Calculating the benefits of carry-on only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calculating the benefits of carry-on only

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by akl_traveller
Now, you are correct that not all activities are better than waiting for luggage, but our assumption is that enough are.
I think you're missing the point. You do something else at the same time as waiting for luggage, like making calls or answering emails, that the HBO guy us going to have to make time for later.

Neither have any more time for walking around a museum in London etc. as the better time management of the checked baggage guy has made up for the road runner approach of Mr. HBO.
moondog likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Always carry-on only. No worries about lost bags, no waiting for bags to come out after a long flight.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:39 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi guys
Current assumptions:
Carry-on limit 7000g....
That's a valid assumption if you only fly low-cost carriers (LCCs). On the rest, the limitation on the carry-on bag is its size, not its weight, and the size limit is generally set at the size of a typical 22" rollaboard.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
That's a valid assumption if you only fly low-cost carriers (LCCs). On the rest, the limitation on the carry-on bag is its size, not its weight, and the size limit is generally set at the size of a typical 22" rollaboard.
NZ and QR and EK are LCC?
Because all three of them weigh and tag... and in fact I saw NZ literally turning down a 7.2kg bag (not mine, admittedly)

All international flights. NZ don't weigh on domestic (from my experience)
Old May 18, 2019, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
I think you're missing the point. You do something else at the same time as waiting for luggage, like making calls or answering emails, that the HBO guy us going to have to make time for later.

Neither have any more time for walking around a museum in London etc. as the better time management of the checked baggage guy has made up for the road runner approach of Mr. HBO.
I'll make sure next time I meet anybody doing a CBA for a traffic enhancement project or similar to tell them that people can just do something else while they're stuck in traffic, like making calls or answering emails, so it's pointless coming up with ways to save them time.

If we apply the logic in your post consistently, then it wouldn't matter if we were waiting infinite hours for luggage.
Old May 18, 2019, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'll make sure next time I meet anybody doing a CBA for a traffic enhancement project or similar to tell them that people can just do something else while they're stuck in traffic, like making calls or answering emails, so it's pointless coming up with ways to save them time.

If we apply the logic in your post consistently, then it wouldn't matter if we were waiting infinite hours for luggage.
Spending 10 minutes on email while waiting for your bag is no different than doing the same at a Starbucks.

When you started this thread, you posed the issue as a question, giving me the impression that you were genuinely interested in feedback. However, it's increasingly apparent that you have strong views, which you were hoping the forum would validate.

​​​​​​
Old May 19, 2019, 2:23 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
If passengers checked in more baggage rather than taking so much on as carry-on (and I've seen many people carrying-on ridiculously large and multiple bags) then would not the boarding process (at the gate and in the aircraft) be faster and more efficient? This then would off-set the time people wait at the baggage reclaim (where they are just using their phones anyway) and reduce everyone's stress (passengers and cabin crew) about being the first ones onboard to get plenty of locker space above their seat. Just take onboard what is needed for the flight and any small important items (e.g. laptop). I'm sure it used to be that way.
moondog likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Regardless of what conclusion the OP's mathematics conclude it is unlikely to change anyone's conduct. It's just a matter of picking your poison.

Before the flight you stand in a line, hand your bag over wondering if you will ever see it again, fret whether some heavily-muscled lunkhead won't put it on the wrong plane. Upon arrival you endure those tortuous moments at the carousel fighting the sinking feeling your bad won't appear only to be rewarded by the sheer, unmitigated delight when it pops up on the conveyor apparently unharmed. You rush to retrieved your stuff before someone else mistakes your bag for theirs. Whew....everything is as it should be and you have all of the clothes and accessories you need and want for your trip.

Or you can walk to the gate fretting whether some hawk-eyed gate agent with a tape measure and a scale won't force the ignominy of a gate check upon you. You hover around the gate, eyeing everyone else's carry on and face the dread of not finding sufficient over head space and be rewarded by the sheer, unmitigated delight of an empty bin over your seat. You keep a sharp lookout for anyone who might attempt to move your carry-on. Whew....you can now smugly stride by the baggage carousel hoping you can easily find a place to buy toiletries, a laundry and that no one gives you a gift of any size that you might have to take home.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:10 pm

Start a thread on it and discuss it. This one is about hand baggage v checked baggage.

Incorrect. Even the best at time management will have a limit, but waiting on baggage is not likely to exceed it.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Regardless of what conclusion the OP's mathematics conclude it is unlikely to change anyone's conduct. It's just a matter of picking your poison.

Before the flight you stand in a line, hand your bag over wondering if you will ever see it again, fret whether some heavily-muscled lunkhead won't put it on the wrong plane. Upon arrival you endure those tortuous moments at the carousel fighting the sinking feeling your bad won't appear only to be rewarded by the sheer, unmitigated delight when it pops up on the conveyor apparently unharmed. You rush to retrieved your stuff before someone else mistakes your bag for theirs. Whew....everything is as it should be and you have all of the clothes and accessories you need and want for your trip.

Or you can walk to the gate fretting whether some hawk-eyed gate agent with a tape measure and a scale won't force the ignominy of a gate check upon you. You hover around the gate, eyeing everyone else's carry on and face the dread of not finding sufficient over head space and be rewarded by the sheer, unmitigated delight of an empty bin over your seat. You keep a sharp lookout for anyone who might attempt to move your carry-on. Whew....you can now smugly stride by the baggage carousel hoping you can easily find a place to buy toiletries, a laundry and that no one gives you a gift of any size that you might have to take home.
I do both, roll aboard carry-on for the outbound leg so I'm sure I'll have everything I need for my trip. On the way home I open the expansion zip to make room for all the swag/gifts/purchases I accumulated and check the bag.

