Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Calculating the benefits of carry-on only

Calculating the benefits of carry-on only

Old May 7, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
OP, you're both overthinking and underthinking the issue. Overthinking, because trying to write out linear algebra equations to solve for whether or not to check luggage borders on the absurd. Yet simultaneously underthinking the issue, because if-- as a fun thought experiment (for certain values of "fun")-- one were to model the situation mathematically the model would need to include significantly more nontrivial factors.

Making it tougher yet is that time is only one of several dimensions that must be considered. Some variables are expressed in currency cost, some in physical effort, some in hassle or aggravation factor, some in loss of functional capability, some in impaired style, some in loss of alternatives in case of plans being scrambled, etc. Many of these dimensions are subjective and difficult to equate to one another. Attempting to craft a definitive mathematical model is a fool's errand.
84fiero and boerne like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Badenoch
In the study perhaps the OP can take into account time spent running around to find dry cleaners, clothing stores, toiletry vendors, etc. compared to the time waiting at the baggage carousel for the things you knew you would need and already own. Those few minutes would seem to be far less than engaging in a scavenger hunt in a faraway land or needing to know what you can buy at an аптека and wondering whether you can make yourself understood in Bulgarian.
You know me very well! Yes, currently trying to guesstimate times for what I am calling "Sundry purchases" at the current time - purchasing all the things you don't carry with you

TBH right now the numbers are coming in strong for the checked luggage simply because (currently) the only cost of the checked luggage is the additional time at the airport, which I'm currently calculating at 60 minutes on arrival waiting for luggage (which may be excessive anyway). Assuming equal check-in times for international flights (2 hours regardless of checked/non checked) so no time saving there.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
I've never found myself needing to replenish toiletries while traveling unless I've forgotten something (which is orthogonal to the choice of HBO or checking a bag).

By using a few alternative items in my toiletry kit I'm able to easily stay under 3-1-1 while still having enough to last me weeks. Shave oil instead of shaving cream, tooth powder instead of tooth paste, bar soap instead of body wash, a sunscreen stick instead of sunscreen lotion, etc. In many cases I've found I prefer these items anyways and wind up using them full-time at home.

15ml of shave oil will get you almost 100 shaves. I find a full bar of Dr. Bronner's soap lasts me about six weeks.

As for first-aid, I'm able to fit the following into a packing cube that measures 7.5in x 4.5 x 2.5: acetaminophen, ibuprofen, thermometer, picaridin wipes, bandages, tegaderm film, medical tape, safety pins, pepto-bismal tablets, tums, alka seltzer, Imodium, neosporin cream, hydrocortisone cream, benadryl, zyrtec, alcohol wipes, antiseptic wipes, N95 mask, Q-tips, throat lozenges, nitrile gloves, salt and Emergen-C. Barley larger than a thick paperback. I also have tweezers in my toiletry kit and always pack a wad of lambswool for blister prevention, which squeezes down to almost nothing.

REI sells individual packets of the above medicines.

Would this first-aid kit suffice for travel far away from civilization? No. But that's not the purpose.
Could you weigh your kit for me? Would love to include this in my assumptions!
Old May 8, 2019, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by txflyer77
How long does it really take to order some stuff off Amazon?
As amazing as it may seem, Amazon does not yet deliver to every country, especially not overnight.

Most of the carry-on only folks ignore what happens when there is some quirk that makes it very difficult to replenish or replace while away from home. For example, I wear petite length clothing. While it may be available off the rack in some countries, in others it is not and garments have to be hemmed before I can wear them. I'd rather pack an extra pair of slacks so that after the first pair gets ice cream dropped on them (it's happened) I don't have to either to find a quick service laundry or go shopping in a language I'm not good at.

There's also food allergies. The majority of trips I take with my usual traveling companion at least one of our carry-ons is full of food and medication that can not be obtained at our destination. Be grateful if your life is free of the complication of severe food allergies.

