other.
The variable approaches that go on with any given country’s authorities are far worse when the family doesn’t fit the racist and sexist (and maybe ageist) prejudices of the personnel encountered. And then letter or not, it’s best to go into the situation informed about what is actually legally required with regard to written permission forms before even traveling and being prepared (along with preparing the children as much as possible) to stand one’s ground while prepared, letter or not, notarized or not, by answering confidently and consistently.

I have witnessed enough “making up rules” and inconsistent, unfair encounters from passport control authorities when it comes to family travel, that, except for in countries where it’s legally required, I don’t hold much faith that a letter with a notary or not will make all that much difference. What makes a difference more is what the border control individual thinks about the family upon seeing them and the behavior of the people in the travel party and how they do or don’t fit into the personal expectations of the border control personnel encountered.

Would I suggest that the grandparents have a letter from the parents? Yes. I would also suggest having a smartphone that works abroad to make video calls to the parents and having the parents ready to answer at around the time the kids and grandparents get to the passport control checkpoint. Being in a position of confidence and well-informed about the actual legal requirements in advance of travel is the best pre-emptive defense to what goes on at airport passport control checkpoints.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.