Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where have the in house guides gone?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Where have the in house guides gone?

I have recently been staying at some hotels which are more up-market than the usual - a couple of Curios and I'm now at the Wynn. All of these have one thing in common: no in-room hotel guide. Apparently if I want to find out what facilities the hotel has I am supposed to ask someone. I am somewhat hard-of-hearing and I'm not very attuned to the American accent especially when spoken rapidly. So I end up wandering around for hours trying to find things. The result is a lot of stress. Is this common or have I just been unlucky?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:09 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
A lot of hotels are replacing a printed guide with an iPad with all of this information.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in TravelBuzz (as this is not specific to Luxury Travel)
Thanks..
Obscure2K
Luxury Hotels and Travel
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I haven't seen any iPads, but some have on-screen guides through the TV.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I've noticed that as well lately. Some do have similar info on their TV hotel info channel, but many do not. At some larger properties it's annoying not to have it. And comes of as penny-pinching by the hotel.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Concierge, front desk, other hotel staff, Device such as iPad, online, TV dedicated info channel.

Nicely printed brochures are simply disappearing because they are expensive and everytime something changes, need to be reprinted and swapped out.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:45 pm

Most hotels have all that information on the TV screen now. If not, then there's usually an app to install as a mobile concierge. If not, then yes, it's incredibly annoying. There should be an easy way to somehow find out what's in the hotel, where it is and what time it opens/closes. A generic welcome letter would cover that and could be easily updated daily if needed.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:29 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
This irks me, too. I thought I was alone in perceiving the lack of guides, but I guess not! I agree it comes across as cheap, especially at up-market properties.
linsj and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The absence of in-house guides is something I appreciate. Too often work space is cluttered with them, magazines and useless promotional items. What is frustrating particularly on a long stay is moving the lot off the desk and out of the way only to find housekeeping has put the items back in their original place.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: BA
Flick through the guide for what you want (eg what time does the airport shuttle start running) : 20 seconds.

Find it through the TV "guide", interlaced with ads : 10 minutes.

You also can't search through the TV version while in the bathroom
MSPeconomist, ryw and PAX_fips like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When you skim through the guide, you sometimes find useful information that you wouldn't have found on the iPad etc. because you didn't know to look for it. For instance, there can be some surprise facility or feature that you like but weren't expecting. A few examples include a guided cactus garden walk, a boat ride on the lake, a tiny museum within the hotel, a viewing deck on the roof, a good restaurant that I hadn't realized was part of the hotel, free shoe shine service, free pressing service, afternoon tea with special music, a wine cellar tour, champagne saboring (StR), happy hour in the lobby,.....
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by LeccyC
I have recently been staying at some hotels which are more up-market than the usual - a couple of Curios and I'm now at the Wynn. All of these have one thing in common: no in-room hotel guide. Apparently if I want to find out what facilities the hotel has I am supposed to ask someone. I am somewhat hard-of-hearing and I'm not very attuned to the American accent especially when spoken rapidly. So I end up wandering around for hours trying to find things. The result is a lot of stress. Is this common or have I just been unlucky?
In places like Vegas, they want ALL your $$$ so why show you any place else ? So if you are Wynn, they do not want you to see daylight...stay indoors with them.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
What is frustrating particularly on a long stay is moving the lot off the desk and out of the way only to find housekeeping has put the items back in their original place.
Every. Single. Day.

And don't get me started on the 'luxury' housekeeping who remove the hand soap and plastic shower cap that I've used only once but don't replace them.
Badenoch likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Am I the only geek who loves reading the in room guide. I love seeing how they make boring stuff sound so exciting.

Just stayed somewhere where it was $8 to have room service delivered. Highway robbery!! It wasn't even a mega fancy hotel.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Am I the only geek who loves reading the in room guide. I love seeing how they make boring stuff sound so exciting.

Just stayed somewhere where it was $8 to have room service delivered. Highway robbery!! It wasn't even a mega fancy hotel.
Did you tip the waiter Kevin ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.