Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What to put on a personalized luggage tag?

Old Apr 10, 19, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

I'm ready for a new set of luggage tags. But I can't really figure out the best compromise between privacy and efficiency. I obviously want a lost bag to find its way back to me, but I also don't want every casual onlooker to see my full info.

My current tags have my last name, my business address, and my cell phone number.

I also have a few of the eBags tags that are basically anonymous until you enable the option to communicate with you through eBags' website. This approach has a lot of merit, but isn't super-easy to replicate on my own, which I'd like to do. I also don't know that the less technically inclined would be able to pursue this return option very easily.

I feel like I should have on here:

-a URL that I control, but that I'd like to be pretty anonymous also. I'd put this on in QR code format also.
-an email address, also anonymous. Maybe I set up a random Gmail account that forwards to me (lostluggage and lostbag @gmail are already taken - doh!). Could put a QR on for this too.
-a phone number. This feels like it really has to be my primary cell number. I suppose I could do a Google Voice that forwards, but I'm not sure what the point really is.
-a physical address? Maybe that's too old-school, but I also don't really mind having my work address on there.
-my name, or some portion of it

Someone else out there has probably thought this through. Any good ideas here?
Old Apr 10, 19, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
I'm ready for a new set of luggage tags. But I can't really figure out the best compromise between privacy and efficiency. I obviously want a lost bag to find its way back to me, but I also don't want every casual onlooker to see my full info.

My current tags have my last name, my business address, and my cell phone number.

I also have a few of the eBags tags that are basically anonymous until you enable the option to communicate with you through eBags' website. This approach has a lot of merit, but isn't super-easy to replicate on my own, which I'd like to do. I also don't know that the less technically inclined would be able to pursue this return option very easily.

-a URL that I control, but that I'd like to be pretty anonymous also. I'd put this on in QR code format also.
-an email address, also anonymous. Maybe I set up a random Gmail account that forwards to me (lostluggage and lostbag @gmail are already taken - doh!). Could put a QR on for this too.
-a phone number. This feels like it really has to be my primary cell number. I suppose I could do a Google Voice that forwards, but I'm not sure what the point really is.
-a physical address? Maybe that's too old-school, but I also don't really mind having my work address on there.

The catch is you need to balance your privacy with the finder's convenience. If you make it too burdensome for the finder, they might just say screw it, it's not worth the effort. Personally when I travel, I put my real name and an email address (like [email protected]) that isn't really related to me or my work. No phone number (not everyone would be willing to call long distance and if you're going overseas, do you really want to keep your home/work active, especially if you're paying for the accidental data you will use). If you want to add a comment like "reward if returned", that'd likely work as well (although they may ask you what the reward is to gauge if it's worth it)...
Old Apr 11, 19, 12:10 am

Depending where you are flying to , a WhatsApp , Wechat or Line Id would probably get you a quicker response ,

I always put a copy of my passport and itinerary inside my bag , face up
Old Apr 11, 19, 12:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm Club, AS MVP, EK Skywards Blue, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold Elite
I really think an email address is all that is needed in this day and age.

You could put a tel no but obviously need to make sure it is always working...

I have read that one should avoid putting address on luggage tags as some say it informs thieves of a potentially vacant home.

The most important thing though is to make sure whatever is on your tag is legible. I used to work in lost luggage and it beggars belief how few people label their luggage. Of the few who do label their luggage in my experience in the region of 20-30% cannot write legibly!

It is also sensible to make sure your luggage is easily identifiable by avoiding standard black luggage, getting a bright coloured strap or two etc.

If your tag is legible and your bag is a bit unique it stands a much higher chance than most of being found and successfully returned...
Old Apr 11, 19, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA Plat / DL & HH Diamond
Feel this is a broader topic than appropriate for travel "technology". Transporting the thread to travel "buzz" for a wider audience.
Old Apr 11, 19, 8:58 pm

If you decide to get something like these personalized tags, don't do what I did and get "NOT YOURS" on them or else you'll probably pick up your bag at your destination to discover someone has stolen the tag...serves me right for being a smartass.

Fortunately I had a more generic, less attractive tag on my suitcase as well.

The second tag, with the same marking, will be going on bags that stay with me and aren't checked.
Old Apr 12, 19, 6:27 am

I tend to have name, email address, and mobile number on my tags. Gives people multiple contact options. I've had the same mobile number for over 25 years so have no qualms about handing it out.

I have never put an address (home or destination).
Old Apr 12, 19, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use my business card inside the luggage tag holder. I don't care if they have my work email / address / phone. It actually came in handy having my name on the tag at screening 2 days ago in Atlanta - I opt out of the scanner, and had to wait for a female search, and during that time they wanted to check something in my bag that had already gone through. They were able to call out 'hey, do we have an Emma here' and I could identify the bag as mine.
Old Apr 12, 19, 8:15 am

I love to hear from 'someone in the know' about just how much effort is put into reuniting missing bags with owners.

Whether, for example does putting address details inside suitcases actually work?
My own feeling is that the details inside a case are only seen for the first time just before the case goes onto the auction lot.
Old Apr 12, 19, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post

An airline tag with your name and number
Or you can get one that info is hidden under a flap
Old Apr 12, 19, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carnforth View Post
I love to hear from 'someone in the know' about just how much effort is put into reuniting missing bags with owners.

Whether, for example does putting address details inside suitcases actually work?
My own feeling is that the details inside a case are only seen for the first time just before the case goes onto the auction lot.
Yes, they open the luggage sometimes - my mother's case was roughly handled, breaking the handle, and thus removing both the paper airline tag, and her personal tag. Bag ended up in another country, and by opening the case found her name and phone number and called to find out who she was / where she was, and the bag made it back a few days later.
Old Apr 12, 19, 10:29 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
"Keep Calm and Carry On"?
josephstern and Giantlonglegs like this.
Old Apr 12, 19, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
"Keep Calm and Carry On"?
Winner!
Old Apr 12, 19, 11:42 am

Programs: AA
All I had on my luggage tag was my airline FF traveler numbers. I know that freaks people out, but I did not have my name, number, address, or any other personal information whatsoever on the bag, nor on anything within the bag.

They way I figgured it, the ones who would most want that info were the airlines with a mishandled bag. Or, it was likely to e found somewhere in an airport. Places where they can bring it up to an airline counter and say they found this. The airlines would probably be wise enough to recognize an FF number, and if they were legit they could then look up the contact info.
Old Apr 12, 19, 11:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm Club, AS MVP, EK Skywards Blue, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Carnforth View Post

In my experience, a bag is only opened as a last resort. As a handler, we were only able to open it in company of airline rep. To get an airline rep to come to handler's baggage office was generally a pain and a last resort and would take ages. It also seldom provided any further contact details.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: