Taking kid in First Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking kid in First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
If sending children flying on their own, then economy is fair enough. Deliberately travelling separate classes as a family is ridiculous.
Fraser, lhrsfo, NoLaGent and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:17 am

Take a step back and look at the big picture. Your son is already "spoiled" compared to the general population which certainly doesn't get to hop on a jet and go to New York for the weekend as a matter of course. Has this sort of priviledged life made him unbearable? Is he rude to others or feel superior to them in any way? If not, you have successfully kept from spoiling him so far and I don't think which class of service you ride in will make a difference.

So now we are down to the real issue, do you want to be at odds with your wife over this matter?
NoLaGent and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
I used to live in New York in the eighties, flying a lot with Pan Am. My eldest son (aka Cost Centre number 1) was used to travelling in F on miles, now he is 40 and travels FR without any problems. Travel in First Class with your son!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Do it. As others have said, if he's spoiled he's spoiled already. If he's not, one flight won't do it.

DS, now 34, flew in Business Class when he was young because my husband racked up a lot of FF miles. Later, when he and I flew to Myrtle Beach to visit my parents, he asked why were weren't flying in Business. I explained to him that the extra cost of Business Class (about $1,000 at the time for the 2 of us) was about what we'd spent the month before to fly to Montreal on PeopleExpress (yeah, it was a while ago), stay in a nice hotel and do some sightseeing. He "got it". If he'd had a problem with it I would have just told him that he could choose whatever class he wanted when he was buying his own tickets but this was the choice I made.

For the record: he's extremely frugal as an adult and I think he'd choose the "DHL box with air holes" option rather than pay for Business Class.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:04 am
Suspended

Take him. If it "spoils" him, then next time reserve him a last row middle seat in coach.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dont quite understand why this decision is based on your kid - you are not sending him alone right?
Where do you and wife want to sit? If you want to be in F - book F, in CW - book CW. Kid is more intetested in making sure ipad is charged, working and full of games/videos/music/whatever.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Go for it, and explain that "This is what business class is like on a proper airline."
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:57 am
Original Poster

It’s only me and him going. 13th surprise birthday treat.
He doesn’t even know about any of this as yet.
Wife staying at home with the two other kids.
He is in no way spoiled and when I do tell him we’re going business class to NYC he will be beyond excited.
I suppose going F improves my experience more than his but he’d love it regardless, and in no way is he uppity, expectant or “entitled”.
He’d be put back in his place if even tried to be.
However, it’s now a mute point because ALL that first class availability has disappeared.
Doh!
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
OP, Please listen to your wife and others here. CW by itself is a tremendous treat....for a 13 year old or one who has never traveled upfront.
I had the luxury of giving brand new cars to my kids but they were given used ( second hand ) cars. Later they understood that itwas not a birth right and that one must learn to do less should the need arise later in their lives. Today they outspend me and times I yell at them for getting us in a suite on a cruise as overkill !
Besides the kid cannot enjoy the booze or some of the food treats in F .
On the plane in CW tell him he will go in F upon graduating from college with a proper degree. Give him something to work for.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:04 am

Took my 14 year old from LAX=PHL-MAN over Christmas (EPL trip)...surprised him with business class...he was thrilled. (used 110K points)

Took coach back from CDG...first time on a 787 and really liked it. We were both fine, though my back hurt the next day from either the 10 hour flight or the really bumpy ride from DFW-LAX on a ratty old 321.

I still remember flying back in first when I was 15 or so on Pan Am from FRA-JFK over 40 years ago...
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I say go for it. I grew up thinking my seat in the last row was fine, because how cool am I that my parents paid for tickets to Hawaii. Now my kids have flown in first to Australia and Europe, Hawaii, spent time in fancy lounges such as Polaris with United, etc. Both know that they have reached an age where my Wife and I will settle into Business Class or First, and its possible I'll let them sit back in E+. They are fine with that and super thankful that they get to travel to XYZ. My wife and I drive cars that are very high end, but my kids know something more like a Subaru will be their first car, not a Range Rover. My kids do odd jobs for a small amount of money, and love every minute of it. They both made $20 each for a full days work the other day, and cannot wait to do it again.

Exposing them to high end travel simply gives them incentive to work hard in life. No participation trophies for them, period. Work hard, play hard.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
My children seem to be under the impression that F (even J) are cheap or free to the intelligent person who knows how to get them, not that they are for the la la rich. Wonder how they got that?

By the way, when I was a very young child, I was treated to first class long distance travel with my family in what was then probably one of the most luxurious modes of travel available. I remember every meal. It remains one of my fondest memories. I still have my ticket. One of my parents died suddenly thereafter. Might color my memories.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:14 pm

I see this as an investment in time and memory making with your Son as long as you can afford this luxury without going into debt. Your wife isn't wrong however she may be looking at the $$$ cost and not the investment reward in your relationship with your Son
. If your Son doesn't know about this gift of time then work it out with your wife. Remember the kids will be grown and gone, but hopefully the marriage will last a long time.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Your wife is right, but you're going to do what you want to anyway. You only came here to make yourself feel better about it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
El Puerco Volante and HMPS like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:21 pm

I think your wife has a valid point - and I doubt the kid will notice much difference. My first flight in J was at age 32 and F at 34. So that was a lot more special to me because I earned it, rather than had it as an expectation, or had it provided for me. My father (foolishly) still refuses to fly anything higher than W even though he can afford it - I think that's silly. But it's your right to raise your kids however you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.