Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do we have Stupid Amenity Kits???

Why do we have Stupid Amenity Kits???

Old May 26, 2019, 9:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Boogie711

"I like the socks, but I'd prefer slippers." ....
  • Slippers, instead of socks. Remember - the primary hazard on your flight here is a wet bathroom floor. Hint: That's not water from the sink.
Alternative, you could fly a carrier who aren't attempting to be Ryanair with J, such as JL, NH or QR, that provide both socks and slippers in their premium cabins.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I rarely use the items in the amenity kit on the actual flight - I’ve usually provisioned myself with items that I actually need/use and don’t want to rely on an amenity kit to have what I want.

That said, many of the items are cobbled together from prior trips’ amenity kits. I have certain styles of eyeshades I prefer over others. Same for ear plugs.

However, I prefer the bags that are actually small bags that can often be refused for cables/chargers/small loose items/etc. I don’t really like the ones that are like envelopes.

Doesn’t Singapore just have the meaningful items in the lavs instead of giving everyone an amenity kit in business class?
Mendobrew and nancypants like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
A number of years ago when i was flying long haul a couple of times a month, I built up a huge number of these kits. Always took them home, often unopened. When moving house, I tried selling them online. Boy were they a hit! Was getting NZD20 a pop. Got rid of about 50 of them. Excellent.

In terms of what I value in the kits - actually almost everything depending on the flight.

Eyemask - I have a great eye Manta eye mask of my own, but sometimes I forget it, so yes, glad to have one included.
Socks - often wear them. They keep my feet warm (I usually board in sandals and flights can be very cold).
Lip balm - probably the single item i use the most. lips get very dry on flights.
Hand creme - second most used item - again skin gets very dry on flights.
Toothbrush/paste - use when I remember. Means I can check my toiletry kit if checking luggage and avoid all the hassle at security.
Pen - wish more kits had these
Resuse of case - often. Make good cases for computer cables!
nancypants likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Its probably only because it was going off topic.

Now, if amenity kits would include hand (and foot) sanitizer...
Old May 28, 2019, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Probably the foot phobia lobbyists. A uniquely western thing.
I love feet. My record is 3 x 1 hour foot massages a day. I wish I was dating a foot fetish person. It would be heaven!

Oh, I don't mind Amenity kits when it has samples of things such as Clarins. I sometimes feel people who hand out amenity kits to friends or welfare organisations are saying "ooh, look at me, I fly first class".
nancypants likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
I find the whole concept of amenity kits strange. I kind of get it that some people want to have a souvenir from a flight if it's a special occasion...

...but how about fridge magnets? Could have a debate on which airlines hand out the nicest fridge magnets - and what people do with them.
Annalisa12 and nancypants like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by nanyang
I find the whole concept of amenity kits strange. I kind of get it that some people want to have a souvenir from a flight if it's a special occasion...

...but how about fridge magnets? Could have a debate on which airlines hand out the nicest fridge magnets - and what people do with them.
It's good advertising for the company whose product it contains. One would assume that the people getting the amenity kits can afford to purchase their brand if they like the sample.

I don't get collecting them a couple of times a fortnight if you fly that much.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best items I get in amenity kits are the lip balm and a facial mist / spritz. I would love it if they made the amenity bag a strong see through plastic that was compliant with 3-1-1 regulations, rather than the flimsy ziploc baggies I normally use. That would be useful. That said, my favourite bag is a BA Anya Hindmarch vintage photo washbag (that a FTer gifted to me!) I love it, and still use it.

I have never in my life used the shoehorn from an amenity bag (although they seem to have stopped doing those as much). I did get a couple of foot sprays, I think it might have been an Air Canada thing a few years back? It was minty.

Socks I would only use if my feet were cold while in my seat - I bring my own (disposable) slippers for walking around in. I did end up with a bazillion pairs of BA socks in the mid 90s, I used to use them as welly liners!

