Community
Wiki Posts
Search

big airlines just don't get it, especially in USA

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
in Denver, what about any of these airports ?KAPAs main runway is over 3000m. No idea of pavement strength.

KBJC main runway is over 2700m

KFTG main runway is over 2400m

No idea what runway an A220-100 or -300 needs, but it's surely a lot less than a B737 or A320.

What I'm on about is maybe none of the 60 min drive, park right near the terminal at low cost & walk the 100-200m to terminal, like at EGE.

Just looked up specs for A220-100 & -300 below is from wikipedia (hopefully correct)

-100 TAKE OFF AT MTOW ONLY 1463M/LANDING MLW 1387M

-300 1890M/1509M
An A320 could use any of those three runways.

Living in Boulder, sure, I'd love not to have to drive all the way around the city to DEN.

But there's a reason I fly into SFO instead of OAK on my business trips—frequency. Meetings cancelled? Hop on an earlier flight. IRROPs? Plenty of backups. Service into secondary airports is unlikely to match the frequency on a major route like that (UA has >15 flights/day), so I'm stuck.

That assumes the schedule would even work for me in the first place. Airport location ultimately doesn't get to dictate my travel plans—price and meeting *my* schedule determines which airline I book.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
in Denver, what about any of these airports ?KAPAs main runway is over 3000m. No idea of pavement strength.

KBJC main runway is over 2700m

KFTG main runway is over 2400m

No idea what runway an A220-100 or -300 needs, but it's surely a lot less than a B737 or A320.

What I'm on about is maybe none of the 60 min drive, park right near the terminal at low cost & walk the 100-200m to terminal, like at EGE.

Just looked up specs for A220-100 & -300 below is from wikipedia (hopefully correct)

-100 TAKE OFF AT MTOW ONLY 1463M/LANDING MLW 1387M

-300 1890M/1509M
Hell will freeze over before any of the airports mentioned allow commercial service. I have frequented every airport you mentioned and hundreds more in my private airplane, and love just about all of them. You will never see commercial service in your lifetime or mine. I'm not sure of Australia's attitude, but I live near the Air Force Academy, and despite the fact that it was here long before housing developed around it to the east and north, many locals complain that the airfield should be closed out of noise consideration. I personally don't mind, in fact I even enjoy it. Tomorrow is graduation which will include not only the Thunderbirds, but the B2. Nevertheless, complaints will show up on social media. Point being so many people are against everything airport wise, it's the nature of the beast here.

Even if you could win over local support, adding commercial travel means TSA agents, the required equipment for security, etc. This isn't something simple like adding a gas station (sorry, petrol and even that is a controversy. Welcome to the USA, where some complain about everything.
BearX220 and strickerj like this.

Last edited by COSPILOT; May 29, 2019 at 10:17 pm
Old May 29, 2019, 9:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

& THIS

They plan to fly from secondary airports in the New York (Stewart), DC (Baltimore), Chicago (Gary, Indiana), San Francisco (Oakland, San Jose), and LA (Burbank, Ontario, Orange County) areas. They’ll fly to places like Orlando Sanford and St. Petersburg, Florida.

They want to fly to Mesa, Arizona rather than Phoenix, Concord not Charlotte, and Fort Worth Meacham. Even Cleveland would be served via Burke Lakefront Airport.
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...and-60-planes/

below is from wikipedia

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Hell will freeze over before any of the airports mentioned allow commercial service. I have frequented every airport you mentioned and hundreds more in my private airplane, and love just about all of them. You will never see commercial service in your lifetime or mine. I'm not sure of Australia's attitude, but I live near the Air Force Academy, and despite the fact that it was here long before housing developed around it to the east and north, many locals complain that the airfield should be closed out of noise consideration. I personally don't mind, in fact I even enjoy it. Tomorrow is graduation which will include not only the Thunderbirds, but the B2. Nevertheless, complaints will show up on social media. Point being so many people are against everything airport wise, it's the nature of the beast here.
was just thinking outside the box. Many airports like list from wikipedia, don't have lot of services at present, but if you live close by, it sure beats a long hike & long time getting in & out of big airports.

