Let’s talk about coach pax using the biz/first lavs

Let’s talk about coach pax using the biz/first lavs

Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by DCAFly
"these people"
Yes, THESE PEOPLE being people who have no respect for boundaries and feel they're entitled to go where they please.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
If there's a divider that separates your cabin from another cabin and the lav is in the cabin beyond that divider, what would make one think that they're entitled to enter that cabin and use the facilities inside, simply because they want to?
I think I saw a story on this a while back. According to all the domestic airlines, All bathrooms on the plane are fair game to be used by ANYONE. You may not like it but... tough! The divider is only there to discourage people from other cabins but in no way prevents them from using them.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/aa-eco......-bathrooms/
84fiero and bitterproffit like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

If there's a divider that separates your cabin from another cabin and the lav is in the cabin beyond that divider, what would make one think that they're entitled to enter that cabin and use the facilities inside, simply because they want to?
What would make one think that they aren't? You pay for a seat, not for access to a cabin. It's not a first class lav, it's a lav that happens to be located near the first class seats.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I pay for the privilege of only a few people using my bathroom in F or J. I don't want it over used and skanky from people who should use the toilet in their section.
This is not one of the advertised privileges of flying F or J. No airline includes this privilege in the price you are paying.

I will use whatever lav is convenient for me. If there is signage or instructions from crew members saying otherwise, of course I will obey. But other than that, it's none of anyone else's business.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
What would make one think that they aren't? You pay for a seat, not for access to a cabin. It's not a first class lav, it's a lav that happens to be located near the first class seats.

This is not one of the advertised privileges of flying F or J. No airline includes this privilege in the price you are paying.

I will use whatever lav is convenient for me. If there is signage or instructions from crew members saying otherwise, of course I will obey. But other than that, it's none of anyone else's business.
FAs frequently make announcements that passengers should use the lavs in their ticketed cabin and turn Y pax back to their lavs when they try to use the F lavs. Just because they don't do it every time or sometimes get lazy about enforcing it doesn't mean it's right to take advantage of this lapse. It may not be explicitly written down, but it seems like something that should be obvious. If you pay for a ticket in a cabin that is divided from the main cabin, the bathrooms in that cabin should likewise be for those passengers. Oddly this is only an issue on American carriers as far as I can recall.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I looked at a feature chart showing a comparison in classes between Delta One, First Class, Economy, Comfort, etc and it doesn't list 'dedicated lav' as a feature of any of the classes.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ess-class.html

This list of features with American first class doesn't mention a dedicated lav.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...eats/first.jsp

Even Polaris 'exclusive service' doesn't mention anything about lavs.

So why do first class passengers think the lav in the front is reserved for them if it isn't stated anywhere that it is reserved for them?

They didn't pay for exclusive access to the front lav as that isn't even mentioned as a feature of paying extra for first class service.

I know this is an unpopular opinion.
I suspect -- read: I did not go and examine all of the pertinent links -- that none of them make any explicit remarks about reserving overhead bins to those in their cabin either, so assuming that's not mentioned would you say those are fair game for anyone too?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by livebetter_travelmore
I suspect -- read: I did not go and examine all of the pertinent links -- that none of them make any explicit remarks about reserving overhead bins to those in their cabin either, so assuming that's not mentioned would you say those are fair game for anyone too?
This is another galling thing that I frequently see. The FAs often don't police this, so Y pax will board, stash their bags in F overheads, then when the F pax board they find no space for their bags. I guess according to many posters in here, if the FAs don't stop them that means it's explicitly OK!
Gringa and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'll say this as someone who does get annoyed with people behind the curtain use bathroom in front of the curtain: there are much bigger issues to get upset over. We (including me) need to put things in perspective. Maybe at least some of them really need to go, maybe some of them are blocked by those interminable drinks service, maybe there's a long line for the loos in the back. I've been in these situations myself and force myself to sit squirming in my seat out of fear of upsetting people up front. But I discovered recently that at least on UA, FAs allow you to go up front when the drinks carts are out.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thebakaronis
I'll say this as someone who does get annoyed with people behind the curtain use bathroom in front of the curtain: there are much bigger issues to get upset over. We (including me) need to put things in perspective. Maybe at least some of them really need to go, maybe some of them are blocked by those interminable drinks service, maybe there's a long line for the loos in the back. I've been in these situations myself and force myself to sit squirming in my seat out of fear of upsetting people up front. But I discovered recently that at least on UA, FAs allow you to go up front when the drinks carts are out.
I'm with you. I'm sure they don't WANT to wait on line for the lavs in the back. When I'm in the back, I don't WANT to wait on the line either, but I do, because it's the right thing to do.
Gringa and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:40 pm

rickg523 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jep8821
Its ok because the airlines themselves say its ok... you are the one that has the problem with it...
Despite the existence of a tweet, I don't know how official that is. Why do the FAs often say the opposite then?
Gringa likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
When I'm in row 40, I like to go up and use the F loo.

Mainly so I can check on my carry-on bag which I've stowed above row 3.

I do all of this barefoot, of course.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:48 pm

Despite the existence of a tweet, I don't know how official that is. Why do the FAs often say the opposite then?
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/a...-airlines.html
they followed up with the PR team who confirmed it
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jep8821
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/a...-airlines.html
they followed up with the PR team who confirmed it
Wow, terrible.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I pay for the privilege of only a few people using my bathroom in F or J. I don't want it over used and skanky from people who should use the toilet in their section.
I'm not sure whether there is an implication here that Y pax are "skankier" than F pax, but from my experience, skankiness is not confined to the back of the plane.
MeltingAlf and thebakaronis like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Easy Answer. Because they are. There is no 'do not enter' on your precious curtain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.