Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Public transport - different countries - do you say "thanks"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Public transport - different countries - do you say "thanks"?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Public transport - different countries - do you say "thanks"?

Inspired by the bumped thread on sitting up front in taxis, in different countries, do you say "hi" and "thanks" to the driver of a bus?

In NZ:
ALWAYS say thanks (considered rude not to) when alighting
SOMETIMES say hi/gidday when getting on
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by akl_traveller
Inspired by the bumped thread on sitting up front in taxis, in different countries, do you say "hi" and "thanks" to the driver of a bus?

In NZ:
ALWAYS say thanks (considered rude not to) when alighting
SOMETIMES say hi/gidday when getting on
What a bizarre statement. Wouldn't a better title for your thread be: "When dealing with humans - do you say 'thanks'?"
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
What a bizarre statement. Wouldn't a better title for your thread be: "When dealing with humans - do you say 'thanks'?"
I don't think saying "thanks" to bus drivers on alighting *is* universal. Just like queueing etiquette. Thus sociology and anthropology!
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by akl_traveller
I don't think saying "thanks" to bus drivers on alighting *is* universal. Just like queueing etiquette. Thus sociology and anthropology!
This depends on the Society and the Culture where you are. Some countries it just not done ! They look at you strangely if you do / say the "civilized" society mannerisms.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HMPS
This depends on the Society and the Culture where you are. Some countries it just not done ! They look at you strangely if you do / say the "civilized" society mannerisms.
"Civilized" society as opposed to which "uncivilized" societies? I suspect our worldviews on this are similar (the quotes you put around the word "civilized" is an indicator), but I want to ask anyway since we see this word being used on FT at an alarming rate (2 times just today).

Thank you for indulging me.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
"Thank you" in the native language is key to know. I usually say it when getting off, even if leaving by a mid-bus exit.

Boarding, there's often a jam of people and I typically just smile/nod if the driver is looking. S/he often is not.

I'm not sure I've visited anywhere that I wouldn't considered civilized. Such a location (e.g. North Sentinel Island) probably doesn't have a public transportation system.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
I’m not on a bus all that often, but in my experience, norms even vary within a country. I hear people thanking the driver often in San Francisco as they disembark, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard it in Manhattan.

I always thank taxi and ride share drivers, and I always thank bus drivers if I disembark at the front (i.e. smaller car rental shuttle). I don’t feel the need to yell across the length of a city bus if I’m getting off from the back.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Canada: DO say thank you
Switzerland: DO NOT say thank you (just do not talk to strangers at all )
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:49 am

I usually hit them with that head nod haha
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Hmmm - I might have to look into moving to Switzerland! There's far too many social expectations in Canada
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Really? My impression is that at least parts of Switzerland follow German norms and one would be expected to say hello and goodbye in small shops, etc. as well as thank you.

IME it's more in big east coast USA cities where one doesn't talk to strangers (except to thank taxi drivers, etc.).
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
In many places you board a bus through the front door but exit through a rear door. Does anyone in any country thank the driver when exiting at the rear door?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
It depends where in Canada and varies by city. For example, saying thank you when alighting is the etiquette in Victoria/Vancouver BC but is almost never heard in cities in Ontario and Eastern Canada.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I think the design of the bus is also important .
I commute in the UK on a bus that only has a front door and the driver sells the ticket or check the passes when you board, I say Hi and thanks everyday I get on and off

last time I was in Zurich I bought my ticket from a machine on the platform and boarded and alighted the bus through either the middle or rear door and didn’t interact with the driver at all.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:54 am

I say "Thank you" if I am disembarking at the front door by the driver. I also say "Hello" as I am boarding. For reference, I am American, and I do this no matter in which country I am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.