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 11, 2019 at 9:09 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old May 29, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
was just thinking outside the box. Many airports like list from wikipedia, don't have lot of services at present, but if you live close by, it sure beats a long hike & long time getting in & out of big airports.
Totally agree with what you are thinking, but what I want doesn't matter if 95% of the others disagree. I'd park a cheap helicopter in my driveway if I could get away with it.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
They plan to fly from secondary airports in the New York (Stewart), DC (Baltimore), Chicago (Gary, Indiana), San Francisco (Oakland, San Jose), and LA (Burbank, Ontario, Orange County) areas. They’ll fly to places like Orlando Sanford and St. Petersburg, Florida.

They want to fly to Mesa, Arizona rather than Phoenix, Concord not Charlotte, and Fort Worth Meacham. Even Cleveland would be served via Burke Lakefront Airport.
this is all marketing-speak

BWI, OAK, SJC, BUR, ONT, SNA are “secondary airports” only in the context of not being the highest-traffic airport in each metropolitan area

Allegiant already serves Sanford, St. Petersburg, and Concord, as well as Williams Gateway in the Phoenix/Mesa area; Burke and Meacham haven’t seen commercial service in ~30 years if not more ... it will take more than marketing-speak to overcome G4’s presence at truly secondary airports as well as the dominance of the existing majors at CLE and DFW/DAL respectively

Last edited by jrl767; May 30, 2019 at 7:46 pm
Old May 30, 2019, 12:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

[QUOTE=jrl767;31152282]

They want to fly to Mesa, Arizona rather than Phoenix, Concord not Charlotte, and Fort Worth Meacham. Even Cleveland would be served via Burke Lakefront Airport.[/QUOTE]
this is all marketing-speak

BWI, OAK, SJC, BUR, ONT, SNA are “secondary airports” only in the context of not being the highest-traffic airport in each metropolitan area

Allegiant already serves Sanford, St. Petersburg, and Concord, as well as Williams Gateway in the Phoenix/Mesa area; Burke and Meacham haven’t seen commercial service in ~30 years if not more ... it will take more than marketing-speak to overcome G4’s presence at truly secondary airports as well as the dominance of the existing majors at CLE and DFW/DAL respectively
if you live close to a 2ndary airport, it will be a no brainer. Allegiant form what I know, does lots of very small towns very infrequently. Suggest Moxy might do some 2ndary airports many times a day. Don't think Moxy are trying to take over the world, but just make it easier for passengers & business people will love using smaller airports, as quick to get in & out of.

heard the same arguments about Sydney airports. If a 2ndary airport is closer & easier to get in & out of, it will be used. Time is money & if a business person can save 3 or 4 hours stuffing around on a day trip, then it will be very popular.

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 11, 2019 at 9:09 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old May 30, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: Independent
This is Neelman. This is a start - I would not take the small airport thing as the ultimate strategy. Isn't this how JetBlue started?
Old May 30, 2019, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Moxy in USA will clean up along with LCCs that fly into smaller 2ndary airports, with quick in & out.

I along with millions of other frequent flyers, don't want to spend a minute longer at an airport that I have to.

Low costs don't want to go anywhere near big congested airports, with massive delays & passengers don't want to pay their outrageous car parking fees.

Also who wants to go to a hub airport ?
The minutes you save not going to a congested airport are spent on a congested highway getting to a remote aerodrome. Public transit isn't an option because the buses, trains and subways don't extend to rural cornfields. The money saved on parking is spent on gasoline driving to the hinterlands.

That nice lounge that frequent flyers can spend their time in is replaced by hard-backed plastic chairs in a waiting area where food and drink are dispensed by vending machines.

