Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Bunk beds in the cargo hold....

Interesting concept.... I’d certainly need some convincing though. 😳

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.t...n-flights/amp/
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Not for me! Being horizontal is the number one thing I like about business class
Hvr likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Not for me! Being horizontal is the number one thing I like about business class
fair point.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA
Cargo holds carry revenue cargo, often at higher utilisation factors than the passenger cabin above. One of the key downsides of the A380, with two passenger decks and all their baggage in the hold, has been insufficient cargo space, the proportions are wrong. Airlines started using all their space, both ways, long ago (both ways because unlike passengers cargo invariably goes one way only, you need to find a different source of cargo for the return). Although you may see some freighters, and the big package express companies, the considerable majority of air freight goes by underfloor hold.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Only slightly more likely than stand-up seating, another aircraft "innovation" that regularly pops up, IMHO.
MissJ likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:25 pm

If they could make the hold area similar to what they were showing in the first graphic (basically berths or capsule hotels) then that'd work. You'd just need someone to make sure that people are fastened down during takeoff and landings... The only big issue would be keeping them clean...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Gold, IHG Spire
Sounds interesting as the 350ULR have to have 1 to 2 cargo positions deactivated due to weight issues.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:18 am

I would love a capsule hotel type bed , but it will not be cheap !
Annalisa12 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Yeah, I don’t see this happening either, not for technical reasons but economic ones - cargo tends to be more lucrative than Economy passengers. There’s no way business class accommodations would be made available at Economy class prices, especially if it displaces cargo.
MissJ and mmff like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:10 pm

Wasn't there another option about utilizing unused overhead space?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would love the option to bunk down while flying economy. You could even do it so that the bunks are only accessible after take off, and before landing, and have a system in economy where, for example, you seat everyone, and when those who book a bunk go downstairs, the other economy passenger could convert the seats to a sky couch arrangement (not every row, but some of them).
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Wasn't there another option about utilizing unused overhead space?
Yes, I believe it was promoted by The Onion. Because there's always unused overhead space ...
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Yes, I believe it was promoted by The Onion. Because there's always unused overhead space ...
I'll have to search - it's not the overhead carry-on bins. It's in the space above the cabin where the crew rest areas are currently located. I think the crew areas are only a small portion of the length of the fuselage.

Although when you look at photos of old train cars, the overhead bin space is exactly where they would store sleepers. They actually looked like the angled bins on 777's - at night they would pull down into a bunk and then the lower seats would be converted.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Independent
The idea is that you have a seat for takeoff and landing - in this case potentially tighter as you are in it for only short periods of time - and then move down to the beds once in the air. Obviously this is for real long haul flights. The idea has been around for a long time- I think it was technically offered at one point, but could be wrong. They already make them - they are used for crew rests, look them up on google images. The big issue is the evacuation requirements, but that is probably easily overcome.

As for the overhead space - that was a Boeing idea for the 747. If you look at the cross section of a wide-body airliner there is a lot of space above the bins because the fuselage is a circle more or less. Again it already exists on A330s for crew rests.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:03 pm

Seems like The Telegraph is about a year late with this story. (Plus, they need an editor because they misspell the word "business" in the first sentence.) If you search "airline bunk beds" in your favorite search engine, you'll likely find a bunch of articles from April 2018 about this concept. They use the exact same images, too.

Originally Posted by Cloudship
The idea is that you have a seat for takeoff and landing - in this case potentially tighter as you are in it for only short periods of time - and then move down to the beds once in the air. Obviously this is for real long haul flights.
That's how it's explained in this article:

Airbus says they’ll be aimed at economy-class passengers, who would still have to spend takeoff and landing in a regular seat—the sort that's been through extensive crash testing. But during a flight, fliers could rent a bunk, presumably for less than the price of a lie-flat business-class seat, and get some proper rest.
Source: https://www.wired.com/story/airbus-beds-cargo-hold/

Originally Posted by WHBM
Cargo holds carry revenue cargo, often at higher utilisation factors than the passenger cabin above. One of the key downsides of the A380, with two passenger decks and all their baggage in the hold, has been insufficient cargo space, the proportions are wrong. Airlines started using all their space, both ways, long ago (both ways because unlike passengers cargo invariably goes one way only, you need to find a different source of cargo for the return). Although you may see some freighters, and the big package express companies, the considerable majority of air freight goes by underfloor hold.
These passenger compartments can theoretically get swapped in/out depending upon needs of the airline according to the design firm (Zodiac):

What is clear is that airlines may swap the modules in and out depending on where a particular plane is headed. “The new passenger modules will be easily interchangeable with regular cargo containers during a typical turnaround,” Zodiac said in a statement, meaning the beds could be removed for short trips and installed for longer flights.
Source: https://www.cntraveler.com/story/air...the-cargo-hold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.