Originally Posted by LondonElite
Have we concluded that time is money?
I believe so, yes.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chunk11
I believe so, yes.
I thought as much. Sometimes math is fun but other times the answer just stares you in the face!
Old May 15, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Badenoch
On an international flight much of that 60 minutes will be taken up by customs and immigration policy. I'd also question a 60 minutes average wait time from the moment of arriving at the carousel. I can't recall the last time I waited an hour unless there was a problem like a labor disruption or equipment malfunction. I can however recall many times finding my bag had arrived in the pick-up area before I got there.
I don't agree with you. The fastest I can get out of the airside after an international flight as a foreign citizen is "10 minutes after landing", on an evening SVO-HEL flight. It was a weekend trip therefore I was going carry-on only.

And It is so hard to pack carry-on only as a pair of hiking shoes and a dry bag has already occupied much of the weight limit. I took Finnair last time and it allows 8 kg and it was so damn difficult to remove stuff until it came below 8 kg, and I needed to do laundry even for a 1-week trip. Luckily my favourite airline Aeroflot allows 10 kg carry-on.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
That principle is greatly over-applied. It's only true if you would otherwise be using that time in an activity that would contribute to earning money (or a savings/cost avoidance) instead of waiting on bags, or whatever it is. If my only plans after arrival are to swim in the hotel pool, then an extra 10 minutes spent waiting at the bag carousel will just mean that I spend 10 minutes less time at the pool. So I guess in that case time is water?!
Old May 15, 2019, 6:57 pm

In Canada, the CBSA seems to be horrendously slow in processing checked baggage on flights from certain "less developed" countries. TK from IST and CM from PTY were all 1 hour or so waits even with priority tags. By contrast, priority tags with a BR flight from TPE might get you gone in as little as 20 minutes after exiting the aircraft.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:44 pm

It only costs you something if used poorly. Seems to be the way for some though, even for the minimal amounts of time in this discussion.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
That principle is greatly over-applied. It's only true if you would otherwise be using that time in an activity that would contribute to earning money (or a savings/cost avoidance) instead of waiting on bags, or whatever it is. If my only plans after arrival are to swim in the hotel pool, then an extra 10 minutes spent waiting at the bag carousel will just mean that I spend 10 minutes less time at the pool. So I guess in that case time is water?!
While somewhat correct, the assumption in any time/value analysis is that time saved can be used more productively elsewhere

consider this; if a product costs less $, you can use that dollar you saved to buy something else and generate more utility (because you still get the utility of the original purchase)

It does fall over when a particular task has its own inherent utility (e.g. is less time drinking a benefit or a cost?)

And remember: blame the economists
Old May 17, 2019, 12:38 am
Original Poster

I'll also add: for those who use AKL regularly, 60 minute cost for checked luggage is appropriate, because any delay at the carousel translates into a rapidly expanding wait at the biosecurity line. It can easily go from a 15 minute queue to a 60 minute one
Old May 17, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akl_traveller
While somewhat correct, the assumption in any time/value analysis is that time saved can be used more productively elsewhere

consider this; if a product costs less $, you can use that dollar you saved to buy something else and generate more utility (because you still get the utility of the original purchase)

It does fall over when a particular task has its own inherent utility (e.g. is less time drinking a benefit or a cost?)

And remember: blame the economists
The other option is realizing that the 10 minutes waiting for the bag does not need to be unproductive time. Getting your cell phone on to the new country's network (can take a few minutes sometimes, depending on where you are), responding to emails that came in while you were flying (if you didn't have wifi or were using that time in another manner), making a phone call to confirm something, opening your uber app ready to request a car as your bag comes off, etc. One thing I often do if the carousel hasn't started (which is pretty rare these days) is find a washroom to use, maybe change into a climate appropriate outfit, fix my hair, etc. another use of otherwise 'dead' time.

I will also note that this ignores the psychological benefits of unscheduled breaks. Doing nothing for 5/ 10 minutes may make that individual more productive when they do get to working - think about the guy, hand baggage only, who gets off the plane, and is go, go, go. When he arrives at the office he hasn't decompressed from that travel experience and may need a few minutes to switch gears. The same traveler who spends 10 minutes waiting for a bag may make that mental shift then, so they arrive ready for the next part of their day.
moondog and Statman like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So have we concluded here, once and for all, that those who check luggage are Blue-footed Boobies, and those who only bring carry-ons are Red-footed Boobies?
moondog likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by akl_traveller
It's that assumption which is not always true and ruins the carry on only argument.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Wow, this all seems really complicated! I'm glad OP is developing a mathematical equation to help everyone decide whether or not they should check a bag. I don't know how we lived without one for all these years
Old May 18, 2019, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
It's that assumption which is not always true and ruins the carry on only argument.
But it's mostly true. We all have a given stock of time, and we can use that time to generate utility (happiness). Now, the underlying philosophy here is that if we can shorten the duration of any task, we can then use that time saved to undertake an activity that generates more utility
Less time in traffic = more time with family at home
Less time waiting for luggage = more time walking around a museum in London etc

Now, you are correct that not all activities are better than waiting for luggage, but our assumption is that enough are.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Wow, this all seems really complicated! I'm glad OP is developing a mathematical equation to help everyone decide whether or not they should check a bag. I don't know how we lived without one for all these years
If you followed the thread through you'll see it actually ended up being a very simple equation with all of three variables

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.