So, OP, when I look at the carry-on vs. checked equation for a trip longer than 72 hours, my headache is the choice between of doing without adequate food/medications or leaving behind the back-up clothing items or checking a bag and avoiding a lot of stress. Those very few minutes saved by not checking the bag I've regained many times over in the course of week or more of travel, and I don't have to engage in mortal combat in Bin Wars.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Shoes are the determining factor. If you carry a spare pair of shoes, you cannot carry too much, just a few days. If you carry 2 pairs of shoes, the trip cannot be longer than about 2 days but 2 day trips don't require 3 pairs of shoes.
Sez who?

On one recent 2 day trip, I went to the beach (flip-flops), casual luncheon (leather sandals), formal evening event (high healed sandals) and bicycling (sneakers). No business events that trip, so I didn't need the medium heeled dress shoes which have been included in packing for other 2 day trips.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Buying underwear on the go? You still need to wash them. Really... you do.
I bought 30 pairs of $2 cotton undies for a long trip. I just threw them away when worn. No washing needed!!!
boerne likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I bought 30 pairs of $2 cotton undies for a long trip. I just threw them away when worn. No washing needed!!!
The washing is before wearing. Something like 20 people would have handled them before you bought them (estimate according to someone I knew a lifetime ago who worked in merchandise), plus any chemical residue from manufacturing. I wash before wearing. Some people don't care. I do.

Last edited by DragonSoul; May 8, 2019 at 4:31 am
Old May 8, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
In the study perhaps the OP can take into account time spent running around to find dry cleaners, clothing stores, toiletry vendors, etc. compared to the time waiting at the baggage carousel for the things you knew you would need and already own. Those few minutes would seem to be far less than engaging in a scavenger hunt in a faraway land or needing to know what you can buy at an аптека and wondering whether you can make yourself understood in Bulgarian.
Well the good thing is that since I travel overseas to work in pretty much the same cities year round... already have had in place all the extras I would need.
At least for BOM, dedicated taxi driver.. knows all my client meeting places, dry cleaners (just give it to him, he takes care of it ) etc.. well you get the general idea
Old May 8, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Sez who?
the multivariate mathematical expression
Old May 8, 2019, 10:35 am

For some reason this thread reminds me of an old joke. The joke itself could be updated slightly & be completely relevant to this thread:

A cop comes across a little old lady who is standing on a street corner yelling her head off.
"Help! Help! I've been robbed!!!!
"What happened?" asks the cop.
"A man ran up to me, pushed me down, took my purse and ran away"
"Can you describe the man?"
"No, I can't. It happened so fast!"
"Height? Weight?
"I'm sorry, no. There just wasn't time"
"Race? Anything?
"It was over in just a few seconds - he just pushed me down and he was gone."
"That's not much to go on, Ma'am. Is there anything you can tell me about the man who robbed you?"
"Well, yes - he was a vegan and an atheist, he does crossfit, and never checks a bag"
"Umm, that's some really specific information. How could you learn so much about him in that brief encounter?"
"He told me."
Old May 8, 2019, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by deniah
the multivariate mathematical expression
No credit unless you show your work.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I don't check luggage when I can help it.
But sometimes I do purchase additional clothing at my destination. And then when I'm done, I just leave it in my hotel room when I check out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old May 9, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
So much analysis that I've never done! I don't check. Ever. Even my last long trip of 21 days & 4 countries, I didn't need to check luggage. I am very minimalist when it comes to packing, and in a 21 day trip I need 2 nights in the same hotel with full service laundry every 7 days. Most of my trips are 5 days and I can comfortably carry on a Tumi Alpha, which fits even on the EMB-175.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The single biggest advantage of carry-on vs. checking seems to be something that I don't notice being mentioned in this thread: that way, your bags don't go to Beijing when you are going to Rome, and yes, that has happened to me.
This. I've had my checked bags lost, soiled, and damaged many times. I've had work colleagues who had things stolen from their checked luggage. Now I carry on all my luggage on 90% of my trips.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
This. I've had my checked bags lost, soiled, and damaged many times. I've had work colleagues who had things stolen from their checked luggage. Now I carry on all my luggage on 90% of my trips.
I look on that as an opportunity to gain a new wardrobe at the airline's or insurance company's expense - glass half full type.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.