And if the weather gets bad or your plane breaks down you are stuck in a distant location with few options other than to sit in a spartan waiting room until the storm passes or the mechanics arrive.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
& THIS

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...and-60-planes/

below is from wikipedia

Keep in mind those are speculative, though educated, guesses. Nothing has been confirmed or set in stone as yet and won't be for some time.

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Totally agree with what you are thinking, but what I want doesn't matter if 95% of the others disagree. I'd park a cheap helicopter in my driveway if I could get away with it.
And by the way, where are those flying personal cars that they've been promising us since 1950?

if you live close to a 2ndary airport, it will be a no brainer. Allegiant form what I know, does lots of very small towns very infrequently. Suggest Moxy might do some 2ndary airports many times a day. Don't think Moxy are trying to take over the world, but just make it easier for passengers & business people will love using smaller airports, as quick to get in & out of.
Well, Moxy is willing to do so, as long as there is a viable business case for it. I hope they succeed, as we need more competition, and I'd certainly give them a try if they meet my needs for a particular trip. But success is far from a sure bet.

Whether it's a no-brainer depends on the details. As I mentioned before, the thin frequency and lack of robust backup options in the case of IRROPS is a limiting factor for the likes of Allegiant - definitely for business travelers but even for some leisure travelers.

heard the same arguments about Sydney airports. If a 2ndary airport is closer & easier to get in & out of, it will be used. Time is money & if a business person can save 3 or 4 hours stuffing around on a day trip, then it will be very popular.
It just depends on the specifics of the services offered...yes business travelers like convenience and saving time, but just as importantly in many cases, they need flexibility and good backup options.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: Independent
There are a lot more people who fly than just upper management level business people. Yes that is a lucrative market, but it is also one that everyone competes for. Why not target the other flyers that the other airlines don't care about or target? They may not have as much potential revenue, but then you aren't competing as hard for them and they will end up costing you less to woo.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cloudship
There are a lot more people who fly than just upper management level business people. Yes that is a lucrative market, but it is also one that everyone competes for. Why not target the other flyers that the other airlines don't care about or target? They may not have as much potential revenue, but then you aren't competing as hard for them and they will end up costing you less to woo.
Those customers are low margins with higher levels of complaints since inexperienced travelers often have unrealistic expectations.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Interesting idea; I hadn’t heard of them, so thanks for sharing. I’m not sure why the OP here seems to be such a cheerleader for Moxy (isn’t that also a Marriott hotel brand?), but we do need more competition here in the wake of the industry consolidation. The focus on smaller secondary airports with lower fees makes it sound like America’s version of Ryanair. We’ll see how it works out.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:44 am

WestPac tried to use COS as a hub decades ago. We have the runways to handle any aircraft, but that doesn't mean an airline can make it profitable. We waisted money adding a terminal for them that was never used. I don't hold my breath for anything in aviation, as it's simply a waste of time.
BearX220 and 84fiero like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by strickerj
Interesting idea; I hadn’t heard of them, so thanks for sharing. I’m not sure why the OP here seems to be such a cheerleader for Moxy (isn’t that also a Marriott hotel brand?), but we do need more competition here in the wake of the industry consolidation. The focus on smaller secondary airports with lower fees makes it sound like America’s version of Ryanair. We’ll see how it works out.
"Moxy" is just a working title for the airline - the actual name will be something else.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Speaking of smaller city pairs, McClellan-Palomar Airport up in Carlsbad, CA has occasionally had passenger service, originally with United Express (EMB120 turboprops) and more recently California Pacific Airlnes (E135/145s). The latter airline only flew for a few months before folding, in fact. This despite there being enough population in the surrounding area that flights from there could theoretically capture a lot of passengers who would otherwise have flown out of SNA or SAN.

Anyway, the point is that it's going to take more than a supposed desire to "avoid big airports" for Moxy or some other similar competitor to succeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.