Search

Atlas Obscura trips

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Atlas Obscura trips

I don't quite know where to post this so I'll start here.

I'm interested in the Trips offered by Atlas Obscura - individual sights are discussed in the past, but I'm not finding anything on their tours.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/unusual-trips

Some of them sound very intriguing and not your usual "50 octogenarians on a bus". But, reviews are scarce, and I do note that the hotels just mostly say "boutique hotel."

I'd love to hear some reports for people who've been on them.

I'm also interested to know whether Atlas Obscura actually runs these themselves or if they're using some generic travel company relabeled Atlas Obscura.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bump. Still looking for any true 411. We’ve got a deposit on a trip, we’re waiting for enough people to sign up and have had no communication for 6 months. The window for cheap fights is passing...

the almost total lack of reviews continues to give me pause. Thinking of bailing.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by milepig
Bump. Still looking for any true 411. We’ve got a deposit on a trip, we’re waiting for enough people to sign up and have had no communication for 6 months. The window for cheap fights is passing...

the almost total lack of reviews continues to give me pause. Thinking of bailing.
That doesn't sound very promising. Sorry, don't have any insight...I've enjoyed their website and have one of their books, but no experience with these trips. Sounds interesting in theory. Hope it works out one way or another for you.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 8:33 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I am on the wait list for their Bulgaria tour, as you said they certainly offer some pretty interesting trips.

I also regularly peruse Atlas Obscura for locations that I will be traveling to even on biz trips in the US. Have had good experiences at the sites visited. Certainly helps you find some gems.

If my wait list spot opens up I will certainly put up the money and go, as touring Bulgaria is not something I think tons of people are excited to do, but I certainly would like to go from Sofia to Varana and if I flew or took the sleeper train I know I would be missing a lot in between. That trip would fill in the gaps nicely.

Some of their other trips look interesting as well.

I hope someone on FT has more to share.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I am on the wait list for their Bulgaria tour, as you said they certainly offer some pretty interesting trips.

I also regularly peruse Atlas Obscura for locations that I will be traveling to even on biz trips in the US. Have had good experiences at the sites visited. Certainly helps you find some gems.

If my wait list spot opens up I will certainly put up the money and go, as touring Bulgaria is not something I think tons of people are excited to do, but I certainly would like to go from Sofia to Varana and if I flew or took the sleeper train I know I would be missing a lot in between. That trip would fill in the gaps nicely.

Some of their other trips look interesting as well.

I hope someone on FT has more to share.
Thanks. We did bail last night. It was a significant investment, and I continue to be puzzled by the almost total lack of reviews other than a handful on their own site. The lack of communication for months did us in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.