Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are there ever July 4th fireworks overseas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are there ever July 4th fireworks overseas?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:44 am
Suspended

Sure they do. Many places have very robust expat communities that organize all sorts of events including fireworks. If you can't get fireworks than you can at least usually find some kind of 4th. celebration picnic.

Shoot the local embassy an email and they can let you know what may be available.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Why would, say, the UK hold fireworks for US Independence Day? Not even Canada does this for its neighbour. US Independence Day is nothing to the rest of the world.

Conversely, does the US hold fireworks to celebrate China National Day on October 1st? Or fireworks on August 15th for India Independence Day?

Having been an expat for many decades, I'm no longer surprised when (some) newly arrived US expats don't realise the world doesn't celebrate US Thanksgiving. There'll be some restaurants happy to cash in, but there won't be a parade - and certainly not a public holiday weekend!
We don't celebrate China National Day, but many places celebrate Chinese New Year. And Cinco de Mayo is popular, as is St. Patricks Day, and I have seen some Diwali celebrations recently. I have always thought 4th of July was always a under-marketed holiday internationally. Yeah I know it's technically a celebration of Independence, but for others, why not use it as an excuse for cookouts and fireworks? I think it would be fun if more countries starting celebrating other countries holidays and culture.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Enigma368
London does have various events and fireworks for US Independence day. It also has an official celebration for other national holidays e.g. Trafalgar Square hosts a big Canada Day celebration every year. It's a global world city with expats from every part of the world.
Any suggestion on what hotels to book to get the best view of these fireworks in London?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Traditionally, Geneva's a party with fireworks on the 4th of July. In addition, there are firework displays on Lake Como, IIRC organized by one of the major luxury hotels [hold a] country-club like dinner and dance.
Do they have this each year in Geneva? Trying to determine which would be the best hotel from which to catch the display that evening. Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:45 am

Organizations in Israel, whose members are expats will have celebratory parties. No fireworks!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Up in the Thousand Islands area of NY and Ontario, whatever week/weekends contain July 1 and July 4 are an excuse to party. So yeah, fireworks all over the place throughout that period. Sort of like Detroit and Windsor, although on a more mom & pop scale.

Lots of US cities have smallish Bastille Day celebrations, albeit not with big fireworks.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
You can probably catch fireworks in the Philippines on the 4th of July, since that’s when they celebrate their independence from the US.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Dunno, but our embassies worldwide hold open houses on Canada Day, but we don't really have the security issues a US Embassy does so not sure if they do sumthin' similar.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Enigma368
London does have various events and fireworks for US Independence day. It also has an official celebration for other national holidays e.g. Trafalgar Square hosts a big Canada Day celebration every year. It's a global world city with expats from every part of the world.
I'm not sure. Previous celebrations were in BAttersea Park in West London but you should probably google to see what is happening this year, I don't live in London anymore so not sure. I should clarify that any fireworks displays are likely to be pretty modest. It is not going to be like the fireworks London puts on for New Years. This will be more of a smaller event put on for American expats mainly.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Independent

Funny to read the comments - all the Mexicans complaining that Cinco de Mayo isn't their independence day, while all the Americans are like - yeah, pretty much nailed it. You mean they don't do that?
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by awayIgo
Organizations in Israel, whose members are expats will have celebratory parties. No fireworks!
Years ago, I was in Jerusalem over the 4th, staying in the King David Hotel. No fireworks, but there was a huge cake in the lobby, all in red, white and blue icing, reading "Happy Birthday America".
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Used to have some good fourth of July fireworks in our expat community here but no longer allowed.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Um, Paris does nice fireworks on the fourteenth of July.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do they have this each year in Geneva? Trying to determine which would be the best hotel from which to catch the display that evening. Thanks!
Yes, or at least there was every year in the 80's/90's... but afaicr it's not over the lake but in a sports park south of town. Best would be to check in with the american consulate who will be able to give you the details.

Otherwise there are big fireworks on the 1st of August all accross Switzerland. Those will be visible from the lake hotels.

Enjoy !
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Um, Paris does nice fireworks on the fourteenth of July.
Yes, an actual European holiday would probably have much better fireworks and be a much more interesting cultural experience than some small July 4th celebration held for expats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.