Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What’s your best “I can’t believe that I made that flight” story?

What’s your best “I can’t believe that I made that flight” story?

Old May 12, 19, 1:46 am

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Two times...
feb 1996, dub-Lhr-mad - I’ve checked in at DUB and am having a leisurely coffee with friends. We say farewell at security and I’m walking past the security, retrieving my carryon, and I hear a page. Get to my gate and I’m among the last on flight... GA mentions that they were preparing to remove my luggage!

july 2018, Sfo-ord - 11:00a flight gets rolling MX delays and soon it’s near 2:00p. We are at the same gate and GA mentions that boarding for Sfo-ord will soon commence. My wife goes to get an iced tea and GA makes a new announcement for the flight pre-boarding pax, adding that PAX for the delayed 11:00a flight should be at a different bud nearby gate! Eek. My son and I get to the other gate and see that it’s mostly empty but thankfully it’s not yet closed! I ring my wife, tell her to go to the new gate ASAP, and she has to hustle over without her paid-for iced tea. Lucky that we made that flight because I doubt there would have been another Sfo-ord with room for 3! These flights are always full.
Old May 12, 19, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
Palma to Madrid - 8:00AM flight, there in plenty of time, bags already checked so intentionally one of the last to board.

However, there was another flight at exactly the same time, same airline (Air Europa). The gate agent told us to run, which we did, and Palma is a huge airport for a small town. We made it just as standbys were about to board.

I had never seen two flights to the same destination at the same time on the same airline, so just assumed the first one I looked at was the right one.
Old May 13, 19, 2:25 am

Flight from Tbilisi to Istanbul, came about 20 minutes before takeoff. An acquaintance charmed the officials to accept my luggage (thank you heavens for online check-in), after which we skipped over several swerves of the line, Mission Impossible style, for passport check, with an excuse that I am reeeally late for my flight. Somehow we managed to pull it off and I hopped on the plane in the last minute. So stressful, never again!
Old May 13, 19, 2:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
TXL-PRG-CDG (Skyteam award ticket), with a 25 min. connection in PRG (was in 2013, not sure they would sell such short connections now actually).

Our plane at TXL was 45 min late (former OK519). Upon landing in PRG, we had to take a bus, because you know, ATR42, - at that point I just assumed I missed the flight and was good for an overnight stay in PRG (flight from TXL @1900 and connecting flight to CDG @2030). Once in the terminal (litterally as we passed the entrance from the runway to the building), we heard a "very last call for passengers offvoice & YYY before cancellation".

YYY, who happened to be on the same flight from PRG, saw the panic in my eye, and we had this non-verbal communication but instantly knew what we had to do. We grabbed our carry-on between our arms and made a run for it (PRG is actually larger than it seems when you have to run). And we actually made it to the gate when they were closing them. Shortest connection I ever had.

Last edited by offvoice; May 18, 19 at 3:14 am Reason: typo
Old May 15, 19, 8:06 am

I scanned into the wrong terminal (apparently at Gatwick at the time it didn’t tell you when you scanned in).. so when I realised 20 mins after going through security and not seeing our flight on the board, I went and asked how I could switch terminals.. they told me I couldn’t do this and had to go through immigration and go to the airline desk and get another boarding card.. I ran to the other terminal and got to the check in and asked the gentleman if I could quickly speak to the desk agent.. He was very kind and let us do this and the agent printed out new boarding passes.. we got to security and I looked at the passports and noticed one wasn’t mine.. handed it to the person I was with and then opened the other one and realised it was his.. the agent had given me the gentlemans passport.. I ran back as fast as my legs could take me and luckily he was still at the desk.

We managed to get to the gate with 15 mins to spare.
SFO777 likes this.
Old May 15, 19, 5:08 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by MiraculousM View Post
I scanned into the wrong terminal (apparently at Gatwick at the time it didn’t tell you when you scanned in).. so when I realised 20 mins after going through security and not seeing our flight on the board, I went and asked how I could switch terminals.. they told me I couldn’t do this and had to go through immigration and go to the airline desk and get another boarding card.. I ran to the other terminal and got to the check in and asked the gentleman if I could quickly speak to the desk agent.. He was very kind and let us do this and the agent printed out new boarding passes.. we got to security and I looked at the passports and noticed one wasn’t mine.. handed it to the person I was with and then opened the other one and realised it was his.. the agent had given me the gentlemans passport.. I ran back as fast as my legs could take me and luckily he was still at the desk.