I will also go ultra minimalist and just carry a Chrome Industries Hightower backpack for anything under 4 nights or under.
FlyingCow likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I can't recall ever losing a bag, though perhaps I might have had a bag that traveled on a different flight than me when I was a kid, but I always pack with this possibility in mind. Basically, I wear the clothes I need for afternoon meetings on my arrival date, and pack the rest, including a pair of sneakers. I carry on my laptop bag; in addition to the laptop, I include a small notebook, destination specific plastic (e.g. Octopus card), a travel adapter, USB A-C cables, and spare socks/underwear on occasion.

Since the total value of my checked bag, including contents of course, is rarely greater than $500, I know that I can replace everything at a mall in short order (unlike my ex, I am an extremely fast shopper), if needed.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by moondog
I can't recall ever losing a bag, though perhaps I might have had a bag that traveled on a different flight than me when I was a kid, but I always pack with this possibility in mind. Basically, I wear the clothes I need for afternoon meetings on my arrival date, and pack the rest, including a pair of sneakers. I carry on my laptop bag; in addition to the laptop, I include a small notebook, destination specific plastic (e.g. Octopus card), a travel adapter, USB A-C cables, and spare socks/underwear on occasion.
It's a good precaution if you are checking. I do the same with a B&R Cabin Bag 231X which has space for a computer, cables and a separate compartment for clothing. It also doubles on the ground as a laptop bag and provided it's not stuffed too full is close enough to personal item dimensions to pass so can be used when I'm travelling carry-on only. For the record, I've never had a bag lost permanently but have had them delayed a few times.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
To me the biggest benefit of carrying on is I can use my suitcase to hold my backpack or laptop bag, instead of having it on my shoulder(s) in the airport and walking around.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:10 pm

Only if.

I generally carry on everything, but can't always, like say a three week Hawaii vacation with the wife.

It has nothing to do with feeling 'superior' or 'smug' or fear of lost bag, although United did lose our luggage before our honeymoon cruise, but managed to deliver just in time. To reduce lost or misrouted luggage, I try to go direct whenever possible if I have to check.

But rather for me it is more about the thievery by the baggage handlers and/or TSA, the refusal to take any responsibility and the refusal to pay actual replacement cost, including my time to do so.

Certain places are worse, coming back from Hawaii to mainland US is almost a guaranteed bag pilfering - even if they don't take anything, set your bag up so it is obvious someone has been rooting around in it..no TSA note, but strangely your stuff is rearranging in away that shifting can't account for..extreme example..all your clothes nicely folded, open bag up it all is just jammed in there crumpled - however most incursions are much more subtle. I understand the need for security inspections, I find people rooting around my bag 'shopping' intolerable.

Around the holidays they Christmas shop out of your bag..

EVEN if you hand carry all your valuables, they will steal low value items, hats, shirts cheap trinkets, etc. I tend to keep a manifest for my checked bags so I am certain if something goes missing, and so I can keep my own statistics.

If they stop employing gangs of thieves, or decide to compensate for actual loss, I would be more than happy to check my bags more often.

Many of the incursions are subtle and performed by skilled hands, probably with years of experience violating the privacy and personal property they are entrusted with. I would bet most people don't even recognize that thier bag has been searched or even missing a few things here and there.

Last edited by Nhilar; May 20, 2019 at 5:03 pm Reason: Spelling
Old May 20, 2019, 8:03 pm

Before the flight you stand in a line, hand your bag over wondering if you will ever see it again, fret whether some heavily-muscled lunkhead won't put it on the wrong plane. Upon arrival you endure those tortuous moments at the carousel fighting the sinking feeling your bad won't appear only to be rewarded by the sheer, unmitigated delight when it pops up on the conveyor apparently unharmed.
Oh how I dislike that sinking feeling. I go carry-on outbound and if needed, check on return. The checked item usually contains worn clothing and other things I won't be upset with parting with for a few days or getting tossed about. I also like being able to get going after I land and have those 10 minutes of decompression in a quiet hotel room.

Airports are just part of the luggage size equation. What about between the airport and hotel or between hotels? Public transit options, pedestrian only (non wheelchair accessible) overpasses/buildings, and small (if any) bag storage options all come into play. Or if you travel with someone who likes to check but you help transport it (traveling with friends with kids, elderly parents, or chivalry). Or if you stay at places where the entire room is as big as some North American bathrooms - just where do you think that open check-in spinner is going to fit?

Bag Tetris bragging rights are a thing... I'm not smug about having to do laundry (might in fact be overly annoying about this as sometimes my arrival routine is "find the washer and conquer it" vs decompress), hoarding travel sized bottles, or the dead lift luggage above my head which might involve standing on a (not-my-aisle) seat in my socks (I'm short and not all Y seats have the short person step). But there have been a few moments of bag packing victory which results in a text to a friend who will understand. Or failure and commiseration. There's also been utter dismay that said packing victory will need additional visual screening by the TSA. Then again, at least I get everything back in. If I had to rely on the TSA inspector to re-pack my bags, I think they'd just throw some stuff out to get it to close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.