Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which is the longest nonstop flight?

Which is the longest nonstop flight?

Old May 14, 19, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by georgina80 View Post
I've done LAX-MEL and JED-LAX and both were 16+ hours, yet they don't even make the list. I don't know how people in Y get through these 18+ hour marathons of a flight.
18hrs no worse than 10. I put together a "comforwiki" on long haul economy in this forum - plenty of crowdsourced tips!
Old May 14, 19, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
I've done a few 15-16 hour flights - various U.S. cities to HKG and PVG. Never done nonstop all the way to SIN.

Once you do a few of these you start thinking of East Coast to Europe as short-haul.
Old May 15, 19, 5:16 am

In February 2018 I was on UA37, LAX-SIN. In distance it would be a ways down the list. However, it is not a polar flight, so it flies pretty much west, which I guess subjects it to headwinds. The flight time would be a bit closer to the top. I used a stopwatch to time the length of the flight from leaving the tarmac in LAX to touching down in SIN. It was 17h 34m, off the ground.

United flew it with a B787-9. I was in regular economy, and it was not a problem at all. I am tall, but I had an aisle seat so I could stretch a bit.
Old May 16, 19, 12:14 am

Programs: United, Hilton
Originally Posted by g289t View Post
United flew it with a B787-9. I was in regular economy, and it was not a problem at all. I am tall, but I had an aisle seat so I could stretch a bit.
That's 9-abreast, right? I fly that from West Coast US to TYO, and I find the seat width to be torture on a 10-hr flight. 17+ hours? I just can't imagine. The squeeze on the shoulders is worse than 10-abreast 777.
Old May 16, 19, 7:08 am
mhy

Programs: JL
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
That's 9-abreast, right? I fly that from West Coast US to TYO, and I find the seat width to be torture on a 10-hr flight. 17+ hours? I just can't imagine. The squeeze on the shoulders is worse than 10-abreast 777.
I was in UA's 10 abreast 777-300ER last year from NRT-EWR, not having known they had replaced their 9-abreast 772s on that route. Never again. Being a male with relatively broad shoulders the seat width was pure torture even in an exit row - can imagine it being even worse on a 787. I've switched my business to JAL.
Old May 16, 19, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there honestly a need to start new threads on this topic every year?
Old May 16, 19, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akl_traveller View Post
18hrs no worse than 10. I put together a "comforwiki" on long haul economy in this forum - plenty of crowdsourced tips!
It is. 9/10 hours is one proper meal, one snack, and 3-4 movies. 17/18 hours (longest one I have done was Dallas to Brisbane which, at the time, was the longest flight) you start to get cabin fever. I can't watch more than 3 or 4 movies at a stretch, my eyes get very dry and tired. I cannot sleep at all in economy (which I was in on this particular flight) and not much / well even on lie flat beds. I would far far rather take 2 slightly longer flights, than one continuous one. I can get off, walk around, grab a shower, just the change of scenery. Ideally an overnight layover, but that isn't always practical. Even 3-4 hours is enough to feel refreshed.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 16, 19, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Yes it is 9 across, 3-3-3. I had an aisle seat on the left side of the plane. It wasn't bad at all! I am fairly tall at 6'1" (185cm), but also relatively slim. But I am also low maintenance, and I can sleep anywhere, anytime, in any position.
Old May 16, 19, 7:09 pm

Programs: United, Hilton
Originally Posted by g289t View Post
Yes it is 9 across, 3-3-3. I had an aisle seat on the left side of the plane. It wasn't bad at all! I am fairly tall at 6'1" (185cm), but also relatively slim. But I am also low maintenance, and I can sleep anywhere, anytime, in any position.
You must be really low-maintenance. There are no good seats on 9-abreast 787. If you're in aisle, you give the middle person the armrest as you should. But because the seats are narrow to begin with and the armrest is tiny, it's tough for the middle person to not encroach a bit into your space. So then you the aisle person ends up leaning towards the aisle to avoid rubbing arm/shoulder with the middle guy, but then people/things keep bumping into you on the aisle side because the aisle is so freakin' narrow. My tolerance on 787 is just about 10-11hrs tops.
Old May 17, 19, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by emma69 View Post
It is. 9/10 hours is one proper meal, one snack, and 3-4 movies. 17/18 hours (longest one I have done was Dallas to Brisbane which, at the time, was the longest flight) you start to get cabin fever. I can't watch more than 3 or 4 movies at a stretch, my eyes get very dry and tired. I cannot sleep at all in economy (which I was in on this particular flight) and not much / well even on lie flat beds. I would far far rather take 2 slightly longer flights, than one continuous one. I can get off, walk around, grab a shower, just the change of scenery. Ideally an overnight layover, but that isn't always practical. Even 3-4 hours is enough to feel refreshed.
From NZ, everything is pretty much either 3.5 hours (across the Tasman), 11 or so hours (Singapore etc), or 17 (direct to Dubai etc). When they first brought in the long range flights direct to DXB and DOH it was a revelation. No pissing around in Melbourne and then getting back on the same EK 380.

Give me AKL-LHR direct!!
Old May 17, 19, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Once you do a few of these you start thinking of East Coast to Europe as short-haul.
This!

One "benefit" of my past (almost 10 years ago) monthly trips to Asia / Australia is that leisure trips to Europe seem short, even now.