Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking kid in First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Taking kid in First Class?

Going to NYC in CW with my (by then) 13 year old son, near Christmas for just 2 nights.
Booked CW cash & now there LOADS First Class availability to potentially upgrade.
However, my wife says NO.
She feels its too spoiled & will make him not appreciate it for later in life, eg big 18th or 21st trip.
I disagree.
Who's right .......
heehee.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
I agree with your wife! Business class at 13 years old is pretty special as is - why not leave him something to aspire to in his later travels.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Tell your wife this is BA, not Emirates / Etihad / Singapore :-)

FWIW mine have done BA F a few times and prefer Emirates J because it has better kids TV. The TV selection and screen size is all they care about!

YMMV.

Last edited by Raffles; Jun 5, 2019 at 1:49 am
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
For so many reasons he may not get the chance again. However only you know how spoiled it will make him feel. I say you should do it as a special family treat for Christmas.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:54 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
One of our senior partners had a child that once stood up on a seat and loudly demanded an explanation why a regional J seat didn’t go flat, as the passengers in economy were passing through on their way to the back...

if you're hoping to support your argument with your wife by quoting a bunch of forum responses, BAD IDEA.

I suggest the DADT approach, the asking forgiveness is better than getting permission approach, the we got upgraded lie of omission, the let’s get mommy a nice a gift in Bergdorfs approach...
orbitmic, NoLaGent, ysolde and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Your wife is clearly right - that's just a given. But I would still do it. My 13 y-o has been in F 5 times already - however he's quite happy with any class as long as he gets to his destination. It doesn't appear to have spoiled him.
Bophopper likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by noFODplease
I agree with your wife! Business class at 13 years old is pretty special as is - why not leave him something to aspire to in his later travels.
+ 1 for your wife’s perspective.

And what specific aspects of F class would a typical 13 year old be likely to value / appreciate, ie over and above the comfort of business ..... ??
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Personally, if I were you and you have the Avios just go for it but only First out and staying put in CW coming back which a relatively 'short' long haul flight. My own view is life is too short so look at it as a special treat perhaps?

AIUI there's no difference in cash, as in any extra taxes to pay, to UuA and going to the east coast USA is not a lot to spend Avios wise for the three of you and will give you access to the CCR etc. Quite a few years ago now but I have taken my Son in F a few times using UuA but it was worth every moment and I have very fond memories of those trips.

However as always YMMV and you'll get a range of opinions of FT
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
My philosophy in life is the Nike slogan, 'Just do It'.
PETER01 and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Bophopper
Going to NYC in CW with my (by then) 13 year old son, near Christmas for just 2 nights.
Booked CW cash & now there LOADS First Class availability to potentially upgrade.
She feels its too spoiled & will make him not appreciate it for later in life, eg big 18th or 21st trip.
I disagree.
Who's right .......
heehee.
We don't apply the same logic to the clothes we buy for our children, the cars we drive them around in, restaurants we eat at or the house we buy. Why should flying be any different?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Bophopper
I disagree.
Who's right .......
heehee.
Sod that! Live life as it comes, I've taken my 9yo in F. If I've got a chance to fly in F, then I'm not going to miss out on my own enjoyment because she might not think CW is special enough later in life. Anyway, chances are that she'll be flying Y when she travels by herself and that'll teach her!

LF
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by amt
One of our senior partners had a child that once stood up on a seat and loudly demanded an explanation why a regional J seat didn’t go flat, as the passengers in economy were passing through on their way to the back...
Not loudly but I clearly remember my daughter (now 10) once sitting down in a WT seat when she was about 4 or 5, and asking me why the seat won't go flat...

It was at that point I realised she's way too spoilt, and the occasions we've taken her in anything above WT/WTP since are few and far between (of course the fact that we now have 3 of them to pay for also has something to do with it...).
awayIgo, wrp96, NoLaGent and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:31 am

The usual approach is for you and your wife to travel in F whilst children sit in Y.
gnomeza likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Spoiling, IMO, is to pay for the kids to travel in F or even J on their own. Family trips are another different matter.
wrp96 and benjai like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Greenpen
The usual approach is for you and your wife to travel in F whilst children sit in Y.
It's only me & him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.