Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Passenger chased me in the terminal to verbally harass me - What would you do?

Old Apr 29, 19, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP

Context: arrival at JFK. Standing in the aisle to deplane, I waited for the passenger in the row ahead to get out of his seat. He appeared to be dilly-dallying, so to avoid delaying myself and other passengers, I stopped waiting for him. I proceeded to exit the aircraft. Inexplicably, he took offense to this. He threw up his hands and yelled "Seriously??"

I exited the aircraft and jet bridge. In the terminal, the same passenger ran up and started to berate me: "Why are you in such a hurry?" etc.

I continued to walk without looking at him or responding, and he simply walked away in another direction.

--

The story above is secondhand. I have no further details. I found two parts incredulous:
  • Sure, planes deboard front to back, but if you're not ready to exit your seat, shouldn't you allow passengers behind you to exit without taking offense as if they cut you in line?
  • How does the "why are you in a hurry?" question make sense in an airport? in a big city known for its frantic pace?
And, for discussion:
  • What is the best way to deal with verbal harassment in the terminal? Ignore, or find airport police?
    • What if this happened on an international arrival, and the harassment occurred while walking to the immigration facility? Would you say anything to a customs or immigration officer?
Old Apr 29, 19, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Ignore the other guy?

Airports are full of stressed out people with varying degrees of self-control. I have no particular desire to find out just how much self-control. Clearly, short of an abject apology and turning over one's life savings, nothing was going to fix this. So, why fix it?

Had the guy not turned away, head for a cop or anybody else with a phone/radio and ask them to call the cops.
Old Apr 29, 19, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I'd try to feel pity on the person for being so miserable and move on
Old Apr 29, 19, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
Context: arrival at JFK. Standing in the aisle to deplane, I waited for the passenger in the row ahead to get out of his seat. He appeared to be dilly-dallying, so to avoid delaying myself and other passengers, I stopped waiting for him. I proceeded to exit the aircraft. Inexplicably, he took offense to this. He threw up his hands and yelled "Seriously??"

I exited the aircraft and jet bridge. In the terminal, the same passenger ran up and started to berate me: "Why are you in such a hurry?" etc.

I continued to walk without looking at him or responding, and he simply walked away in another direction.

--

The story above is secondhand. I have no further details. I found two parts incredulous:
  • Sure, planes deboard front to back, but if you're not ready to exit your seat, shouldn't you allow passengers behind you to exit without taking offense as if they cut you in line?
  • How does the "why are you in a hurry?" question make sense in an airport? in a big city known for its frantic pace?
And, for discussion:
  • What is the best way to deal with verbal harassment in the terminal? Ignore, or find airport police?
    • What if this happened on an international arrival, and the harassment occurred while walking to the immigration facility? Would you say anything to a customs or immigration officer?
Ignore them. If they keep harassing you, find the nearest airport security-type and advise that this person is harassing you. If threatened, don't wait, skip the ignoring part and find a security-type or somewhere where there are a lot of people in view. If you can document this somehow without further threat, do so.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 8:38 pm

Programs: Watergate
Ask the airline for compensation, ofc
mmff, Palal, iskingolf and 11 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 8:46 pm

Mostly ignore, but if I'm in the mood, I'd respond. Something like "I'm not in a hurry, but that doesn't mean I want to wait while you d**k around. Didn't someone let you out when you were ready? Get mad at them why don't you!" And then ignore him.
Old Apr 29, 19, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS DL
Say sorry and that the person behind you jabbed you in the back to go. Ignoring people by walking away may be interpreted as escalation and an attack on their honor, which they may respond with an honor killing.
Old Apr 29, 19, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post

The story above is secondhand. I have no further details. I found two parts incredulous
And, for discussion:
The story above is secondhand

How reliable is this second hand story?

I generally do not engage with short fused travelers.

Last edited by arttravel; Apr 29, 19 at 9:33 pm Reason: clarification
Old Apr 29, 19, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
OT, but I will specifically let one or two pax from 'behind' me to exit, as I am getting from my window seat out to the isle. I will look them in the eye and say 'go' or nod or whatever.

This has the effect of speeding up the overall process- by unclogging the isle behind my row, people can begin the process of grabbing bags. IMO if someone in every 3rd row did this, I expect you will see a faster plane unload.

(It also means I can yank my roller out of the overhead and NOT worry about dropping it on someone crowded right behind. Clean and jerk right to the floor, handle up- and Im usually caught up to the prior pax before we hit the front door)

Oh, on topic: Id ignore the guy.
Old Apr 30, 19, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Shame him back.....when he says snidely why are you in such a hurry say...."I've just received a call that my Gammy is at death's door and I just need to get there so I can see her face one more time"
NYTA likes this.
Old Apr 30, 19, 5:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Step 1: Don't engage. Ignore him. Move on.

If he persists,

Step 2: Beast mode. A unique blend of menace and profanity.

If he blocks my path or puts his hands on me,

Step 3: Administer immediate and possibly painful lesson on why impeding, poking, pushing or prodding complete strangers carries with it certain risks.
Old Apr 30, 19, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
Step 1: Don't engage. Ignore him. Move on.

If he persists,

Step 2: Beast mode. A unique blend of menace and profanity.

If he blocks my path or puts his hands on me,

Step 3: Administer immediate and possibly painful lesson on why impeding, poking, pushing or prodding complete strangers carries with it certain risks.
Uncle Bernie Mac, "Nobody wants to mess with crazy."
Old Apr 30, 19, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In situations where it is in no ones interest to reply I simply say 'I don't speak English' in a language I judge they are unlikely to speak themselves based on appearance and/or location in the world (I can manage it in about a dozen convincingly enough).

Then they can put it down to 'idiot foreigner' and I don't have to engage. It de-escalates situations quicker than ignoring IME.
Old Apr 30, 19, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
Administer immediate and possibly painful lesson on why impeding, poking, pushing or prodding complete strangers carries with it certain risks.
What exactly are you proposing here? In a crowded airport?
Old Apr 30, 19, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by closetasfan View Post
I'd try to feel pity on the person for being so miserable and move on

This. People like this are not worth the time or worry.
freQ likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: