Survival Guide for IFE emergencies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Survival Guide for IFE emergencies

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: DL PM
Even when everything is working fine, there is the passenger who...just...sits. Not reading anything, not listening to anything, not watching any screen. Not sleeping. Just sitting and staring blankly ahead at what is, essentially, nothing. I’m always so curious. Zen master? Solving quadratic equations in the head? Plotting revenge? How long that goes on I can’t say, as I am way too fidgety and easily bored to stick with the task of observing, and reach for the lifeline of my book, e-books, audiobooks, music collection, downloaded podcasts, videos, magazines, and Instapaper articles, plus spades and hearts against the gremlins in my phone if all else fails.
polinka, nk15 and PAX_fips like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by dalehill
Even when everything is working fine, there is the passenger who...just...sits. Not reading anything, not listening to anything, not watching any screen. Not sleeping. Just sitting and staring blankly ahead at what is, essentially, nothing. I’m always so curious. Zen master? Solving quadratic equations in the head? Plotting revenge? How long that goes on I can’t say, as I am way too fidgety and easily bored to stick with the task of observing, and reach for the lifeline of my book, e-books, audiobooks, music collection, downloaded podcasts, videos, magazines, and Instapaper articles, plus spades and hearts against the gremlins in my phone if all else fails.
I've often wondered about those folks as well! Although I can focus for a long time on something, I couldn't do literally nothing for that long...I'd fall asleep after awhile.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Simple I always carry an actual book. If no IFE, no power ports then I resort to what people did 20 years ago.
I always carry up to a dozen books. In the Kindle app on my phone. That and a large battery brick can keep me going up to five days.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I've often wondered about those folks as well! Although I can focus for a long time on something, I couldn't do literally nothing for that long...I'd fall asleep after awhile.
david Putty on Seinfeld did that. Elaine Bennis couldn’t comprehend his ability to sit in his middle seat and simply exist. Super inspiring!
Old May 24, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
imo, first and foremost, "no IFE" =/= "emergency"

I'm with javabytes and Toshbaf ... look out the window, watch the world go by (topography, other aircraft, stars, clouds, distant and not-always-distant lightning, occasionally the Aurora Borealis)
Old May 24, 2019, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This would be more common in coach, I feel, where there is not much comfort or meaningful stimulation. You can't sleep comfortably, can't get very comfortable in general, maybe interrupted by other passengers, everything is cramped, just waiting for the flight to be over. Other situations may be that the person is anxious about flying or something else in their life, maybe queasy or sick, bored, lonely, or depressed, or just thinking about something. Or nothing. Maybe it's an opportunity to relax and think of nothing, just be, with no need to respond to anything. But most likely the person is just bored waiting for the flight to be over, and none of the distraction options seems attractive enough to make the effort to engage in or they are not prepared with any of these options. Or some people may not feel like that they can concentrate or be comfortable enough on a plane to read or watch a movie.

Lastly, the person may be tired but can't sleep or concentrate/interested in doing anything meaningful either, so they are just zoning out staring blankly ahead waiting for the flight to be over...Or they are just comfortable being with themselves and their thoughts...
Old May 24, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Recently, PVG-DFW. IFE created a smell. reboot, created a smell. Choice- No IFE or go back to PVG. Others whined, *itched, and sniveled.
That would worry me a bit, reminiscent of Swissair 111....
Old May 24, 2019, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ask the FA to come and talk to you and keep you company, because there is no IFE, and it's the airline's fault, and they have to take some responsibility for their failures...
Old May 24, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Can't speak for anyone else, but I learned to do this back in the day before electronics. You are stuck in a middle seat, its hot, its uncomfortable, you don't have a book, the window shade is drawn, so what do you do?

I go to my happy place. The same place I go when I am at the dentist getting a root canal.

I daydream.

I do it now when I am flying on a long trip in J and nothing is interesting on the IFE. I just daydream.

Usually its about where I have been, or where I am going, or my last trip, or my encounters with people along the way.

Sometimes its mulling over a specific problem at work or with someone in my life. Or replaying something nice that happened.

Its very relaxing. And with ubiquitous electronic distractions, I think its becoming a rare activity. I try to make time for it when I travel.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Maybe they're just trying to hold it until the fasten seat belts sign goes off and they can use the bathroom.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
The mark of a true introvert is being able to do an entire 13+ hour trans-pac flight either without switching on the IFE or leaving it on "Flight Plan" the whole time.

I still bring mostly dead-tree reading product, but only stuff I can jettison while on the trip. I have a way of using up the entire allowance on the return.
stc likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
You have never learned the art of day-dreaming? You don't need books or video, you just create stories in your head in full colour with sound and live in them. No external stimulation required. Hours of entertainment.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fairhsa
You have never learned the art of day-dreaming? You don't need books or video, you just create stories in your head in full colour with sound and live in them. No external stimulation required. Hours of entertainment.
Good point, but I save my daydreaming for the office.
lhrsfo and nk15 like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it depends if you fly J or Y on long haul flights. If I fly J TPAC I find that the flights are too short and I didn't have enough time to get all the sleep, work, food, or movies I wanted, and wish the flight was longer, lol. If I am in Y, it is torture all the way, lol...
Old May 30, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
No IFE?
Scotch and doze off. That's what I do without IFE.

or rather, that's my IFE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.