Fear of international flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fear of international flying

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by TechMarauder
I fly all the time, but I do admit that I get a little uneasy feeling going from LAX to SYD. I mean, you’re overwater for 16 hours. There are stop over points within a certain distance in order for the plane to be certified, but there is definitely a loss of control. For me, the excitement always wins out though!
Flying from HKG to MEL, I get a bit leery flying over the outback, wondering whether we'll have to go all Max Max to survive an emergency landing there.
TechMarauder and tentseller like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HardToConcentrate
Anxiety sucks! I LOVED flying as a child, but do get more nervous now, even though I love to travel. Pretty sure most of that is related to control issues. 😆
I’m doing my best to work with anxiety, as opposed to fighting against it. It seems to be more productive.

Have you tried meditation? I use an app called Calm. It’s quite helpful. It has loads of meditations on all sorts of topics. Even ones for flying. You can download them and use them offline.

I believe you can get a week free trial then either pay monthly or yearly.

The Calm app, and my Bose Quiet Comfort headphones, have made flying more enjoyable for me.
I just downloaded "Calm". Lots of good things there. I see they even have episodes available for flight anxiety. Going to listen to this when I'm on the plane.

Thx for recommending that.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Marla456
I just downloaded "Calm". Lots of good things there. I see they even have episodes available for flight anxiety. Going to listen to this when I'm on the plane.

Thx for recommending that.
Good luck with your travel today.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Remember, the airplane doesn’t know it’s over water.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Aisle seat.
A really compelling book that draws you in.
Noise canceling headphones.

Get in in your zone and concentrate on the book, not in the world around you.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:01 pm

I, too, am anxious when flying. I have a prescription for Lorazepam, which I haven’t taken in a few years, but keep with me. Many years ago, I ordered the “SOAR” fear of flying course that Captain Tom Bunn produced. It helped a lot. It provides tools to help cope with anxiety. Have a great holiday!
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Hi and welcome to Flyertalk

I'm late to the party and you are probably up in the air right now, enjoying a smooth safe flight.

There are actually plenty of places to land while over the water. Your airplane is ETOPS certified to continue flying for 120~240 minutes should an engine failure occur, and thus the pilots will always make sure it's always within that range of an island airport.

Enjoy your holiday!
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Hi and welcome to Flyertalk

I'm late to the party and you are probably up in the air right now, enjoying a smooth safe flight.

There are actually plenty of places to land while over the water. Your airplane is ETOPS certified to continue flying for 120~240 minutes should an engine failure occur, and thus the pilots will always make sure it's always within that range of an island airport.

Enjoy your holiday!
It is actually a bit safer as the rules are you must be within ETOPS range (90.120.180) of an airport who's runway threshold can handle a safe landing at your payload (including fuel). Some open ocean flights are not in a straight line due to this safety rule.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:00 am

Carry a shot of bourbon/vodka/gin in a little bottle labeled "Shampoo." Liquor is the quickest way to take the edge off in case of sudden turbulence or an event (nearby lightning strike, for instance) that sends your adrenalin level up. Even if you can rationally convince yourself that flying over water or over land is statistically safe, the sensation of anxiety is still very unpleasant. I think I overcame fear of flying simply by flying a lot and living with the sensation (which included using alcohol.) The main thing is not to let the anxiety keep you from flying where you want to go - use medication, alcohol, meditation, cognitive tools (conversation with a seat mate helps a lot, for instance) - but keep getting on planes and make that European trip: A long trans-oceanic flight generally leads you to forget you're in a plane; it's hard to for your brain to sustain the phobia that long.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by ConnieDee
Carry a shot of bourbon/vodka/gin in a little bottle labeled "Shampoo." Liquor is the quickest way to take the edge off in case of sudden turbulence or an event (nearby lightning strike, for instance) that sends your adrenalin level up. Even if you can rationally convince yourself that flying over water or over land is statistically safe, the sensation of anxiety is still very unpleasant. I think I overcame fear of flying simply by flying a lot and living with the sensation (which included using alcohol.) The main thing is not to let the anxiety keep you from flying where you want to go - use medication, alcohol, meditation, cognitive tools (conversation with a seat mate helps a lot, for instance) - but keep getting on planes and make that European trip: A long trans-oceanic flight generally leads you to forget you're in a plane; it's hard to for your brain to sustain the phobia that long.
Not to mention that from much of the US, you really don't spend that much time over the open ocean while traveling to much of Europe.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Just remind yourself your fear is real but the reality makes you out as a fool. Also, the BVI's are my favorite place in the entire planet. Snorkleling and vistas are amazing. You are a lucky person.
Relax, maybe get some meds, enjoy your trip. You are gonna love it.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Remember, the airplane doesn’t know it’s over water.
I'm going to tell this to my golf ball.
bonoman, Mendobrew, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by Marla456
So I have an upcoming trip to the British Virgin Islands this week and I love traveling.

My issue is that I HATE flying over large bodies of water so instead of looking forward to my trip, I am having major anxiety. Plus I saw online that the weather when I'm returning will be bad in my hometown (rain). I hate flying in bad weather.

But yeah flying over water makes me extremely nervous (tho it never bothered me in the past). I keep thinking the worst will happen. Also, what happens if there's an emergency? There's nowhere to land!

Can anyone relate to this? What has helped you?
If it makes you feel better your pilot will likely never be out of sight of land.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
If it makes you feel better your pilot will likely never be out of sight of land.
This. I don't even think ETOPS comes into play if we're talking U.S. to SJU. It's just an overwater-equipped plane that isn't ever far from land at all.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ConnieDee
Carry a shot of bourbon/vodka/gin in a little bottle labeled "Shampoo."
No need for subterfuge- I bring mini-bottles in my Freedom Baggie and as long as they're under the max size it's OK. You just need to be aware that the rules require that the only alcohol you're allowed to consume on board is that served by the FA. ;-) I tend to BYO just so I can have a nightcap in my hotel room and not pay minibar or room service prices.

I know the OP's trip is over at this point but I had a coworker for whom Xanax worked well. She said it didn't make her feel high or otherwise alter her mood- it just made her stop worrying about flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.