FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Survival Guide for IFE emergencies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1969489-survival-guide-ife-emergencies.html)

MarJon May 13, 2019 7:23 am

Survival Guide for IFE emergencies

After reading too many threads complaining about IFE issues, I though it might be good to create a Survival Guide for IFE emergencies. Besides a book/kindle/magazine and talking to a neighbor, which as some folks have pointed out may be difficult in J, what are some strategies that could be added to the IFE Survival Guide... While semi-serious, this should be along the lines of the thread What's the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about? I should probably figure out how to create a WIKI for this...

Here's a start...
1) Learn to read a foreign language by figuring out the relationship between English and other languages on the safety card.
2) Create a list of things that Doug would love to hear about from you.
3) Print off the last page of thread of the latest 100 threads here and write a new post to be added later since the WIFI isn't working.
4) Spend the trip thinking about thing you should have brought with you in care the IFE is not working.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George May 13, 2019 9:26 am

Simple I always carry an actual book. If no IFE, no power ports then I resort to what people did 20 years ago.

javabytes May 13, 2019 9:31 am

Ask a flight attendant for extra pillows and blankets and build a fort.

DataPlumber May 13, 2019 9:49 am

Netflix has a solid app where you download your own content locally. iOS, PC, etc. The most frequent travelers have found that onboard video ( both fixed and wireless) doesn’t change much or frequently, hence some could care less if it’s even offered.... aside from catching the occasional NHL playoff game via the live TV function.

MarJon May 13, 2019 10:01 am

Originally Posted by DataPlumber (Post 31096536)
Netflix has a solid app where you download your own content locally. iOS, PC, etc. The most frequent travelers have found that onboard video ( both fixed and wireless) doesn’t change much or frequently, hence some could care less if it’s even offered.... aside from catching the occasional NHL playoff game via the live TV function.

Exactly what I did for my flights today!

enpremiere May 13, 2019 10:09 am

• Look for discrepancies between Barclays application forms
  • Memorize OW routes from the magazine and add helpful future route suggestions with a red pen
  • Try to download a 1 MB file on the Panasonic system (this can really help to stretch out your time over the span of a flight)
  • Watch and report on-board snack basket transgressions (for example taking all of one type of item from the snack box or taking all of all types)
  • Soduku (@QueenOfCoach;)
  • Chat with seat opponent (only if they are a member of FlyerTalk; if not, first help them sign up on FlyerTalk and then start your conversation)
  • Rewards/affinity cards poker with seat opponent (i.e. CK card trumps EXP card)

Gig103 May 13, 2019 11:52 am

No matter what happens, there's always the one-man monologue of the lead FA pitching a credit card! It's fun to see how close the skirt the line of outright lying about the value of the points. I feel like if the entire PA system went down the crew would still figure out how to interrupt me with that.

My Kindle is usually charged up well enough I can survive even a 12hr flight, and a few movies are always on my tablet too.

Antarius May 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 31096480)
Ask a flight attendant for extra pillows and blankets and build a fort.

and when an FA comes by
https://media.giphy.com/media/OAtjLhC4tIqf6/giphy.gif

javabytes May 13, 2019 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31097142)

Your image link seems broken. But if my wife came by...

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...295dca1fef.jpg

Antarius May 13, 2019 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 31097162)
Your image link seems broken. But if my wife came by...

Nyuk Nyuk.

Fixed the link above. But for good measure
https://media.giphy.com/media/OAtjLhC4tIqf6/giphy.gif

Grsdo May 13, 2019 12:55 pm

I would start a betting pool with the passengers around you about what kind of response you’ll get from the FA when you complain about said broken IFE.

(data point: successfully got an FA to reboot mine 2 hours into CDG-CLT once they “weren’t busy”)

javabytes May 13, 2019 1:06 pm

This only works at lower altitudes and cities I know, so it’s not really useful for much of the flight, but I enjoy looking out the window and trying to identify streets and buildings I know. Tests my mental mapping abilities.

Dallas49er May 13, 2019 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31096472)
Simple I always carry an actual book. If no IFE, no power ports then I resort to what people did 20 years ago.

Moi aussi! So 19th century, but it worked all the way into the early 2000's, when technology became superior to common sense.

Recently, PVG-DFW. IFE created a smell. reboot, created a smell. Choice- No IFE or go back to PVG. Others whined, *itched, and sniveled.

Or one could just go to sleep. And I did. (No miles, points, or ANY compensation was requested, demanded or involuntarily granted for this crime against humanity )

This Sunday, LAX-CAN. 3 books, 1 ipad, and an ability to fend for myself, a trait so sadly lacking in so many. YMMV.

OBTW-I get the sarcasm of Post #1-I hope you get mine.

JY1024 May 13, 2019 4:25 pm

As this topic is not specific to AA, let’s move this over to TravelBuzz for more general discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, AAdvantage co-moderator

Toshbaf May 13, 2019 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere (Post 31096606)
  • Memorize OW routes from the magazine and add helpful future route suggestions with a red pen

I frequently mark up the maps in the in flight magazine. It's usually to add routes, often long distance routes that are plausible but a little fanciful, never completely wild routes, like Chattanooga to Kigali, Rwanda. More likely, something like Atlanta-Cape Town or JFK-Gothenburg

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 31097291)
This only works at lower altitudes and cities I know, so it’s not really useful for much of the flight, but I enjoy looking out the window and trying to identify streets and buildings I know. Tests my mental mapping abilities.

I like to figure out where we're located by looking out the window. After some studying, I often figure it out. Lake Michigan is an easy landmark. I've also flown over Grand Lake St. Marys, Ohio.