FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Sleeping In-Flight (NYC to KEF)? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1972297-sleeping-flight-nyc-kef.html)

RJS5689 Jun 2, 2019 8:41 am

Sleeping In-Flight (NYC to KEF)?

I'll be leaving from JFK at about 8:20pm and flying to KEF (Iceland). My flight time is about 5.5 hours and Iceland is 4 hours ahead of NYC. This means I land at about 5:55am local time, but to my body it will feel like it's approximately 2:00am. I have a friend who lands 3.5 hours after I do and was planning to stay at the airport so we can head to our AirBnb in Reykjavik together.

I tend to stay awake on flights because I've occasionally had ear/sinus problems (I now wear Earplanes, take a Sudafed and spray Afrin before departure and repeat if the flight time requires it).

I'm trying to figure out what my best strategy should be for optimal rest and minimal downtime/drowsy time. Do I try to get some shuteye on board? Do I stay awake the whole time and sleep when we arrive in Reykjavik (though I'll have been awake essentially overnight at that point)? Maybe I can find somewhere around KEF to get a few hours of shuteye until my friend deplanes and is ready for pickup?

Any advice from travelers who have been in this similar situation is greatly appreciated!

Often1 Jun 2, 2019 10:15 am

I try to adjust immediately to the local environment. Thus, arriving at 05:55 local time means that I start my day at that time. I'll take whatever I can get for the abbreviated night.

Juju2014 Jun 2, 2019 10:56 am

I would try to sleep for a few hours on the plane, and again for a few hours somewhere until your friend arrives.

rankourabu Jun 2, 2019 5:06 pm

I would try waking up really early that day (or maybe even the day before) - like 3/4am - so by the time you get on the plane, you will be tired, and hopefully catch some sleep.

Thats my plan, our flight from YYZ also arrives at 2:20am home time this summer. And to make it worse, it will be daylight for like 22 hours!

sbm12 Jun 3, 2019 3:54 am

If you don't have checked bags you can hang out in the terminal after clearing immigration and before leaving the airport. That won't help with the sleep issues but it should at least let you be comfortable during the wait.

Personally I always try to sleep immediately after departure on TATL flights from east of the Mississippi. They're too short anyways and it sucks, but a little sleep is better than none.

Also, if you want a beer in the terminal buy it from the food souvenir store instead of the restaurants. Same exact beer for a third the price.

GetSetJetSet Jun 4, 2019 11:11 am

Sleeping in an Iceland Air seat won't be a possibility sadly haha

MissJ Jun 4, 2019 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Juju2014 (Post 31163008)
I would try to sleep for a few hours on the plane, and again for a few hours somewhere until your friend arrives.

That's what I would do. Actually, I would probably go ahead and go to the AirBnB in most cities but it's a long, expensive ride to the city from KEF. I do not handle jet lag well so getting sleep would be a priority. I would look into lounge access. I've been all over KEF but really didn't take notice of sleeping possibilities. Personally, I would take a xanax (or melatonin if you don't have a prescription) and get as comfy as possible to sleep on the way there.

Some people can get 4 hours of sleep and then force themselves through the next day, you have to ask yourself if you are one of those people. Me, I get really disoriented, have headaches, and just cannot function so I would catch as much rest as I could.

RJS5689 Jun 6, 2019 6:42 am

Thanks for the advice, all! I've spoken with a local airport hotel and will have a room to sleep in for a few hours while awaiting my friend's arrival. I think this will be the best plan for me. I'm looking forward to my trip!

Originally Posted by MissJ (Post 31170700)
Some people can get 4 hours of sleep and then force themselves through the next day, you have to ask yourself if you are one of those people. Me, I get really disoriented, have headaches, and just cannot function so I would catch as much rest as I could.

You don't want to see me/be around me after four hours of sleep. haha!