Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does anyone offer lie flat service between SEA and JFK (or other NY airports)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Other than JetBlue Mint service, does anyone offer lie flat service between SEA and JFK or other New York area airports? I thought Delta One was offered but I'm not seeing it on a couple random dates.

Ideally hoping to fly Thur night red eye (thus wanting to catch some sleep) out from SEA and then return late in the day on Sunday (depart NY ~4 or 5pm).
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:10 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Other than Mint, no. DL used to operate a single plane w/ lie-flats, but it wasn't a red-eye, and it does seem to have disappeared from the future schedule.

What's wrong w/ Mint? Great product.

Alternatively, SFO is only a ~2 hour flight from SEA and from there AA, UA, DL, and B6 (basically everyone except AS) offer lie-flats.

Edit: Cathay Pacific also operates a fifth-freedom redeye from YVR (even closer than SFO). However I imagine tickets are quite pricey.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by _fx
Edit: Cathay Pacific also operates a fifth-freedom redeye from YVR (even closer than SFO). However I imagine tickets are quite pricey.
This was the first thought that popped into my head. But yeah, Flyertalkers love to talk about it as an award, not a ticket we actually buy on a regular basis. So it's probably not cheap.

Mint would be a good choice at a more palatable price point.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

I was just looking at options other than Mint since I might have miles or earn miles from it that are useful later on. I only fly for leisure and I seem to stick with Delta mostly so if I'm paying out of pocket than earning the miles back to redeem later on and save some money helps me justify the cost, lol

I'm actually based at PSC, so I would have to fly into SEA, but maybe flying to SFO would be worth it depending on time and price. I think we have at least one or two direct flights to SFO. Basically just trying to cheap out on the hotel in NYC and time required off from work. Wouldn't mind a quick full day Friday/Saturday and Sunday morning trip out for a couple nice restaurants and maybe Broadway shows and then just have to take one day off work (or work four tens that week and save the vacation time for later) and a quick two night stay somewhere.

Mint just seems to hold it's value and was pricing about $1700 round trip for a couple random dates I checked. Since it's just for fun I could keep an eye out with someone else and was thinking if I saw something dip down to like $1200 roundtrip that would be worth it.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: Independent
Does Delta still offer one to Boston? You can always catch the train to South Station and then Silver Line over to Logan.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:21 pm
_fx

I often see Mint SEA-JFK priced at $499, occasionally even $399. But Thurs is a popular travel day, so might be fewer deals.

Not sure if you fly this route regularly, but FYI -- the eastbound flight is quite short, around 4.5 hours in the air. Add in time for takeoff/landing and you're looking at less than 4 hours sleep. Personally, I vastly prefer the early AM flights. You arrive around 4pm local time on a full night's rest. 4pm might seem late, but NYC is open 24/7. And it's since your internal clock is only at 1pm, you've easily got 10+ hours to do stuff before you get tired -- practically a full day. Compare to a red-eye where you'll be dragging your feet by mid-afternoon...
manacit likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _fx
I often see Mint SEA-JFK priced at $499, occasionally even $399. But Thurs is a popular travel day, so might be fewer deals.

Not sure if you fly this route regularly, but FYI -- the eastbound flight is quite short, around 4.5 hours in the air. Add in time for takeoff/landing and you're looking at less than 4 hours sleep. Personally, I vastly prefer the early AM flights. You arrive around 4pm local time on a full night's rest. 4pm might seem late, but NYC is open 24/7. And it's since your internal clock is only at 1pm, you've easily got 10+ hours to do stuff before you get tired -- practically a full day. Compare to a red-eye where you'll be dragging your feet by mid-afternoon...
Hmm, very interesting. Now that I think about it that wouldn't be so bad doing the early AM flight...

Side note, is there any tool or web site to search Mint fares in a calendar type format to just look for the days the have the lowest fares?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Delta does offer it (I flew it earlier this month), but not on every flight.

The 7am JFK-SEA DL183 has it.
The 11am SEA-JFK DL182 has it.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
it also occasionally shows up on an afternoon (~1600) JFK-SEA which turns back as the redeye ~2230
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by acarney
Hmm, very interesting. Now that I think about it that wouldn't be so bad doing the early AM flight...

Side note, is there any tool or web site to search Mint fares in a calendar type format to just look for the days the have the lowest fares?
Matrix month-long search and business class, non-stop.

(if you don't understand the short-hand, ITAmatrix has more search capabilities, one is a flexible searching for a month. You can select business class, and also non-stop.
If you want to just have Jetblue then you can filter by airline, around where you punch in airport codes click on "Advanced Controls" and under routing put in "B6")
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:58 pm
_fx

Originally Posted by acarney
Google Flights does this. Just filter down to B6 as the airline and non-stop flights only: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o. Then click the dates to see a calendar.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by _fx
Google Flights does this. Just filter down to B6 as the airline and non-stop flights only: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o. Then click the dates to see a calendar.
Just make sure you are selecting business class or higher.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by _fx
Other than Mint, no. DL used to operate a single plane w/ lie-flats, but it wasn't a red-eye, and it does seem to have disappeared from the future schedule.

What's wrong w/ Mint? Great product.
Darn it, I just moved to SEA and was looking forward to some D1 service to see family in the NYC area.
I' m sure there's nothing wrong with Mint (I look forward to trying it) but do like earning my Medallion status!

Originally Posted by _fx

I'm not OP but that was helpful for me too, thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by Gig103
Darn it, I just moved to SEA and was looking forward to some D1 service to see family in the NYC area.
I' m sure there's nothing wrong with Mint (I look forward to trying it) but do like earning my Medallion status!
The info from _fx is incorrect. Delta reintroduced Delta One service on some flights on this route.

As mentioned before:

Sometimes there will also be a second flight a day with it.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:09 pm
_fx

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer

The info from _fx is incorrect. Delta reintroduced Delta One service on some flights on this route.

As mentioned before:

Sometimes there will also be a second flight a day with it.
You're right, it does seem to be back. Missed that. However, it is not a red-eye like OP requested. Also pricing at a significant premium ... over $1,000 more than regular F on some dates. Woof. Not sure if that's because simply because of demand, or if DL is charging more off the bat. I remember flying it 1-2 years ago at no additional cost over regular F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.