We managed to get to the gate with 15 mins to spare.
That had more twists than the Usual Suspects
Old May 21, 19, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Back in pre-9/11 days, I had a connection on Continental in Houston to fly to DCA on an afternoon/evening flight after work. There were weather issues and mass delays, and by the time I arrived in Houston, there were only six flights left departing from the entire airport before it shut down for the night. My flight to DCA was long gone, but one of the six flights was to Dulles, and it was boarding. I had only carry on, so ran to the gate for the Dulles flight. I had to move between terminals. Another man on my flight was supposed to be on the same schedule. He decided I knew what I was doing and followed me, even though we didn’t know each other. We got to the gate for the Dulles flight and ran up to the jetway past the gate attendant, who had ended boarding, and ran down the jetway yelling at the cabin crew as they were closing the door. They stopped, and on learning we had no checked bags, allowed us on board. Nowadays we would probably be arrested for that stunt. My follower actually used one of those phones in the back of the seat to call and arrange for pickup by his family at Dulles instead of DCA. Only time I ever saw anyone actually use one of those! When I got to Dulles, I realized my rental car was waiting for me at Washington National, so I called and shifted the reservation to Dulles. It saved me a lot of trouble, but was an exhausting experience. I doubt it would work now in the National Security Age.
Old May 23, 19, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I have plenty of oversleeping at the hotel but still making the flight stories, sometimes with only 15 minutes between waking up in the hotel and departure. Thankfully I had returned the rental car the night before. Others would be delayed inbound flights at IAH, changing terminals via the train with 10 minutes only and still making the flight.

The best is back in the 80's at the old Stapleton airport when boarding pass said one thing for the gate, reality was a different gate in a different concourse. Dad and I were simply putting mom on a flight back to DSM, but by the time we got to the correct gate the door was closed and they were already pushing back. That didn't stop my father doing something incredibly stupid. He went out the emergency exit door and flagged down the airplane. Shockingly they came back to the gate for Mom, and didn't arrest my Dad. If he were still alive and pulled that stunt now, I'm sure he would have spent some quality time in jail, or found death a little sooner.
Old May 23, 19, 12:31 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
That didn't stop my father doing something incredibly stupid. He went out the emergency exit door and flagged down the airplane. Shockingly they came back to the gate for Mom, and didn't arrest my Dad. If he were still alive and pulled that stunt now, I'm sure he would have spent some quality time in jail, or found death a little sooner.
The only thing that convinced me this is in any way true is, why would you have bothered to post it if it weren’t? Lol
Old May 23, 19, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA
A story from my mom (I was there too but was a little young to remember it being about 2 years old).

We were flying through DFW with a connection requiring changing terminals (back when changing terminals meant clearing security). We landed late and were rushing to make the connection (along with a pregnant lady making the same connection). Of course, the departing gate was as far from security as it could be. My mom left me at security with the pregnant lady, ran to the gate, threw her tickets at the agents who were starting to shut the door to the jetbridge and told them "I'm on that plane! Don't you dare shut that door without me!" Then she walked back to security to get me and the pregnant lady. I guess mom voice scared the agents because we all made the flight.
Old May 23, 19, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by roberino View Post

The only thing that convinced me this is in any way true is, why would you have bothered to post it if it weren’t? Lol
Until my father passed away in February of this year, this was a common discussion of why he was an idiot in doing what he did. I remember every detail of him doing what he did, and between my friends at the airlines, airports, and even the TSA, we all agree this would not have ended well if it happened today. Dad always did things that would scare the hell out of me, that is simply in his nature. Now that I think about it, he feared the wrath of mom much worse than airport security. I wish I had video of him doing this.
roberino, wrp96 and ajGoes like this.
Old May 24, 19, 8:22 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
Until my father passed away in February of this year, this was a common discussion of why he was an idiot in doing what he did. I remember every detail of him doing what he did, and between my friends at the airlines, airports, and even the TSA, we all agree this would not have ended well if it happened today. Dad always did things that would scare the hell out of me, that is simply in his nature. Now that I think about it, he feared the wrath of mom much worse than airport security. I wish I had video of him doing this.
And these crazy stories will be the best memories to share about Pops. I'm sorry for your loss.
COSPILOT likes this.
Old May 24, 19, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Not the greatest story, but I would've missed my positioning flight yesterday to ARN if it weren't for BA's online check in notification. Thank goodness my boss was understanding about adding another day of vacations at the last minute
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 24, 19, 10:42 am

I have one more fun experience to share.

Back story is I'm the seasoned traveler, with an engineer from Philly traveling with me. At the time I was a multi year 1K, usually on segments, he on the other hand was a complete rookie with zero experience in the frequent traveler world. It was his first time flying via DEN, so I thought I would give him a tour of the airport, including other concourses. He kept expressing concern about getting back to our gate as it was boarding, and I kept saying we had plenty of time. What I didn't realize is that I was flying so much I had last weeks boarding pass pulled up in my Apple Wallet, not the current one. We made the flight, but were the very last to board.
wrp96 and TechnoTourist like this.
Old May 24, 19, 2:27 pm

Fort Lauderdale to Trenton last year on F9. I got to FLL over an hour in advance and met with a friend arriving into FLL at a bar landside. I could see the security line was short and I have precheck.
About 30 minutes before my flight I leave the bar to go through security. I got a secondary screening of my carry on that took a while because TSA was understaffed. I finally left the checkpoint 5 minutes before my flight was to depart.
But through the windows I saw a lightning bolt. I was never so happy to see a thunderstorm in my life as I was that day. My flight was delayed by an hour

Search this Thread