Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Found Boarding Passes

Found Boarding Passes

Old May 6, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I have 2 phones, an apple watch and an ipad with me.

If I am clumsy enough to break both phone, discharge my ipad and my watch is stolen, I guess I could be in trouble and probably don't even deserve to fly.
Sarcasm aside

In this day and age, most everyone is 100000 times more likely to leave their wallet than their cell device, I would still rather "Chance it" than leave my boarding pass laying around.

That said, if doo doo happens, you can always have one printed, I just make than plan B
Two phones, an Apple watch, and an iPad? I'd much rather just carry a folded up piece of paper.
But I don't get folks being so judgemental about this choice (not meaning you in particular, Hipplewm ).
It's not as if someone said they still use an iPod
Old May 6, 2019, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One more reason to NEVER print them and just keep them on your phone
I need to submit boarding passes for reimbursement so I prefer to always print a couple copies.
YVRtoYYZ and luv2vacay like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I need to submit boarding passes for reimbursement so I prefer to always print a couple copies.
I do as well, but luckily my company allows electronic passes, so I screenshot it directly from my phone and submit it.

Originally Posted by rickg523
Two phones, an Apple watch, and an iPad? I'd much rather just carry a folded up piece of paper.
But I don't get folks being so judgemental about this choice (not meaning you in particular, Hipplewm ).
It's not as if someone said they still use an iPod
I even wrote it was Sarcasm to make sure people took it as such.....
That said I don't see the point of a piece of paper. I have found way more boarding passes lying about in the airport than I have wallets or phones. At no point, is your phone going dead, going to hamper you getting on the plane as you can have one printed at any time up to and including while boarding.

My parents (75yo) clung to their paper boarding passes until they traveled with me once and they haven't even contemplated paper since, their like having everything on their phone.

Last edited by Hipplewm; May 6, 2019 at 2:53 pm
Old May 6, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do as well, but luckily my company allows electronic passes, so I screenshot it directly from my phone and submit it.

I even wrote it was Sarcasm to make sure people took it as such.....
That said I don't see the point of a piece of paper. I have found way more boarding passes lying about in the airport than I have wallets or phones. At no point, is your phone going dead, going to hamper you getting on the plane as you can have one printed at any time up to and including while boarding.

My parents (75yo) clung to their paper boarding passes until they traveled with me once and they haven't even contemplated paper since, their like having everything on their phone.
I thought the sarcasm was referring to the possibility of you being boned if all you're devices went south on you at once.
Did you mean you don't actually carry all those devices?
Sorry, missed that...
Still, there seems to be a clear inference that people who carry paper BP's are some kind of Luddite defectives. I don't really think that's warranted because people make different choices than you on this really minor issue. In any event, electronics passes were no life-changing revelation to me. But I'm not that old either.
For the record, I'm agnostic. If I'm around a printer, and want it as a receipt, I'll print it. If not, I'll carry it solely on my phone. But I only carry one device, ever.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I use the kiosk at the airport to print out my boarding pass.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
We on FT all realise that BPs contain private information, but the average person regards it, once used, as an unnecessary piece of paper and therefore gets rid of it. To my mind, it's incumbent on the airlines to print boarding passes that, if found by a crook, won't permit said crook to foul up the original owner.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Makes you wonder why most of the FF number can't just be x'ed out by the printer when printing a BP?
Old May 7, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Apropos of nothing really but I have often wondered who the he** puts their boarding pass - or any other important documents - in that seatback pocket.
Most people are not travel-savvy and, to them, they've used the boarding pass and it no longer serves a purpose. It doesn't occur to them that it actually contains personal information that can be used to cause harm.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:22 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Do some airlines restrict some of the info from the print and leave it up to their agents to get the necessary info
from the bar code?

What information does the passenger really need?

In the original thread opening I was surprised to find the ticket number and record locator but figured it was needed for an intnl trip for someone else.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
All of this is new, how? This has been a known thing since I don't even know.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by etch5895
Makes you wonder why most of the FF number can't just be x'ed out by the printer when printing a BP?
Given a typo can be made when it comes to FFN entry and placement in PNR, there is a utility in being able to see the FFN on the boarding pass.

People may worry about boarding passes, but what can be done with discarded/dropped/listed baggage tags (and/or the info from them) is also not necessarily a joke.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Even if not printed out in roman characters and numbers, most of the information can be found in the 2D barcode anyway...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.