Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Survival Guide for IFE emergencies

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I sat next to someone last month on a flight from LHR to LAX (11 hours) who simply stared into space the whole time - no book, no IFE, no earbuds, just wolfing the airline food and staring. It was very weird.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Can't speak for anyone else, but I learned to do this back in the day before electronics. You are stuck in a middle seat, its hot, its uncomfortable, you don't have a book, the window shade is drawn, so what do you do?

I go to my happy place. The same place I go when I am at the dentist getting a root canal.

I daydream.

I do it now when I am flying on a long trip in J and nothing is interesting on the IFE. I just daydream.

Usually its about where I have been, or where I am going, or my last trip, or my encounters with people along the way.

Sometimes its mulling over a specific problem at work or with someone in my life. Or replaying something nice that happened.

Its very relaxing. And with ubiquitous electronic distractions, I think its becoming a rare activity. I try to make time for it when I travel.
The art of being bored without actually being bored.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I sat next to someone last month on a flight from LHR to LAX (11 hours) who simply stared into space the whole time - no book, no IFE, no earbuds, just wolfing the airline food and staring. It was very weird.
Did you learn anything from the Zen master? Did you ask about the meaning of life? Or were you scared the whole time about what might happen next?
Old May 31, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by nk15
Did you learn anything from the Zen master? Did you ask about the meaning of life? Or were you scared the whole time about what might happen next?
Maybe they were sleeping with eyes open.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by fairhsa
You have never learned the art of day-dreaming? You don't need books or video, you just create stories in your head in full colour with sound and live in them. No external stimulation required. Hours of entertainment.
Everybody daydreams. It’s not an art that needs to be learned. By the time I’ve made my way from my house to my seat, I’ve had plenty of time to daydream. There really isn’t much else to do during all the waiting involved in getting from A to B. By the time I sit down in my seat, I’m ready to listen to voices that aren’t living in my head. Maybe I’m just not that into me. Or maybe it’s my age — studies show that people daydream less as they get older.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.