I wouldn't mind seeing the addition of a single use face mask (I bring my own for long haul), an emery board, a mini hair brush, a hair tie (whilst I have those two always, they seem to be buried in my bag in the overhead when I actually want them), and a little sleep spray for your pillow (lavender or similar).
Old May 28, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I never use the socks, but a small mouthwash or deodorant would definitely get used. (I recall getting some "sorry your luggage is delayed" kits that had deodorant in them.)
Old May 28, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by emma69
I have never in my life used the shoehorn from an amenity bag (although they seem to have stopped doing those as much).
Must be a guy thing? I actually keep a small shoehorn in my onboard kit - can't rely on the amenity kit to have one and I always use it to put my shoes on. As slippers seem to be more uncommon these days, I need to keep putting my shoes back on to head to the lav
Old May 29, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: too many
On that one, I'm definitely a hoarder (or used to be now since I don't fly anymore:
Anything that me or my wife use at home is taken out of the kit and stockpiled in the dedicated bag:
->toothbrushes are usually OK, and mini toothpaste is reused when traveling
->earplugs: used by my wife since I appear to be snoring
->eye masks: the good ones are kept, the not so good donated
->socks: either re-used or turned into protective archery gear
->cream, etc,... used by the other half
->PJs kept for personal use or when friends and family visit
->Box/case/sleeve kept for storage, laptop charger boxes, etc

One of my pet peeves is seeing all those half-opened kits at the end of the flight, so whenever deplaning last I collect what I can, throw away anything that looks remotely tampered with and donate the unopened items
Old May 29, 2019, 2:28 pm

I give away the little amenity kits to friends and family who don't get to fly First often or ever. They love them. I'm so glad United got rid of those STUPID metal canisters and cans. I didn't even bother taking those, at least the little zipper bags from Saks Fifth can be reused for travel.

Last edited by DutchessPDX; May 30, 2019 at 9:52 am
Old May 29, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I often use most of the items in the amenity kits.
I find most of the contents quite useful and handy.

If I on occasion don't use a kit, or some of its contents, I give them to friends and family who appreciate them.

You can also donate the kits to certain charities as well.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:23 am

I’m sick and tired of amenity kits that deserve to be thrown away or simply left on the plane.

Dear airline executive: I’m flying in Business Class. I don’t want yet another pair of useless tube socks. I don’t want yet another cheap and ineffective eye mask. I don’t want a tiny fake-leather bag or tin can that’s effectively useless for any other purpose.

The GOOD:
  • Lufthansa used to use re-usable shopping bags to bundle their amenity kits. I still have those bags today. I use them for groceries.
  • The disposable toothbrush. OK - this I get. It’s nice to be able to clean up. But guess what - I have my very own toothbrush with me. Do I need a disposable toothbrush?
  • A small pen - handy when we’re visiting a country that has a landing card to fill out.
  • Mints. Self explanatory.
The BAD:
  • Useless eye masks. Admit it - we all have about a dozen of these things. They don’t do a good job of blocking light. They’re cheap enough to be useless but too nice to just get tossed out without feeling guilty.
  • Tube socks. Honestly - why. I have NEVER seen anyone wear the supplied tube socks. Slippers make sense... but why do you keep shoving cheap, useless tube socks at me?
  • Sample sets of hand cream and lip gloss. OK - maybe people like this stuff. Sure. But let’s call it what it is - merchandising, not an ‘amenity.’
  • Tiny, useless bags. Too nice to just toss out, too useless to use for anything else. I have my own freedom baggie already with liquids and toiletries.
What I would like to see:
  • More pens. That’s a nice touch. Cheap, easy to fulfill, everyone can use one.
  • Bags that serve a dual purpose. I don’t need any more tiny, leatherette bags. What would be awesome would be a bag specifically designed to hold electronic cables or chargers. At least that makes sense.
  • Moist towelettes.
  • Hand sanitizer. Wouldn’t this make more sense than hand cream?
  • Thin slippers. Please please please ditch the socks.
What would make the amenity kit make more sense to you?
As someone that doesnt fly J or F, i love amenity kits and sometimes am even known to buy them off ebay. I wish i got one every flight but as i am a lowly Y passenger, im lucky if i get anything.

I wish there was a code as to where people leave them on the plane as i always scan as i walking through business on my long haul flights but i am yet to see one.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:27 am

And what on earth do you repurpose the bags for? I’m honestly asking. I’ve looked at electronics. There are better solutions out there. The ONLY thing I’ve been able to do with the bags is to throw out all the other stuff and use one bag to hold spare toothbrushes for guests, and another bag for earplugs.
Everything.

I have a number of them in my backpack as i compartmentalise everything. So i have one bag that has a chargers, another that holds a portable battery charger, another that has a first aid kit that i have made up with medications i may need and band aids and stuff.. i could go on and on. haha.
Lefly and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.